• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ann Demeulemeester

svelten

Reaction score
This is my all-time favorite designer and there doesn't seem to be a thread about her here. Inspired by the random thread on Julius, who is awesome... but I find Ann D. to be more wearable and is still for me the best balance of fashion and practicality, particularly for her outerwear and boots.

F/W 2009

00210m.jpg

00220m.jpg

00270m.jpg

00020m.jpg

S/S 2010

00100m.jpg

00280m.jpg

00090m.jpg

00070m.jpg

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She's great, the quintessential deconstructionist and the best designer to revive and modernize old fashion, particularly that of medieval, gothic and equestrian styles.

Only complaint I have of her is a slight overuse of black, at least as of late, but that is moreso personal taste than objective criticism.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does Ann D overuse black? Her label is (about) black.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
She's great, the quintessential deconstructionist and the best designer to revive and modernize old fashion, particularly that of medieval, gothic and equestrian styles.

Only complaint I have of her is a slight overuse of black, at least as of late, but that is moreso personal taste than objective criticism.

Her latest collections have had less black than usual. She always included black and white but white had quite a presence in the last one, along with soft shades like pale pink.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The Japanese designers you listed generally stick to varying shades of neutral colors, where as Ann D's palette is stark black + white.

chroMe

Reaction score
I was quite into her look in 01/02, was also going through a Belgium phase; ballets c de la b, the then Body Worlds (prof Von Gunther dry meat exhibit) which was still banned in the UK so I made a trip over to Brussels. I never see her stuff en masse; just pieces dotted around higher end shops.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chroMe
I was quite into her look in 01/02, was also going through a Belgium phase; ballets c de la b, the then Body Worlds (prof Von Gunther dry meat exhibit) which was still banned in the UK so I made a trip over to Brussels. I never see her stuff en masse; just pieces dotted around higher end shops.

She has a store in Antwerp.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I also remember Ann D from 2001'ish, there was a women's collection around that time using netting over draped fabric that really made an impression on me, back when the whole 'bondage' thing was really beginning to show up, and the couple years after were all great as well. More recent stuff, it's hard to see anything new.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
New Romantics

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
Those models look like a combo between Sweeny Todd and Chris Angel...

and someone from a twilight movie

chroMe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
She has a store in Antwerp.

Maybe due for a day visit as I also want to check out walter beirendonck's shop too. It can be a Belgique designer pilgrimage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads