• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas party....what to wear? Black jacket, black pants, ___ shirt, ___ tie?

lektrix

Reaction score
Im just outta school and I'm not really a suit wearer (maybe 1-2 times a year when the occasion calls for it), but my workplace is hosting their annual Christmas party at a well known hotel ballroom. Last year, I didn't care much and went with my standard black suit (white dress shirt without tie) and felt like an absolute fool
eh.gif
because I was the only one tie-less.

Let's say I'm going to make an "effort" to do something different this year. I'm on a low budget, but shopping around, I found a Kenneth Cole Slim Fit Dark Violet/Purple w/ Satin Stripe dress shirt (16.0, 34/35) to my liking. The dark violet/purple is very similar to this - http://www.thepurplestore.com/images...B002LUOG02.jpg - but there are vertical satin stripes.

I'm not sure how well the violet will match with my black jacket/pants, but more importantly, what colour tie should I buy? Solid white, solid silver?

Also, I'm thinkin' of goin skinny tie since I'm 6'0, 157lbs, long/lanky/toned build.....

Thoughts, suggestions?

(or should I just scrap this whole purple shirt idea and go standard white shirt/black skinny tie?
confused.gif
)

Confucius

Reaction score
Return the shirt - it will look really contrived if you wear it with a black suit and silver tie, and finding a tie to match that will be difficult. You are not restricted to either a purple shirt or a white shirt.

What sort of industry/company is it? Do others go to a big effort to scrub up?

Maybe you can have a look in the WAYWT thread to get some combinations and ideas.

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
do you have something other than a black suit? What kind of dress does the invitation call for? What kind of company is it and what is the general style at the office? If its a fairly conservative place, black suit/purple shirt would seem a little too out of step with everyone else. Its also really hard to find a tie to match those 2 colors, I'd think the only option would be black, and even that wouldn't be good. Absolutely, positively don't wear a white or silver tie with that.

If you have a different suit, or even a sportcoat, I'd go with that, a white shirt, and (again if you have it or are willing to buy it) a tartan tie or something, a nice seasonal touch.

lektrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Confucius
Return the shirt - it will look really contrived if you wear it with a black suit and silver tie, and finding a tie to match that will be difficult. You are not restricted to either a purple shirt or a white shirt.

What sort of industry/company is it? Do others go to a big effort to scrub up?

Maybe you can have a look in the WAYWT thread to get some combinations and ideas.

Originally Posted by modern_leifeng
do you have something other than a black suit? What kind of dress does the invitation call for? What kind of company is it and what is the general style at the office? If its a fairly conservative place, black suit/purple shirt would seem a little too out of step with everyone else. Its also really hard to find a tie to match those 2 colors, I'd think the only option would be black, and even that wouldn't be good. Absolutely, positively don't wear a white or silver tie with that.

If you have a different suit, or even a sportcoat, I'd go with that, a white shirt, and (again if you have it or are willing to buy it) a tartan tie or something, a nice seasonal touch.

Very small insurance brokerage company. Do others suck up? Not that I know of.

No dress code indicated on the invitation but most came in suits/dresses last year, didn't recall seeing anyone in a tux.

General style at the office is casual. It's not mandatory to wear pants/collared shirt (tucked in) but most do. I've seen my bosses in sports polos before. I mostly wear sweaters, wovens or knit tops now...really not very strict (just no jeans, tshirt, etc.).

Unfortunately I don't have another suit...been wearing this one for quite a while now..I suppose I can invest in a new one but it's bad timing (only have 3 days left) and really, am I gonna buy a new one just for the party?!?!?

I do understand what you mean when you say "contrived" or "out of place"...I'm the youngest male in the office by 4-5 years, 2nd youngest overall, so I do have a "rebellious" attitude to me (I want to wear a skinny tie lol). IMO everyone's gonna be either in their "business attire" (white shirt/red tie, light blue shirt/navy blue tie - I have no reason why) or standard white shirt/black tie and I just don't want to look like a clone.

But hey, maybe it's important that I do?

Profacio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lektrix
Very small insurance brokerage company. Do others suck up? Not that I know of.

No dress code indicated on the invitation but most came in suits/dresses last year, didn't recall seeing anyone in a tux.

General style at the office is casual. It's not mandatory to wear pants/collared shirt (tucked in) but most do. I've seen my bosses in sports polos before. I mostly wear sweaters, wovens or knit tops now...really not very strict (just no jeans, tshirt, etc.).

Unfortunately I don't have another suit...been wearing this one for quite a while now..I suppose I can invest in a new one but it's bad timing (only have 3 days left) and really, am I gonna buy a new one just for the party?!?!?

I do understand what you mean when you say "contrived" or "out of place"...I'm the youngest male in the office by 4-5 years, 2nd youngest overall, so I do have a "rebellious" attitude to me (I want to wear a skinny tie lol). IMO everyone's gonna be either in their "business attire" (white shirt/red tie, light blue shirt/navy blue tie - I have no reason why) or standard white shirt/black tie and I just don't want to look like a clone.

But hey, maybe it's important that I do?

Hi Letrix.

In line with the guys suggestions so far, most here would reccomend avoiding a black suit for such affairs. Blue, grey, and charcoal are more appropriate, and quite honestly far more versatile. Given your description of yourself, I reckon a you would find a charcoal suit the best.
That being said, given that you are limited on funds and time, and I think one should take the time to find a suit that fits their body type and personality instead of rushing out to get one for a quick occassion, I'd suggest this:

Presuming you stick with the black suit and not a sports coat (another good suggestion), stick with the white shirt as well. Good shoes and belt. Add a crisp white linen pocket square with tv fold. For skinny ties, I saw some nice patterns reasonably priced in darker colors by Theory (was at Nm or Bloomingdales I think) not too long ago.

Most importantly, be comfortable and confident in what you wear, and just enjoy yourself. Good luck and have fun.

-P-

lektrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Profacio
Hi Letrix.

In line with the guys suggestions so far, most here would reccomend avoiding a black suit for such affairs. Blue, grey, and charcoal are more appropriate, and quite honestly far more versatile. Given your description of yourself, I reckon a you would find a charcoal suit the best.
That being said, given that you are limited on funds and time, and I think one should take the time to find a suit that fits their body type and personality instead of rushing out to get one for a quick occassion, I'd suggest this:

Presuming you stick with the black suit and not a sports coat (another good suggestion), stick with the white shirt as well. Good shoes and belt. Add a crisp white linen pocket square with tv fold. For skinny ties, I saw some nice patterns reasonably priced in darker colors by Theory (was at Nm or Bloomingdales I think) not too long ago.

Most importantly, be comfortable and confident in what you wear, and just enjoy yourself. Good luck and have fun.

-P-

Thanks for the suggestion. IIRC, most people last year were in black suits last year
bounce2.gif

If I get a sports coat, wouldn't it look weird because it most likely won't match my pants? I have a ton of dress pants, but colours look "off" sometimes.

What tie colour would you guys recommend? Something dark? Maroon, navy blue, charcoal?

Do I need to get a tie clip?

Montrachet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lektrix
most people last year were in black suits

Wow, you should direct them here ASAP!

A blazer or sport coat shouldn't match your pants exactly like a suit does. For a tie, I'd recommend something bright and chipper with a pattern since this is for a festive event. You can skip the tie clip in favor of a white linen pocket square if you want.

lektrix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
Wow, you should direct them here ASAP!

A blazer or sport coat shouldn't match your pants exactly like a suit does. For a tie, I'd recommend something bright and chipper with a pattern since this is for a festive event. You can skip the tie clip in favor of a white linen pocket square if you want.

Haha I should but then it'd be weird seeing coworkers on the forums...

Yeah but wouldn't it look weird then? What if the pants are a lighter shade of black than the jacket? Or charcoal jacket and black pants?

korektphool

Reaction score
You're going to look like waiter in a black suit, white shirt, and skinny black tie, regardless of how well each item of clothing fits. You're going to look worse in that purple shirt you posted.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get y'all black tees on, all black everything
Black cards, black cars, all black everything

lektrix

Reaction score
Please recommend me a shirt and tie.

Maroon, bergundy, dark red tie?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads