• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I have been asked by a very close friend to attend the unveiling of a headstone at a cemetery this Sunday. I believe this is 1 year after the death of their relative and, in my mind, this is a sort of celebration of their life and the unveiling of the headstone is a tribute. In other words, it is not a grim affair.

The problem is that I don't own a black suit, black sport coat or black shoes. I have black pants and a black shirt. I have a navy chalk-stripe suit and a black/grey chunky hounds tooth sport coat. I have dark brown shoes and many different shirts/ties.

What should I wear? A small part of me wants to put on black pants, a black shirt and the grey/black sport coat, but I don't want to look like a waiter. Then again, I don't want to offend anyone, and seeing as how this is a Russian/Jewish event, I am 99% sure most men will wear black regardless of whether it's a happy event or not (Russians love black for everything).

Thanks guys!

Night Owl

Reaction score
you have black shorts dont you

2yzh34w.jpg

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Dude, this is serious threak. Stop with the predictable bullshit. The shorts are navy.

my bad looked black on my monitor
pair it up with some navy socks = good to go

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think black is completely necessary, as long as the outfit is somber with little to no "color". Navy, charcoal, white, black, etc should make up the core of the outfits color.

Wear a striped or patterned tie, white pocket square, and a well fitting jacket to set you apart from the waitstaff. Don't carry a towel or platter either.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear the chalk-stripe. Maybe the sportscoat with grey or charcoal pants.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Navy or charcoal are going to be just fine for the occasion. I don't own a black suit, and in the many unfortunate occasions over the past few years in which I've had to attend funerals or wakes, navy or charcoal did the job admirably. Just make sure you pick a dark shade of navy and not a vibrant, light, or colorful one.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I don't think black is completely necessary, as long as the outfit is somber with little to no "color". Navy, charcoal, white, black, etc should make up the core of the outfits color. Wear a striped or patterned tie, white pocket square, and a well fitting jacket to set you apart from the waitstaff. Don't carry a towel or platter either.
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Navy or charcoal are going to be just fine for the occasion. I don't own a black suit, and in the many unfortunate occasions over the past few years in which I've had to attend funerals or wakes, navy or charcoal did the job admirably. Just make sure you pick a dark shade of navy and not a vibrant, light, or colorful one.
Originally Posted by KObalto
I wouldn't wear the chalk-stripe. Maybe the sportscoat with grey or charcoal pants.
Thank you guys - much appreciated. Would a chalk-stripe not work in this case? I don't own a solid suit.
uhoh.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think navy and as inconspicuous as possible. this is one day you don't want people noticing your clothes.

Closer

Reaction score
Moo, If you feel like shopping, now would be a good time to add a solid charcoal suit to your arsenal. My advise is to not be cheap, and buy somthing you really like since it is a wardrope staple.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i think navy and as inconspicuous as possible. this is one day you don't want people noticing your clothes.
Solid navy would be my choice as well.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think chalk stripes would be somber enough. Pinstripes would be okay.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Moo,
Since, as you stated, it is more a celebration of the mans life and therefore not a grim affair,
stay away from 'funeral attire'. I see no problem at all with wearing your chalk stripe suit.
Were it me, I'd even wear brown shoes. The only thing I, personally would not wear, are polka dots or loud colors. Whatever you decide, you are still going to be the best dressed man there.
Let us know how it all turned out, and what the others wore. I'll wager you'll come out aces.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Mr Moo,
Since, as you stated, it is more a celebration of the mans life and therefore not a grim affair,
stay away from 'funeral attire'. I see no problem at all with wearing your chalk stripe suit.
Were it me, I'd even wear brown shoes. The only thing I, personally would not wear, are polka dots or loud colors. Whatever you decide, you are still going to be the best dressed man there.
Let us know how it all turned out, and what the others wore. I'll wager you'll come out aces.

I tend to agree but I've been to a couple of "Celebration of Life" services recently and everyone was dressed in traditional funeral attire, myself included. Those who were not seemed out of place. This occasion seems much different though, so it'll be great if Moo reports back to us as you've suggested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads