• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Flex Welt Unlined Chukka

mg428

Reaction score
I have been eying on Alden flex-welted unlined suede chukkas made on Leydon last for a while. I have noticed that the style of this chukka is quite different than traditional chukkas-- These chukkas seem to somewhat lean forward and their vamp is longer than traditional chukkas, at least to my eye from the pictures, so please correct me if I am wrong. I will appreciate if you can comment on other differences in the construction of these two types of boots. Is this style unique to Alden? What are the pros and cons of the two styles? Perhaps it is just me considering them as two different styles even though they are the same? Below are the photos of the two styles:

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
please do a search, there are countless threads about these every week.
I am so grateful for your advice. BTW, could you please post some links that I may benefit which provide some answers or discussion with regard to my questions?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the pair on the right is, but I have the exact pair in the exact color from Leffot.

It's great. I wear it casually (jeans, chino pants). I waterproof the suede before so I can wear it in the rain also.

rob

Reaction score
i just hate the "just do a search" response. This site covers so many inane topics by its very nature, even if a topic has been discussed to death, why would it merit the effort of the "please do a search response.

Of course, there are many more important things to respond to, such as whether some guy from NY has divots on his shoulders.

Can I get an amen here?

Rob

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rob
i just hate the "just do a search" response. This site covers so many inane topics by its very nature, even if a topic has been discussed to death, why would it merit the effort of the "please do a search response.

Of course, there are many more important things to respond to, such as whether some guy from NY has divots on his shoulders.

Can I get an amen here?

Rob

Amen. The worse part is, 80% of that thread was not even about divots.

msg, the 2nd pair you have listed is not made by alden - it is C&J.

However the difference I think is from slightly different height of the boots, the fact that it is unlined and the angle of the photographs. I don't think you will feel the effect of this "difference" (if at all) when you are wearing the shoes.

The alden chukka design is a classic, been around from the 40s. The flex welt sole goes well with the unlined leather making the shoe lighter and very comfortable for sock or sockless wear. This shoe is on the leydon last which runs true to size ... get a pair and you'll be happy.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rob

Can I get an amen here?

Rob

I agree. Besides the guy claims that are "countless" threads about my questions. So if he dares, I am waiting just for one single thread he may reference.

PS. "Countless" is defined as "too numerous to be counted" by Merriam Webster.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/countless

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people like unlined shoes?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Why do people like unlined shoes?

Some people find that it wears cooler. Also, unlined shoes are usually lighter in weight. Plus, they are a bit more forgiving in fit since they will stretch a bit more than the lined counterparts (this also means that you can't buy them too big, so not really an advantage).

I personally don't wear unlined shoes.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
msg, here is a real life pic of the flex welt from Leffot:

Zionm.jpg

mg428

Reaction score
Sri, thanks. I have seen quite a lot (real life and other) photos , including the ones posted on Leffot.

I am just trying to find out whether the style of these boots is different than that of other chukkas sold by other manufacturers, and the comparison of the versatility of these two styles. Perhaps my categorization of "this style vs traditional style" is completely false, but for some reason unlined Alden chukkas seems to have a different style to my eye.

BTW, with this photo, I started to lean towards the dark brown one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads