Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk about COFFEE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets talk about COFFEE - Page 284

post #4246 of 4357
While I appreciate Kenya and Ethiopia as the "birthplace" of coffee, my under the radar picks are Burundi and Rwanda. I have not had a Burundi that was less than great, most are stellar. Rwanda can be hit or miss but worth it when it is a hit. Prices are typically lower for both. Keep in mind that I am buying green and roasting myself.
post #4247 of 4357
I think my favorite is natural Yemeni. Just do hard to find especially at a reasonable price
post #4248 of 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

Just do hard to find especially at a reasonable price

ATL, Baby.
post #4249 of 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post


I know there are Kenyan auctions for the best grades of coffee. I've had some and they are great, but most of what gets the most attention I've noticed is a particular style of coffee that comes out of Africa. It's generally very fruity. I think there are many other regions that have coffee just as "good" but they are just very different in style and not really in vogue.


Basically this. 

 

Kenyan coffees tend to exhibit big, red fruit flavors that are really easy for even novices to taste. 

post #4250 of 4357
I'm decreeing it: A Y and pBooth are the smartest coffee folks on the internet.
post #4251 of 4357
AY for sure, I'm just an opinionated jerk who drinks too much of the stuff.
post #4252 of 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

I'm decreeing it: A Y and pBooth are the smartest coffee folks on the internet.

Thanks but I'm just an interested enthusiast. Lots of good resources out there to learn from. For example, Sweet Maria's summaries of various varietals from around the world:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

Look under Green Coffee, and click on one of their regions. For example, their summary of Kenya (which my experience agrees with) is that it has big acidity. I think of it as closer to what the Central Americans do and never really thought it as fruit forward, which was why Barrington's Kenya Peaberry was such a big surprise for me. As a rule, I don't go out of my way to try Kenyans, just as I generally don't like most Central American coffees, but different strokes ...

Scott Rao's Everything But Espresso is also an amazing book full of technical details, but it may be too wonky for you.
post #4253 of 4357
post #4254 of 4357

What the....
post #4255 of 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

I have about three cups of beans left what should I order next? I like at the moment juicy fruity and unusual coffees.

I'm drinking an organic bean from Papua New Guinea by the Timuza collective. From what I can tell, PNG is an emerging player in the specialty coffee space. Certainly juicy and I get a hint of grapefruit rind. You might like it.
post #4256 of 4357
Made By Knock is having a 20% sale on their Feldgrind hand grinders with cosmetic flaws. If you want an amazing grinder (it's the best grinder I've used), here's your chance.

http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p32/JANUARY_2017_CLEAROUT_SALE%3A__20%25_reduced_BLACK_%26_COLOUR_FELDGRIND_2NDS.html
post #4257 of 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

Made By Knock is having a 20% sale on their Feldgrind hand grinders with cosmetic flaws. If you want an amazing grinder (it's the best grinder I've used), here's your chance.

http://www.madebyknock.com/store/p32/JANUARY_2017_CLEAROUT_SALE%3A__20%25_reduced_BLACK_%26_COLOUR_FELDGRIND_2NDS.html

 

Sold out!

post #4258 of 4357
Wow, that was fast! There was some stock when I posted.
post #4259 of 4357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renault78law View Post

I'm drinking an organic bean from Papua New Guinea by the Timuza collective. From what I can tell, PNG is an emerging player in the specialty coffee space. Certainly juicy and I get a hint of grapefruit rind. You might like it.

Thanks I'll look into those. The Sumatras that I've had I don't think are bad but usually I'm like "that's enough" about halfway through so I've been less interested in exploring the Southeast Asian coffees as a result.
post #4260 of 4357
This isn't like your typical Sumatra, which is why I recommended it! It'll be easy to google search, it won a cupping competition late last year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk about COFFEE