or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Slim-fitting cowboy/western shirts?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Slim-fitting cowboy/western shirts?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm having such a hard time finding some long sleeve cowboy/western vintage style shirts. Sometimes I can find them in local shops, but they're either huge and/or stupid patterns. Anyone know where I can find some good, size small shirts like these? Another problem is the fact that it's summer and shops around here don't stock these long sleeve shirts anymore.

So other than eBay, which really hasn't given me that many good results, is there anywhere online I can find these shirts?
post #2 of 23
I've actually found a lot of nice shirts on ebay. Try some different words like wrangler, plaid, western, Levi's, plaid etc and then go to Vintage.
post #3 of 23
The long-sleeve ones are definitely harder to find than short-sleeve. Either way, if you want slim you're definitely going to have to get them altered.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
The long-sleeve ones are definitely harder to find than short-sleeve. Either way, if you want slim you're definitely going to have to get them altered.

argh. I was afraid of that. I've realized that the long sleeves are much harder to find. I try ebay again, though, thanks.
post #5 of 23
The problem with finding long-sleeved ones is that unless your arms are fairly short, a shirt with long-enough sleeves will fit blousy in the torso. With the short-sleeved versions, you can at least size down until you get a slimmer fit in the chest and waist. Furthermore, it seems that a lot of the standard brands for these (e.g. Wrangler and Levi's) cut their shirts short and boxy.

Designer/premium brand western shirts may fit slimmer, but the only ones you'll find with any regularity will probably be Diesel, whose shirts are unfortunately marred by prints far too often.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be a Jantzen western shirt. I asked Ricky to make one for me in my last order, but it's been almost 2 months with no response. Ah, it was fun while it lasted...
post #6 of 23
doesn't EG do these shirts? a couple of japanese brands do these shirts pretty slim i think, nonnative being one of them.
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gza
The problem with finding long-sleeved ones is that unless your arms are fairly short, a shirt with long-enough sleeves will fit blousy in the torso. With the short-sleeved versions, you can at least size down until you get a slimmer fit in the chest and waist. Furthermore, it seems that a lot of the standard brands for these (e.g. Wrangler and Levi's) cut their shirts short and boxy.

Designer/premium brand western shirts may fit slimmer, but the only ones you'll find with any regularity will probably be Diesel, whose shirts are unfortunately marred by prints far too often.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be a Jantzen western shirt. I asked Ricky to make one for me in my last order, but it's been almost 2 months with no response. Ah, it was fun while it lasted...

Yes, very good points. I can get one fitting good in the chest, but then bam, the arms and length are too short. I don't really like the look of short sleeves though, so I'm not interested in those. What are Jantzen, EG and Nonnative? Googling wasn't really helping... japanese brands, I take it?
post #8 of 23
EG is Engineered Garments. I thought that a big part of their style was based on donations of American clothes to postwar Japan, and how the clothes didn't fit well, in the traditional sense? I don't think that EG is really about slim fit. Jantzen is this forum's favorite discount MTM shirtmaker/mail-order crapshoot. There a million threads here about him.
post #9 of 23
Yea, EG stuff is very much workwear, and fits boxy and non-formfitting.
post #10 of 23
You might try Wranger 47 by Built by Wendy (http://www.builtbywendy.com/onlinesh...ategory_id=285) for a decent take on the shirt which will fit, um, hipster, rather than Cowboy, sensibilities. Band of Outsiders also do a western style shirt, albeit for about $200.
post #11 of 23
I had a similar problem and decided to have my tailor make me one. Maybe you should look into that.
post #12 of 23
is there a specific search term when looking for chest pockets like this?

post #13 of 23
nonnative is a japanese label, yes. nice stuff i might add, but on the higher end of the price range. http://www.nonnative.com/
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSur
is there a specific search term when looking for chest pockets like this?

Even if a specific name exists for those kind of pockets, I doubt most sellers are aware of it, so it won't be found in their listings (i.e. it won't be searchable).
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSur
is there a specific search term when looking for chest pockets like this?

Similar pockets are called Quarter Horse pockets (by Rockmount, anyway):


http://www.rockmount.com/shirts/solids.asp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Slim-fitting cowboy/western shirts?