or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to France, what sort of SF approved things can I do there?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to France, what sort of SF approved things can I do there?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
I'm headed to France for a vacation next week. I'll be spending 3 days around Rhône and Lyon, then another 4 in Paris. France doesn't get the sartorial love that Italy and England do, but what can a small timer do there as far as food and clothing? I'll also try to post a WAYWRN shot or two from there.
post #2 of 47
I can't speak about the Rhone valley or Lyon. I know Paris and the Riviera a little.

In Paris, my favourite restaurant is Tastevin, on the Ille St. Louis. We had a great meal at L'Orangarie (close by) a few years ago but I've read that it isn't what it used to be.

Charvet, of course, is pretty much World Headquarters for great shirts. But expect to be ignored, as I was, if you don't make a strong sartorial impression as you walk in.
post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeMan View Post
But expect to be ignored, as I was, if you don't make a strong sartorial impression as you walk in.

O RLY?

Also, OP should do a search -- there should be a lot of threads about this.
post #4 of 47
ascots

dl
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
I'm headed to France for a vacation next week. I'll be spending 3 days around Rhône and Lyon, then another 4 in Paris. France doesn't get the sartorial love that Italy and England do, but what can a small timer do there as far as food and clothing?

I'll also try to post a WAYWRN shot or two from there.

his Year:


Arthur et Fox

I posted this earlier this year re: Paris shopping.


I endorse Max Jones' recommendation for Arthur et Fox
on Boulvard St Germaine.I have slacks from them,
one pair of which is over twenty years old and still looks
good. They sell classical British-inspired clothing of very
high quality at relatively reasonable prices.

Other locations:

Arthur et Fox
Rue Vignon
75009 9ème Arrondissement Paris, Paris, France
01 47 42 00 32‎
01 47 42 86 81‎ - Fax

Arthur et Fox
44, Rue Bac
75007 Paris, France
01 45 44 90 40‎
post #6 of 47
Have a Bloody Mary at Harry's Bar in Paris.
post #7 of 47
Shoes!
Or at least take a million photos of shoe displays & post them here.
post #8 of 47
Dinner at Taillevent ... or if on a budget ... at L'Angle du Faubourg.
post #9 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
O RLY? Also, OP should do a search -- there should be a lot of threads about this.
I only did a cursory search with France in the title in MC and GC and little came up. If there's one thing that invariably holds, it's me being lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnyc View Post
Have a Bloody Mary at Harry's Bar in Paris.
Now we're on to something, but this is incongruent with my grand visions of exclusively drinking wine. I think I'll add this to my potential queue of places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post
Shoes! Or at least take a million photos of shoe displays & post them here.
No doubt I'll stop by the JL store and whatever else I can run into. It's a shame the $ vs. € battle has taken a decidedly poor turn for us west of the Atlantic.
post #10 of 47
No mention if you're going solo. My ladyfriend is infatuated with LaDuree's macaroons and candles. Lurk around St. Honore street, hit Lanvin and Colette amongst others. Also if you're going to the Eiffel tower buy your ticket online or at your hotel to avoid a looooong line. The obivious: Hang out on the lawn at Sacre Coeur (weather permitting) Go to the top of the Pompidou Centre to grab a bite, appreciate the art, watch the sunset Go to the Louvre Hang out at any cafe at night:
post #11 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeMan View Post
Charvet, of course, is pretty much World Headquarters for great shirts. But expect to be ignored, as I was, if you don't make a strong sartorial impression as you walk in.

I walked into Charvet just this summer in a pair of shorts and a polo T-shirt and I was treated very well. I was personally escorted to their RTW section and warmly encouraged to try on some stuff and take my time just looking around. (For full disclosure, however, I was also wearing a pair of bright orange boat shoes, which perhaps, made some sort of a "sartorial impression", though perhaps not in the way Wildeman meant.)

The OP should note, however, that The Ritz, which is also on Place Vendome, refused me entry when I wanted to go in there for tea - after the oh-so-strenuous shopping experience at Charvet, naturally - on account of my shorts. (Waving my Charvet shopping bag in the face of the doorman did not seem to help.)

As opposed to The Ritz, I would recommend Hotel Costes, which is in the vicinity, and where the food is amazing (if a tad pricey), the ambience is somewhat classy, and where the doorman has just the right touch of snobbery without being unwelcoming.

I would also encourage the OP to do some search as Paris has been well covered on the forum.
post #12 of 47
Have a coffee on the roof of Printemps - for the view. (http://departmentstoreparis.printemp...rticleID=17780)
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbowtie View Post
I walked into Charvet just this summer in a pair of shorts and a polo T-shirt and I was treated very well.

Just goes to show you that Paris is loosing it.
You should have been beaten with bolts of cheap fabric and thrown out on the street.
post #14 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra View Post
Just goes to show you that Paris is loosing it. You should have been beaten with bolts of cheap fabric and thrown out on the street.
Every place in this world "lose it" much time before!
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnyc View Post
No mention if you're going solo. My ladyfriend is infatuated with LaDuree's macaroons and candles.

+1 for my ladyfriend, I think she prefers to be called my wife, though. As for you, J.M. Weston on the Champs d'Elysses has great shoes and I found the staff to be exceedingly friendly. So friendly, in fact, that my wife didn't balk at the price tag of what we walked out with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Going to France, what sort of SF approved things can I do there?