or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LED tv

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Anyone have any or has enough knowledge to tell me the advantages of them?
post #2 of 36
As compared to? In general, the only advantage LCDs have is that they work relatively well in bright rooms. For any other important aspect of a display, they are beaten by some other kind of technology. --Andre edit: oops, I read "LED" as "LCD". Go with what Brian said.
post #3 of 36
From what I understand they have the main advantages of LCDs (work better in bright rooms, less power consumption) but have better black level performance, a major weakness of LCDs.
post #4 of 36
Most (all?) of the LED TVs on the market aren't 100% LED, its just the outer ring. It will be a fantastic technology once it becomes more economically viable.
post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 
I have an LCD in my room now, but I'm looking to buy the new LEDs. I saw them today while furniture shopping and was so suprised at how thin they can make them. What I saw, they actually looked better than the LCDs on display beside them.
post #6 of 36
The really thin sets are edge-lit, meaning the LEDs are on the side, instead of behind the screen. You get a thin profile, but non-uniform brightness across the screen. Backlit LED sets have more uniform lighting, and can do local dimming to get better black levels, but are thicker.

--Andre
post #7 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
The really thin sets are edge-lit, meaning the LEDs are on the side, instead of behind the screen. You get a thin profile, but non-uniform brightness across the screen. Backlit LED sets have more uniform lighting, and can do local dimming to get better black levels, but are thicker.

--Andre

so the only upside is a thinner set? Seems kind of a waste for thousands more.

When you talk about non-uniform brightness is it really pronounced? Enough so that it would disrupt viewing?
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post
so the only upside is a thinner set? Seems kind of a waste for thousands more.

When you talk about non-uniform brightness is it really pronounced? Enough so that it would disrupt viewing?

Some people will pay lots of $$$ for thinner sets, picture quality be damned. I would judge for yourself, but it's usually apparent only on scenes with a black or white swath of color that goes from edge-to-edge.

--Andre
post #9 of 36
Thread Starter 
So I now have a question for you..I have a Bravia XBR; do I:

A) buy a new model XBR LCD
B) kop a samsung LED
C) wait a little longer and see what other selection there is for LEDs

*I don't need to buy right away, seeing as I intend to move out at earliest next summer.*


EDIT: in writing this, I kinda see that C is more of the right option.
post #10 of 36
C.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post
So I now have a question for you..I have a Bravia XBR; do I:

A) buy a new model XBR LCD
B) kop a samsung LED
C) wait a little longer and see what other selection there is for LEDs

*I don't need to buy right away, seeing as I intend to move out at earliest next summer.*


EDIT: in writing this, I kinda see that C is more of the right option.

C unless you really want the best in PQ and don't care so much about how thin the set is.

I believe Sony has discontinued their local dimming set the XBR8. It's a great set and if you really want the best LCD for PQ you may still be able to find a few around in stores (this is why you shouldn't wait if this is what you want). They discontinued them because they were a bit costly to produce for them. There is no official news of a model coming out to replace it, so it may be the last of a dying breed.

I have a 55" XBR8 and I am really happy with it.
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianja View Post
C unless you really want the best in PQ and don't care so much about how thin the set is.
If he really wanted the best in PQ he would get a plasma.
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax View Post
If he really wanted the best in PQ he would get a plasma.

post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax View Post
If he really wanted the best in PQ he would get a plasma.

+1

--Andre
post #15 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax View Post
If he really wanted the best in PQ he would get a plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post
+1

--Andre

are plasmas really better? I heard they have a tendency to burn the images on the screen, is this true?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home