or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Calling all tailors and/or cognoscenti: shorten jacket sleeve from shoulder question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calling all tailors and/or cognoscenti: shorten jacket sleeve from shoulder question - Page 2

post #16 of 33
Warlok - why don't you tell us what jacket you are looking to alter. It is apparent that your tailor doesn't believe he can do the work satisfactorily, whether it is based in fact or just his experience. But his explanation is something I heard before. So before everyone else chimes in and claims that it can be done under any circumstance, it will probably be best to know what jacket you want the work done to. Perhaps the sleeves do in fact taper too much to shorten any appreciable amount from the top. Perhaps 1 or 1.5 inches is the upper limit with okay results, but he is being conservative and saying you can only do less, only with the intention of providing you great results.
post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 
It's a Martin Margiela blazer, brick print from last year. The cut is not weird or wildly different from other jackets or blazers I have owned. But his assertion that it can't be done well was a blanket one - not just specific to this jacket. He said the armhole circumference would shrink by an inch or more which would make it too tight for me. I'm probably going to look for someone else to get a second opinion just in case.
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlok1965 View Post
It's a Martin Margiela blazer, brick print from last year. The cut is not weird or wildly different from other jackets or blazers I have owned. But his assertion that it can't be done well was a blanket one - not just specific to this jacket. He said the armhole circumference would shrink by an inch or more which would make it too tight for me. I'm probably going to look for someone else to get a second opinion just in case.

you can then create your own "look"

Unlike the spella blah blah blah that people fawn over on this forum, you can have the reverse. Maybe the spella Warlok?
post #19 of 33
Well you can let the sleeve out. There's usually an inch in there.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
my tailor charged $75-100 for a job like this. Again, they always charge women more......

That's a fair price I think.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerman View Post
Yea I had 2-3 Inches shortened on my sleeves. It only cost me $35.

I want to hire him.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlok1965 View Post
It's a Martin Margiela blazer, brick print from last year. The cut is not weird or wildly different from other jackets or blazers I have owned. But his assertion that it can't be done well was a blanket one - not just specific to this jacket. He said the armhole circumference would shrink by an inch or more which would make it too tight for me. I'm probably going to look for someone else to get a second opinion just in case.

TBH. I think MMM blazers have longer sleeves as part of the design, not like a traditional MC blazer designed to show shirt cuff. If the blazer dip below the top of where your thumb hits your wrist it could probably use some shortening for sure. You obviously don't need to follow designer styling and can choose to alter how you please. I do this a bit myself, adopt the look or make it your own.

BTW that's a nice blazer, would make a very cool suit along w/ the pants.
post #23 of 33
worlok, i think your tailor can do it but. after 50 years in the business he's getting a little tired and the hands are getting stiff with arthritis. now he just wants to do the less complicated jobs. i put in my 50 years and would rather relax. i only do work for the family and sometimes for friends.
post #24 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_44106 View Post
Unlike the spella blah blah blah that people fawn over on this forum, you can have the reverse. Maybe the spella Warlok?

Non comprehendum

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post
Well you can let the sleeve out. There's usually an inch in there.

That's good to know, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdawe View Post
TBH. I think MMM blazers have longer sleeves as part of the design, not like a traditional MC blazer designed to show shirt cuff. If the blazer dip below the top of where your thumb hits your wrist it could probably use some shortening for sure. You obviously don't need to follow designer styling and can choose to alter how you please. I do this a bit myself, adopt the look or make it your own.

BTW that's a nice blazer, would make a very cool suit along w/ the pants.

Yes, it's true they are meant to be worn long. However, even given that it is still way too long for me and needs to come up some. I already grabbed the pants last season which fit me great (size EU48) but I had to go up to EU52 in the jacket, which was obviously cut for someone way > 6' tall or with freakishly long arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a tailor View Post
worlok, i think your tailor can do it but. after 50 years in the business he's getting a little tired and the hands are getting stiff with arthritis. now he just wants to do the less complicated jobs. i put in my 50 years and would rather relax. i only do work for the family and sometimes for friends.

Could be. I know he hates doing working buttonholes for me LOL! But I don't think he's BSing me, rather he genuinely believes it can't be done.
post #25 of 33
Def can be done. He probably feels that he will mess it up when he puts iit back together. It's not easy!
post #26 of 33
I definitely agree it can be taken up from the shoulders. But the better question should be how much can you take up?
post #27 of 33
Has anyone used a tailor in NYC for this procedure and been pleased with the result? Would appreciate recommendations.
post #28 of 33
I've had this done several times, always succesfully. The tailors doesn't like doing it becuase it's a fiddly operation and one of the big challenges seems to be getting the sleeve pitch correct after the arm is separated. Can't remember how much the operation is, as it's normally part of several other alterations, but it could be £60-70.
post #29 of 33
Clearly this man does not want to do it and so you should not press him further. Try someone else there appears to be some believe it can be done although the jacket in question may be the problem and you should recognise that.
post #30 of 33
It can be done but not always. It really depends on the cut of the sleeve. If it is made with very little roping, there might not be enough room in the sleevehead to get it back in nicely, depending on how much you want to take it up. Trust your tailor and if you like, get a second opinion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Calling all tailors and/or cognoscenti: shorten jacket sleeve from shoulder question