Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk about COFFEE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets talk about COFFEE - Page 266

post #3976 of 4391
That does sound like a cool operation.

Ordered the Nespresso, should be arriving Saturday. Probably going to get a variety pack of the pods at first just to sample what they have.
post #3977 of 4391
Get the trieste and malabar monsoon off ebay.
post #3978 of 4391
been having nespresso where i'm staying in london, quite inoffensive but not really impressed. i'm more inclined to seek out a good espresso, any place here worth checking out ?
post #3979 of 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

been having nespresso where i'm staying in london, quite inoffensive but not really impressed. i'm more inclined to seek out a good espresso, any place here worth checking out ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Any tips/recommendations for London?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen View Post

Workshop is my favorite and I like TAP as well. I find the general quality of coffee here to be pretty good. Not a fan of Monmouth or Nude.

There are a ton of good places in London... google is your friend
post #3980 of 4391
obviously i could google i would just rather get a tip from people i assume know what they are talking about rather than an inundation of yelp reviews by tasteless savages.
post #3981 of 4391
where are you staying? London is a big city

Grind chain is also good - various locations
Workshop and TAP as mentioned
Monmouth and Nude are well regarded but I'm not a fan
Kaffeine
Dept of Coffee and Social Affairs
Ozone
Brooklyn Coffee
The Little One
Coffee Geek & Friends
Iris & June
post #3982 of 4391
It's unfortunately almost entirely US-only, but http://www.espressomap.com/ isn't the worst resource around for locating high-grade coffee. smile.gif

In London, there's certainly no lack of top-quality cafés; I've found a great variety ranging from groovy retro hangouts to a high-end science-laboratory vibe.
post #3983 of 4391
That's more like it , thanks! I'm central (earls court) but have time to go around so I'll try as many as I can.
post #3984 of 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Seriously? Is there a link? I'd like to learn more.

I read about it years ago, but their grinders alone cost more than about 3 entire third-wave roasters entire operations.

Access to capital markets! FUCK YEAH!
post #3985 of 4391
How can I tell if the sourness in espresso is from under extraction or not? the one I had a few weeks ago that tasted like lemon juice was obviously not good.

The espresso I just had was pretty good, the sourness was a bit much but I don't know if that was a bad or not.
post #3986 of 4391

i don't like drink coffee but i like its smell

post #3987 of 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

How can I tell if the sourness in espresso is from under extraction or not? the one I had a few weeks ago that tasted like lemon juice was obviously not good.

The espresso I just had was pretty good, the sourness was a bit much but I don't know if that was a bad or not.


Are we talking about espresso being served to you in a shop? Or espresso you made yourself at home?

 

The easiest way to tell if an espresso extraction was off is to time it. An espresso shot should take about 30 seconds to pull and yield about 2oz of liquid (almost everyone pulls "double" shots as standard these days). If the pull yields 2oz of liquid in 15 seconds, your shot was almost certainly under extracted. If it takes 45 seconds to pull, it's almost certainly over extracted. That said, don't be a fascist. Thirty seconds is a ballpark, every coffee is different, and a standard deviation of a few seconds is fine.

 

 

As far as whether the shot you just had was good... did you like it? Taste is a subjective experience. You should drink what you enjoy drinking, and shouldn't let anyone try to convince you that something you don't enjoy is somehow objectively "good". Acidity in coffee is a tricky thing. It's a completely necessary component of a balanced cup, so long as enough weetness is also present. Most people enjoy eating a tangerine. No one enjoys sucking on a lemon.

post #3988 of 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadowen View Post


Are we talking about espresso being served to you in a shop? Or espresso you made yourself at home?

The easiest way to tell if an espresso extraction was off is to time it. An espresso shot should take about 30 seconds to pull and yield about 2oz of liquid (almost everyone pulls "double" shots as standard these days). If the pull yields 2oz of liquid in 15 seconds, your shot was almost certainly under extracted. If it takes 45 seconds to pull, it's almost certainly over extracted. That said, don't be a fascist. Thirty seconds is a ballpark, every coffee is different, and a standard deviation of a few seconds is fine.


As far as whether the shot you just had was good... did you like it? Taste is a subjective experience. You should drink what you enjoy drinking, and shouldn't let anyone try to convince you that something you don't enjoy is somehow objectively "good". Acidity in coffee is a tricky thing. It's a completely necessary component of a balanced cup, so long as enough weetness is also present. Most people enjoy eating a tangerine. No one enjoys sucking on a lemon.

It was from a cafe. I have a weird obsession when I start getting into something that I have to know I am experiencing something that is perfect. I liked it but at the same time, now that I'm in my phase of trying to know how perfect this cup of coffee is its gonna be a while.
post #3989 of 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post


It was from a cafe. I have a weird obsession when I start getting into something that I have to know I am experiencing something that is perfect. I liked it but at the same time, now that I'm in my phase of trying to know how perfect this cup of coffee is its gonna be a while.


I hear you. 

 

Just know there is no such thing as the perfect cup of coffee. There are objectively bad cups of coffee and there are objectively "good" cups of coffee, but nothing is perfect. There will even be "good" cups of coffee that you don't like for any number of totally valid reasons.

post #3990 of 4391

^ agree with the above. And the taste of coffee changes based on so many factors (like what you ate before, which is why I never drink seltzer water before espresso). Both for cafes and home, I've started to judge more for consistency (of good cups) vs. seeking the "god shot".  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk about COFFEE