• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

50 Book Challenge

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone here up for the 50 Book Challenge? You read 50 books in the new year and you have to blog about/review them. Seeing as how I don't have a blog and don't want to start one, I thought maybe poasting a review to SF would suffice.

I'm up for it, is anyone else?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I might be able to finish 50 comic books in a year, but real books? Maybe if you're talking Hank the Cowdog. Certainly not anything without large text or pictures.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I might be able to finish 50 comic books in a year, but real books? Maybe if you're talking Hank the Cowdog. Certainly not anything without large text or pictures.

We all have our mountains to climb.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm down.

...waitaminute... That's almost a book a week! I'll have to think about this one.

mtsoccer4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas

Man no kidding. 50 books is a challenge; at a rate of about 4 per month, you either need to be voracious reader or just read little novelas. Certainly Ayn Rand and Tolstoy would feel left out next year if you decided to take on the challenge.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ Well, over a week-long vacay earlier in the year, I polished off the last two Harry Potter books, a Sherlock Holmes novel, and got halfway through a TC Boyle novel. But it certainly helped to have a series of long plane and train rides and a langorous schedule, if you could even call it a schedule.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I average about 60 books a year... (But I have no life, so ymmv.)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
I'm down.

...waitaminute... That's almost a book a week! I'll have to think about this one.

The more you think the less time there is for reading.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by mtsoccer4
Man no kidding. 50 books is a challenge; at a rate of about 4 per month, you either need to be voracious reader or just read little novelas. Certainly Ayn Rand and Tolstoy would feel left out next year if you decided to take on the challenge.

I first read about this in 06 and I attempted the challenge but fell behind in March and gave up (I was a small timer then and had to work). I say that to say this, one of the guys who read around 70 books while going to Yale LS full time and working on the Law Review read Jonathan Strange and Mister Norrell in one week so it can be done.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I average about 60 books a year...

(But I have no life, so ymmv.)

Now is your chance to prove it.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should manage that...I'm reading as many surely but I won't post on the BLOG. I have many blogs but have forgotten about most of them...also myspace accounts etc...

Anyway, any special books in mind?...e.g. would only literature count (Id suggest this) or also scientific books etc. you may have to read for your 'jöb'? (files or statistics or admin **** or cases [law ppl] etc wouldn't count of course)

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So we're each going to read 50 books and "blog" about them here? Is that what you're talking about edina?

Or is this a collaborative thing? You read and blog 20, I'll do 20 and someone else will do 10?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So we're each going to read 50 books and "blog" about them here? Is that what you're talking about edina?

Yes.

Or is this a collaborative thing? You read and blog 20, I'll do 20 and someone else will do 10?

No.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
I should manage that...I'm reading as many surely but I won't post on the BLOG. I have many blogs but have forgotten about most of them...also myspace accounts etc...

Anyway, any special books in mind?...e.g. would only literature count (Id suggest this) or also scientific books etc. you may have to read for your 'jöb'? (files or statistics or admin **** or cases [law ppl] etc wouldn't count of course)

That's a good point. I mainly read non-fiction so I'm going to have to rule out the only literature part. I think work-mandated reading should be out. Perhaps it should be like a length limit, say, no fewer than 200 pages? And graphic novels don't count.

jon bones

Reaction score
i'm in, but i may create my own blog for this as well...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could easily knock off 50 books in a year, but for the past 15 months or so a lot of my reading has been renewing my familiarity with the Greek and Latin classics. Just finished Book II of Xenophon's Hellenica yesterday evening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads