or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk about COFFEE
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lets talk about COFFEE - Page 76

post #1126 of 2664
Interesting things in this thread - I've been experimenting with my Clever Coffee Dripper and was wondering if people had some input on success they've had in the actual process. I know it's short and straightforward but I just want to see what others are doing too! I don't have a gram scale so I've just been using 2 or 3 tbsp of beans (very roughly) and throwing it into my grinder before dumping it all out into the wet filter.

Also - how long should one grind the beans for? I have a pretty standard grinder, but since there is no timer, I have no real way of gauging if I'm doing things right. I'm simply doing about 13-14 seconds...

Really appreciate the help from you experts here.thumbs-up.gif
post #1127 of 2664

You can pick up a digital scale for about $15.

 

Basically, it comes down to taste - if you like what you're drinking don't change a thing. If not, play around with grind size and water temp. Grinding isn't so much a matter of time as it is size. 

 

http://www.sweetmarias.com/clevercoffeedripperpictorial.php

 

lefty

post #1128 of 2664
Grinding is a matter of time if you're using a whirly-blade. devil.gif

The Sweet Maria's guide lefty linked to is a good start for the CCD. I use the American Weigh SC-2KG, which is around $17 on Amazon, but if you're still using a whirly-blade grinder, I'd get a burr grinder as soon as possible. They aren't too expensive for a decent one: Baratza Encore or Capresso Infinity are both good choices under $100.

BTW, I got some Peet's Sumatra Batak today. It smells great. Will poast later on its taste.
post #1129 of 2664
Thanks guys - excuse the ignorance but what are the immediate and noticeable benefits of going with a burr grinder?
post #1130 of 2664
Uniform grind size so the extraction is consistent rather than slower with big chunks and faster with small particles. Also less heat during the grind process.
post #1131 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3558 View Post

Thanks guys - excuse the ignorance but what are the immediate and noticeable benefits of going with a burr grinder?

If you're looking for one on the cheap, I picked this up. Theres a code floating around which makes this $38 shipped.

http://c1.casa.com/p/jura-capresso-58505-disk-burr-grinder-274480
post #1132 of 2664
I just signed up for Tonx. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere, this seems perfect for me. Does anyone have any tips on how fine to grind beans and how it changes the taste? What else can you play around with?
post #1133 of 2664
Fine grinding beans means faster extraction. It isn't really recommended unless you're making espresso where the grind needs to be very fine.
post #1134 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike View Post

I just signed up for Tonx. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere, this seems perfect for me. Does anyone have any tips on how fine to grind beans and how it changes the taste? What else can you play around with?

How are you brewing your coffee? You can play with 4 parameters to affect any brew:

1. grind size
2. steep time
3. water temperature
4. stirring

Most people will play with 1&2, and leave 3&4 alone (but keeping them consistently the same). Depending on how you brew, you can play with some or all 4 parameters.

I'd start with French press AKA press pot, or Clever Coffee Dripper. They each have their proponents, and it depends on your tastes. If you're making coffee for lots of people, a big press pot works very well. Either are pretty cheap, and you will and should spend more on your burr grinder than the brewing device.
post #1135 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

BTW, I got some Peet's Sumatra Batak today. It smells great. Will poast later on its taste.

 

SB or SB peaberry? About to order some.

 

lefty

post #1136 of 2664
Just the normal one. I had the peaberry last year, and I would probably have a hard time telling them apart in a blind test.

Anyway, the current Batak one is nice, and is what I think a classic Peet's coffee is like: thick mouthfeel, bitter chocolate, caramel flavors. Tiny bit of fruit flavors as accents to the stronger, darker base flavors. Low acid, smooth.
post #1137 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3558 View Post

Interesting things in this thread - I've been experimenting with my Clever Coffee Dripper and was wondering if people had some input on success they've had in the actual process. I know it's short and straightforward but I just want to see what others are doing too! I don't have a gram scale so I've just been using 2 or 3 tbsp of beans (very roughly) and throwing it into my grinder before dumping it all out into the wet filter.

Also - how long should one grind the beans for? I have a pretty standard grinder, but since there is no timer, I have no real way of gauging if I'm doing things right. I'm simply doing about 13-14 seconds...

Really appreciate the help from you experts here.thumbs-up.gif
I would get a burr grinder, therefore its not a timing thing with blades...
post #1138 of 2664
I just signed up for a month of tonx, I really am craving those interesting flavors I received from my sample order. WIll report back...
post #1139 of 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by constant struggle View Post

I would get a burr grinder, therefore its not a timing thing with blades...

Thanks for the suggestion, gonna look into it. Really needing that tax refund.
post #1140 of 2664
In my opinion the best hand grinder you can buy is a Porlex. If you want to stay on the cheaper end of things (i.e. under $75 )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Lets talk about COFFEE