or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Zink & Sons Tailors in Sydney
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zink & Sons Tailors in Sydney - Page 3

post #31 of 77
That sounds great and it also sounds like you're having a good experience too which I think is important.

When I read your post that you were getting fitted, I got jealous. So I went to Adamo today and got measured up as well. I'm getting a medium grey coloured flannel in an 11oz from Sabel. Extra set of trousers because I couldn't decide on belt loops or side adjustment tabs (so I ordered one of each).

I have to say, Adamo and his son are very personable. Not cheap but very personable. Around 4400 for a two piece suit and extra trousers. His cheapest suits are around 2500 but with fabric from China.

He has the H Lesser fabrics that Sator talks about and I looked through them. Their great but I was looking for something a bit unusual. Apparently the grey flannel I chose is called a "fox effect" or something like that. I love it.

I paid 2000 for the deposit on credit card and the balance I'll pay cash because that way when my wife looks at the monthly statement she thinks I only paid 2g's which will result in only a minor thrashing rather than a stint in hospital.

When do you think your one will be ready?
post #32 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulard View Post
That sounds great and it also sounds like you're having a good experience too which I think is important.

When I read your post that you were getting fitted, I got jealous. So I went to Adamo today and got measured up as well. I'm getting a medium grey coloured flannel in an 11oz from Sabel. Extra set of trousers because I couldn't decide on belt loops or side adjustment tabs (so I ordered one of each).

I have to say, Adamo and his son are very personable. Not cheap but very personable. Around 4400 for a two piece suit and extra trousers. His cheapest suits are around 2500 but with fabric from China.

He has the H Lesser fabrics that Sator talks about and I looked through them. Their great but I was looking for something a bit unusual. Apparently the grey flannel I chose is called a "fox effect" or something like that. I love it.

I paid 2000 for the deposit on credit card and the balance I'll pay cash because that way when my wife looks at the monthly statement she thinks I only paid 2g's which will result in only a minor thrashing rather than a stint in hospital.

When do you think your one will be ready?

I also ordered belt loops and side adjusters on the trousers of my suit.

Yes, I've heard from a variety of people (not the least Sator himself on this board) on the merits of Adamo Marone. It was a toss-up between him and Zink but I ultimately went with Zink due to their English/Savile Row stylings, the history of the business and their location being more easily accessible for me. They're also cheaper, my Holland & Sherry suit costing what you say Adamo charges for his Chinese fabrics.

Well, I go in for my second fitting in approx. two weeks time, then it should be ready for me quite soon after that.
post #33 of 77
Gentlemen, thanks for sharing your DU sartorial experiences.

Just wondering if both Adamo and Zink provide a CMT service?
post #34 of 77
Thread Starter 
I don't know about either, to tell the truth, but I would assume Zink would (most likely Adamo too).
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman70k View Post
Gentlemen, thanks for sharing your DU sartorial experiences.

Just wondering if both Adamo and Zink provide a CMT service?

Pardon my ignorance but what does CMT stand for?
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
I also ordered belt loops and side adjusters on the trousers of my suit.

Yes, I've heard from a variety of people (not the least Sator himself on this board) on the merits of Adamo Marone. It was a toss-up between him and Zink but I ultimately went with Zink due to their English/Savile Row stylings, the history of the business and their location being more easily accessible for me. They're also cheaper, my Holland & Sherry suit costing what you say Adamo charges for his Chinese fabrics.

Well, I go in for my second fitting in approx. two weeks time, then it should be ready for me quite soon after that.

What lining did you choose? Was it a H & S lining? What colour?

I ask because when I had one of my suits made at Zink, I wasn't offered the H&S lining and to be frank didnt realise it was available. I saw the samples today at Adamo's and they were fantistic with the H & S branding.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulard View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what does CMT stand for?

"CMT" stands for "cut, make and trim".

It's tailoring-speak for taking the cloth to a tailor and getting the tailor to make a suit from it, rather than purchasing the cloth from the tailor.

Some tailors allow it, and others don't. The reason some tailors do not like CMT requests is because tailors will (quite reasonably, of course, as they have to bear inventory costs) mark-up the cost of the fabric and so it effectively costs them money if you bring in fabric from elsewhere.
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
"CMT" stands for "cut, make and trim".

It's tailoring-speak for taking the cloth to a tailor and getting the tailor to make a suit from it, rather than purchasing the cloth from the tailor.

Some tailors allow it, and others don't. The reason some tailors do not like CMT requests is because tailors will (quite reasonably, of course, as they have to bear inventory costs) mark-up the cost of the fabric and so it effectively costs them money if you bring in fabric from elsewhere.

I didn't even think to do that. It seems a bit cheeky to me. Do tailors get offended by the suggestion?
post #39 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foulard
What lining did you choose? Was it a H & S lining? What colour?

I ask because when I had one of my suits made at Zink, I wasn't offered the H&S lining and to be frank didnt realise it was available. I saw the samples today at Adamo's and they were fantistic with the H & S branding.

I wasn't looking for any specific lining or brand name of lining. I simply chose a colour which I thought went well with the chosen fabric, in my case, a lovely grey/silver number which looked really nice alongside the dark grey PoW fabric of the suit.
post #40 of 77
Thread Starter 
btw foulard, please make sure to show us your Adam Marrone suit once it's ready.
post #41 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
btw foulard, please make sure to show us your Adam Marrone suit once it's ready.

will do. I have already had my second fitting today and am going back again on Saturday at 3pm. He said he may have it ready by next weekend! I will immediately post pictures. In the meantime, while I was there i bought a hat, a scarf and a nice belt.

Any news from Zink regarding your suit?
post #42 of 77
Thread Starter 
My second fitting is scheduled for next week. I'm also going to get a navy sports coat made by Zink, so I'll be checking their swatches then, too.
post #43 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
My second fitting is scheduled for next week. I'm also going to get a navy sports coat made by Zink, so I'll be checking their swatches then, too.

Urgent. Make sure you ask if the Jacket is fused or fully canvassed. Apparently unless you specify fully canvassed, its fused. Having said that had a recent wander in their and I found them to be quite friendly!!!! Very pleasantly surprised. I might go back there again. Let me know about the jacket. He's got some great fabrics just sitting there ready to go.
post #44 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman70k View Post
Gentlemen, thanks for sharing your DU sartorial experiences.

Just wondering if both Adamo and Zink provide a CMT service?

Apparently Zink does.
post #45 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
My second fitting is scheduled for next week. I'm also going to get a navy sports coat made by Zink, so I'll be checking their swatches then, too.

Just a gentle suggestion, but perhaps you should wait until your suit is finished first so as to ensure that you're happy with it, before you order a second item.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Zink & Sons Tailors in Sydney