• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MyTailor.com vis-a-vis ModernTailor.com

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two shirtmakers come up a lot on the forum these days, so for the sake of science and posterity I thought I'd summarize my experience with both, and I hope anyone else who has tried both will speak up as well. Over the last few months I placed two orders each from both MyTailor.com and ModernTailor.com and wrote (brief) reviews on my site; you can read them here:
Manufacturing and Delivery The turnaround time on the shirts was:
  • MyTailor order #1: 10 f**king weeks!
  • MyTailor order #2: 4 weeks + 1 day
  • ModernTailor order #1: 2 weeks
  • ModernTailor order #2: 3 weeks + 1 day
To be fair, that first amazingly quick ModernTailor order had my measurements all wrong. But their second (also very quick) delivery spanned a week-long Chinese holiday, otherwise it would have been even faster. Price and Value Average price for the MyTailor shirts was around $90. The ModernTailor ones were about half that. On the other hand, you can toss the MyTailor shirts in the wash and tumble dry, whereas ModernTailor shirts have to lie flat on a drying rack. If your time has value, the pain-in-the-ass factor needs to be considered. Fabric As far as the fabric is concerned, I love the heavy-duty material on the ModernTailor shirts. Great sheen, a bit of stretch. The most expensive MyTailor shirts I bought also have nice fabric, but one that I paid $90 for feels like flannel kids' pajamas after just two washes, and another I'd describe as just barely acceptable. Other Factors Both makers' shirts fit perfectly by the first or second order. The MyTailor shirts came with brass collar stays. ModernTailor ships with rather useless thin plastic ones. MyTailor's buttons were also heavier than ModernTailor's. Personally I've decided to go with ModernTailor for the foreseeable future. I like the quality and variety of fabrics, and you can't beat the price or the turnaround speed. I thank you for your time.

shasta

Reaction score
the fact that you put vis-a-vis in the title makes me not want to read your post.

coltboy75

Reaction score
I have had a grat experience with ModernTailor, except the free tie they sent me was not the one I ordered. As far as customer service, I have e-mailed them several times with no response. This is very minor given the free tie was not the reason I placed my order. I am just wondering if this is the level of service I would get if the shirts were not to my liking.

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
These two shirtmakers come up a lot on the forum these days, so for the sake of science and posterity I thought I'd summarize my experience with both, and I hope anyone else who has tried both will speak up as well. Over the last few months I placed two orders each from both MyTailor.com and ModernTailor.com and wrote (brief) reviews on my site; you can read them here:

Manufacturing and Delivery
The turnaround time on the shirts was:

• MyTailor order #1: 10 f**king weeks!
  • MyTailor order #2: 4 weeks + 1 day
  • ModernTailor order #1: 2 weeks
  • ModernTailor order #2: 3 weeks + 1 day

To be fair, that first amazingly quick ModernTailor order had my measurements all wrong. But their second (also very quick) delivery spanned a week-long Chinese holiday, otherwise it would have been even faster.

Price and Value
Average price for the MyTailor shirts was around $90. The ModernTailor ones were about half that. On the other hand, you can toss the MyTailor shirts in the wash and tumble dry, whereas ModernTailor shirts have to lie flat on a drying rack. If your time has value, the pain-in-the-ass factor needs to be considered.

Fabric
As far as the fabric is concerned, I love the heavy-duty material on the ModernTailor shirts. Great sheen, a bit of stretch. The most expensive MyTailor shirts I bought also have nice fabric, but one that I paid $90 for feels like flannel kids' pajamas after just two washes, and another I'd describe as just barely acceptable.

Other Factors
Both makers' shirts fit perfectly by the first or second order. The MyTailor shirts came with brass collar stays. ModernTailor ships with rather useless thin plastic ones. MyTailor's buttons were also heavier than ModernTailor's.

Personally I've decided to go with ModernTailor for the foreseeable future. I like the quality and variety of fabrics, and you can't beat the price or the turnaround speed.

I thank you for your time.

I don't have experience with ModernTailor but, I've placed several orders with Mytailor. All my orders arrived in 5 weeks. It took about three iterations to dial in the fit and I'm very pleased.

Most of the my shirts are from the Thomas Mason Silver line -- around $125.

I really don't have any major issues.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn
I don't have experience with ModernTailor but, I've placed several orders with Mytailor. All my orders arrived in 5 weeks. It took about three iterations to dial in the fit and I'm very pleased.

See, now to me, that's at a point where we start to lose some of the supposed advantages of using an online service. You didn't get a lot of speed, you paid a lot of money, and it took multiple passes to get the fit right. I'm glad you're happy with the result, but I lack your patience or willingness to shell out like that for two test shirts.

brown eyes

Reaction score
I just made an appt. at MyTailor.com and I believe I'll be meeting with Joe Hemrajani at their main office in Costa Mesa. Hopefully it'll turn out ok, however, after reading your post, I'm somewhat more inclined to try out ModernTailor.com

Limniscate

Reaction score
If speed is an issue, go with Nialma. Their turn around is about a week.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate
If speed is an issue, go with Nialma. Their turn around is about a week.

Nialma states they have a fast turnaround, but it is not always the case and they can take up to a month.

Coburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brown eyes
I just made an appt. at MyTailor.com and I believe I'll be meeting with Joe Hemrajani at their main office in Costa Mesa. Hopefully it'll turn out ok, however, after reading your post, I'm somewhat more inclined to try out ModernTailor.com
The biggest drawback of online tailors is the lack of access for alterations, etc. If you in SoCal, you can go to their location any time and be remeasured, arrange alterations, etc. Being there, makes Mytailor a much better choice.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Timeless Fashion
Nialma states they have a fast turnaround, but it is not always the case and they can take up to a month.

My shirts have each arrived in one week per order, perhaps I am lucky or you are unlucky!

jdldore

Reaction score
Never used moderntailor, but have used mytailor for shirts and suits. They always tell me 5-8 weeks and I have always received at 5 weeks. I like the punctuality, but, more importantly, like the work they do. For me, speed is important, but not as important as good work.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn

This.

If you're considering ordering from MyTailor, go Thomas Mason or don't go at all. Most of the non-TM fabrics leave quite a bit to be desired. TM Silver or Gold are great.

The only instance in which I'd recommend the lower-end fabrics is for your first one or two orders. You'll need a few to get the fit right, and there's no reason to waste a lot of money doing so.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
I have had a grat experience with ModernTailor, except the free tie they sent me was not the one I ordered. As far as customer service, I have e-mailed them several times with no response. This is very minor given the free tie was not the reason I placed my order. I am just wondering if this is the level of service I would get if the shirts were not to my liking.

ModernTailor has correcte4d this problem to my satisfaction. THey allowed me to keep teh incorrect tie adn had me choose a tie from their website that was shipped to me today at no additinal cost.

I am still looking for information on their suits. Anyone have any experience with their suits???

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 599
My shirts have each arrived in one week per order, perhaps I am lucky or you are unlucky!

For Nialma, their website claim their average delivery time from placing an order is 6 business days and sometimes due to unavoidable circumstances, the deliveries can take up to 12 business day.

For my first shirt order from nialma, it took 27 days from online order to Fedex's first delivery attempt. Since they do not send out tracking information, I wasn't home to sign for the package on the date of 1st delivery attempt, so it took 28 days (or 4 weeks) for me to receive my first shirt. This is to the US and I don't know if it is quicker to Europe, Australia or Asia.

The shirt quality seems decent overall, though not the cheapest (cheapest shirt is >$100 with shipping) or the fastest by any means.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads