• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake Shoes

Reaction score
I've just graduated and will be looking for work soon, so I'm searching for a pair of well made shoes, preferably around the $300 range. I'm considering purchasing this pair of Loakes:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2152.php

Are they worth $220? I live in Canada, so there is no way I could try them on before buying them. Can anyone recommend another brand in the same price range that may be of better quality?

tenorclef

Reaction score
I own a pair of Loakes full brogues which i bought in my early 20's and i'm about to hit 40......I still have thoses Loakes which i mainly wear for formal functions, they are starting to look a little tired now (me too) so maybe its time to buy another pair.

Oh, just realised i did'nt answer your question or did I?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say they are good value for the money. I'd do some research regarding the styling before buying your first pair of shoes, the style you mentioned isn't the most basic one.
You can also have a look at herringshoes.co.uk, they sell seconds which would still be cheaper.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
If you live in or near Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa, you can try on a limited number of Loake styles at the Bay. Don't buy them there, though - Herring's seconds would probably be your best bet, but Pediwear also offers very good service.

IMO, if you can get them for less than $300, and they are from the 1880 range, it's a good deal.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loake 1880 are good value, leather can be a bit stiff but will soften with plenty of conditioner.
Other UK brands to look at that offer shoes under £200 Sterling are Barker, Cheaney, Sanders &Sanders, but make sure the shoes you're interested in are calfskin rather than corrected grain. Alfred Sargent's Premier line are calf and start at about £205 Sterling and are nice shoes. Cheaney's Rushden line is a bit modern for my taste but is quite popular for more casual wear...

I'm no expert on US brands, but Alden or Allen Edmonds have their fans here.

killercadi

Reaction score
I have the Loake 1880 Aldwych in dark brown. I like the shoe for the money.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I know a lot of people here seem to think of Loake as having cheap quality leather, but if they're worth the money I might go for it.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
If you live in or near Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa, you can try on a limited number of Loake styles at the Bay. Don't buy them there, though - Herring's seconds would probably be your best bet, but Pediwear also offers very good service.

IMO, if you can get them for less than $300, and they are from the 1880 range, it's a good deal.

Thanks for the advice! I live in Calgary, but I might still try heading to the downtown location here and see if they have anything.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've nothing but good experiences with my loake's (1880 line).

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 75487
Thanks for the advice. I know a lot of people here seem to think of Loake as having cheap quality leather, but if they're worth the money I might go for it.

The leather quality isn't that bad - just a bit stiff. Plenty of conditioner and creme makes a big difference. IMO they're good value for money and the law of diminishing returns quickly kicks in. Yes my Edward Greens are much nicer, my Grenson Rose quite a bit nicer but I still wear Loakes and would happily buy another pair.

Gary4327

Reaction score
I think the leather is a hit or miss from my experience.

korektphool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 75487
I've just graduated and will be looking for work soon, so I'm searching for a pair of well made shoes, preferably around the $300 range. I'm considering purchasing this pair of Loakes:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2152.php

Are they worth $220? I live in Canada, so there is no way I could try them on before buying them. Can anyone recommend another brand in the same price range that may be of better quality?

I own a pair of Loake full-brogues and have been very happy with the quality (and styling) of the shoes for the past 6 months. The link you posted, however, has a very ugly shoe (imo). There are better Loake shoes out there.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
What do people think of the Shoemaker line of Loakes? These use corrected grain leather, but they are Goodyear welted. Is it worth the ~$180 they cost, or is your money better spent by putting another $200+ to AEs, Aldens, etc.?

Big Bird

Reaction score
I have two old pair of shoes that I bought at Charles Tyrwhitt five years ago that I seem to remember where made by Loake. Maybe someone on this board can confirm?

They are still in my rotation after five years and I have no complaints whatsoever about the quality. I have had them resoled a couple of times but besides that they have worked like a charm.

/BB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads