or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Blue collar wannabes - Why??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blue collar wannabes - Why?? - Page 2

post #16 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Since when is being blue collar considered mediocre?

So you weren't aware that wearing a suit makes you a better person?
post #17 of 96
Thread Starter 
Whatever. I never said being blue collar was a bad thing. The world needs ditch diggers too (caddyshack quote). I said WANNABE'S - read before you post.

I'm talking about the people sit in cubicles all day and wear work boots, cargo jeans, etc. They own a pickup truck, but the back is spotless because they have never hauled anything ever. It says "Offroad" in big letters on the side, but the tires have never seen anything besides pavement. They talk big about beating people up, but have never been in physical confrontation themselves.

I don't understand this fashion sense that people get pushed into. Why??
post #18 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
So you weren't aware that wearing a suit makes you a better person?

No, I know it does. I just pretend I don't so that people think I'm all hip and working class. It's the ultimate hipster irony - I know I'm better than blue collar people, but I pretend I'm one of the people to whom I believe I'm superior. This way I can mingle with the workin' folk and retain the down-to-Earthness that makes me able to stoop to their level so that I'm cool enough to learn how to stoop to their level.

It's a level of transcendent hipness to which many aspire but few achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Whatever. I never said being blue collar was a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Since when is aiming for mediocrity a good thing?

You are aware that we can all see your old posts, right?
post #19 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
Whatever. I never said being blue collar was a bad thing. The world needs ditch diggers too (caddyshack quote). I said WANNABE'S - read before you post.

I'm talking about the people sit in cubicles all day and wear work boots, cargo jeans, etc. They own a pickup truck, but the back is spotless because they have never hauled anything ever. It says "Offroad" in big letters on the side, but the tires have never seen anything besides pavement. They talk big about beating people up, but have never been in physical confrontation themselves.

I don't understand this fashion sense that people get pushed into. Why??

and i was nto refering to you attack upon wannabe but you apparent the fact that you refered to blue collar jobs as mediocre, so you are claiming your whitecoller jobs require more ability and skills. so yes in your post you did disparage blue collar jobs and are contiueing ot do so by claiming that all blue collar jobs are equal to that of ditch diggers.
post #20 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post


You are aware that we can all see your old posts, right?

post #21 of 96
Because it looks cool. Check out Old Bushey here, compared to his suit look:
post #22 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodum5 View Post
Because a lot of the stuff are nice, durable and comfortable.

Any clothing will seem durable when you are in the chair force pushing papers. Nothing you do will wear it out anytime soon.

I don't doubt it's nice or comfy though, but at the same time chilling in an air conditioned environment all day is quite comfy regardless of your clothes. Just sayin.
post #23 of 96
The Great Recession and white collar disillusionment.

As America's decline becomes clearer, people are looking back to America's ascendancy, the golden age of American power.
post #24 of 96
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarphe View Post
you refered to blue collar jobs as mediocre, so you are claiming your whitecoller jobs require more ability and skills.

White collar jobs usually do require a higher education level. More education = More skill & ability. So yes, that is my claim.

I don't think I'm better than them though. Other than my education... and my skill and ability and fashion sense and punctuation (additional and's added for irony).
post #25 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
The Great Recession and white collar disillusionment.

As America's decline becomes clearer, people are looking back to America's ascendancy, the golden age of American power.

If people are looking back for their cues to America's ascencesion, they would be dressing better, not worse.
post #26 of 96
Neither mediocre, nor poor, but he dresses in jeans and black mock turtleneck everyday:

post #27 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
White collar jobs usually do require a higher education level. More education = More skill & ability. So yes, that is my claim. I don't think I'm better than them though. Other than my education... and my skill and ability and fashion sense and punctuation (additional and's added for irony).
so you have more abiltiy and skill than an electrician or farmer with same amount of experience as you in his field? i would say they are simply different skill sets not. you go o uni to study, many blue collar jobs have apprentiships programs in which they learn the saem amount. and yes you did claim you are better because you are acceptabel in your position they are simply mediocre with their blue collar jobs that apparently require little or no skill. i do not work on a ranch but i do own one, and my manager is equal to in education in my accoutant or lawyer, he just never went uni to get it oh and he can do basic math.
post #28 of 96
Thread Starter 
Job's weekend clothes must be:

post #29 of 96
Jobs dresses the way he does due to the reason I put forth earlier: the classless society.

At some point, dressing in jeans becomes an affectation, that translates as much semiotic information as does a 5k bespoke suit. Actually, it probably translates more.
post #30 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
If people are looking back for their cues to America's ascencesion, they would be dressing better, not worse.

i take it you don't like the workwear look?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Blue collar wannabes - Why??