or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread - Page 185

post #2761 of 4574
I got my KW suit a couple of months ago and wore it to a wedding last week. Fit on the jacket was perfect but fit on the pants was slightly too trendy for my tastes, i.e. relatively low rise and pretty slim leg. I doubt this is standard and perhaps I just didn't make it clear what I wanted, but those are still the pants I have to live with. Definitely won't be able to wear to the office due to the aforementioned low rise, but makes for a nice lightweight yet formal suit for any period of time in which I won't be sitting down for 10 hours at a time.

One small complaint would be the lack of label anywhere in the jacket. I guess for some this is a feature and others a bug. I asked for a monogram at the trunk show but was steered away from that and told that their embroiderer wasn't great or something to that effect (don't quote me, it was 3+ months ago) so I didn't get one, but I wish there was a standard option to have the customer's name and the date of purchase or month/year or something like that. Has no effect on the fit or look of the suit itself, just a minor quibble on my part.

Also snagged the Egyptian PS and the navy knit with the point end. Wish the pocket squares were larger, but I guess others like the smaller size.
post #2762 of 4574
sftiger, What kind of place do you work at that you can't wear your pants because the rise is 1" lower than standard?
post #2763 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftiger View Post

One small complaint would be the lack of label anywhere in the jacket. I guess for some this is a feature and others a bug. I asked for a monogram at the trunk show but was steered away from that and told that their embroiderer wasn't great or something to that effect (don't quote me, it was 3+ months ago) so I didn't get one, but I wish there was a standard option to have the customer's name and the date of purchase or month/year or something like that. Has no effect on the fit or look of the suit itself, just a minor quibble on my part.
 

This is my only complaint on the jackets I have as well. I'm not sure I want to order anything over A or B just because it has no label. I know the first aspect is fit, and Kent NAILED my fit. But it's just weird having no label on something I spend $575-$650 on. Maybe even higher, if there was a label.

 

Someone pointed out ordering a blue linen sport coat. That's like group H or something. Made me cringe. I had asked for the luxury swatches, but then decided I didn't even need them since I wouldn't spend that much on them with no label.

post #2764 of 4574

I may be weird, but I actually like the lack of label. I don't need to be reminded who made the suit when I open the jacket. I think this is consistent with his shoes, and his watch. I like the indea of anti-branding, letting the quality be the focus.

 

To me, KW's main selling point is the quality to price ratio. Anti-branding is consistent with that objective. I would assume that developing a label has some substantial costs: hiring a design firm, having the labels made, and applied to the various products. I have no desire to bear any part of those costs.

post #2765 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

This is my only complaint on the jackets I have as well. I'm not sure I want to order anything over A or B just because it has no label. I know the first aspect is fit, and Kent NAILED my fit. But it's just weird having no label on something I spend $575-$650 on. Maybe even higher, if there was a label.

 

Someone pointed out ordering a blue linen sport coat. That's like group H or something. Made me cringe. I had asked for the luxury swatches, but then decided I didn't even need them since I wouldn't spend that much on them with no label.

No offense, but you're way too hung up on this label thing.  Nobody ever sees the labels on any of my suits, but they sure notice the fit and fabric.  I can't imagine steering away from any of KW's suits, just because there was no label making me feel better about how much I spent.

post #2766 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftiger View Post

I got my KW suit a couple of months ago and wore it to a wedding last week. Fit on the jacket was perfect but fit on the pants was slightly too trendy for my tastes, i.e. relatively low rise and pretty slim leg. I doubt this is standard and perhaps I just didn't make it clear what I wanted, but those are still the pants I have to live with. Definitely won't be able to wear to the office due to the aforementioned low rise, but makes for a nice lightweight yet formal suit for any period of time in which I won't be sitting down for 10 hours at a time.

One small complaint would be the lack of label anywhere in the jacket. I guess for some this is a feature and others a bug. I asked for a monogram at the trunk show but was steered away from that and told that their embroiderer wasn't great or something to that effect (don't quote me, it was 3+ months ago) so I didn't get one, but I wish there was a standard option to have the customer's name and the date of purchase or month/year or something like that. Has no effect on the fit or look of the suit itself, just a minor quibble on my part.

Also snagged the Egyptian PS and the navy knit with the point end. Wish the pocket squares were larger, but I guess others like the smaller size.

 

I'm pretty conservative with rise and slacks, so, even though KW thought the pants fit was spot on, I had KW add 0.5 cm to the thighs, legs and rise.  Very happy with the finished result. 

post #2767 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

No offense, but you're way too hung up on this label thing.  Nobody ever sees the labels on any of my suits, but they sure notice the fit and fabric.  I can't imagine steering away from any of KW's suits, just because there was no label making me feel better about how much I spent.

No offense as I get where you're coming from. But I believe I've got a different and just as valid point of view.

 

$600 for something and it's got no label on it. Not that I'm a label whore because if I was, I'd be going for other names like Hugo with a shitty fit but a label. It's just weird to me that Kent is making money off of sport coats and suits and hasn't put his name on the product. The first time I saw that, I got a feeling he was afraid to stand behind his product or something. I know he isn't but that's the impression I have every time I look at one of my $600 sport coats with absolutely no indication of the maker of fabric or jacket. I mean, hell, send me the label and I'll hand sew it. Next time someone asks who made the sport coats I get, should I just send a picture of the lining with no label and say "not really sure"? 

 

That's the other thing. How much more work is it to get a label on there? If you're selling so many, don't you WANT your name on there? 

 

I hate to talk bad about the KW brand at all since all the carry is great stuff and KW has been 10/10 customer service but this label thing is kind of in the back of my head when I'm purchasing it. But again, I do understand and respect your point of view as well. 

post #2768 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post

I may be weird, but I actually like the lack of label. I don't need to be reminded who made the suit when I open the jacket. I think this is consistent with his shoes, and his watch. I like the indea of anti-branding, letting the quality be the focus.

That's not the idea behind it though. Kent told me he just hasn't gotten around to labels yet.

post #2769 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

No offense as I get where you're coming from. But I believe I've got a different and just as valid point of view.

 

$600 for something and it's got no label on it. Not that I'm a label whore because if I was, I'd be going for other names like Hugo with a shitty fit but a label. It's just weird to me that Kent is making money off of sport coats and suits and hasn't put his name on the product. The first time I saw that, I got a feeling he was afraid to stand behind his product or something. I know he isn't but that's the impression I have every time I look at one of my $600 sport coats with absolutely no indication of the maker of fabric or jacket. I mean, hell, send me the label and I'll hand sew it. Next time someone asks who made the sport coats I get, should I just send a picture of the lining with no label and say "not really sure"? 

 

That's the other thing. How much more work is it to get a label on there? If you're selling so many, don't you WANT your name on there? 

 

I hate to talk bad about the KW brand at all since all the carry is great stuff and KW has been 10/10 customer service but this label thing is kind of in the back of my head when I'm purchasing it. But again, I do understand and respect your point of view as well. 

 

When someone asks, I just tell them I had the suit made for me and leave it at that.

post #2770 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post

sftiger, What kind of place do you work at that you can't wear your pants because the rise is 1" lower than standard?

It's not the office (like most offices in America, my coworkers dress terribly), it's the fact that I will have no feeling in my nether regions after sitting in front of a computer for that long with lower rise pants.
post #2771 of 4574
Why would you even send a pic of the label to someone who asks who made it as opposed to just telling them the brand name?

I have mtm suits from Andrew lock as well and there are no labels on the jacket or pants. It does come with a suit bag that has his name on it but no one is going to see that either
post #2772 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

That's not the idea behind it though. Kent told me he just hasn't gotten around to labels yet.

The lack of Kent Wang label is not the problem as I don't intend to show anyone the inside of my jacket. I just wish it said "SFTiger March 2013" or something like that. I could have specified this so it's not KW's fault, but I just kind of like a reminder of when I bought the piece of clothing. For example, all of my CEGO shirts say the month and year that they were made.
post #2773 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post

I may be weird, but I actually like the lack of label. I don't need to be reminded who made the suit when I open the jacket. I think this is consistent with his shoes, and his watch. I like the indea of anti-branding, letting the quality be the focus.

 

To me, KW's main selling point is the quality to price ratio. Anti-branding is consistent with that objective. I would assume that developing a label has some substantial costs: hiring a design firm, having the labels made, and applied to the various products. I have no desire to bear any part of those costs.

 

Another thing, I understand the lack of label with a few things. But it's not placed openly. If it was, I would not buy it. Labels on fronts of shirts, pants, shoes, etc. Those are to be ignored. These are labels on the inside, which is not loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

 

When someone asks, I just tell them I had the suit made for me and leave it at that.

I say the same. The tailors thought it fit great for the most part (before they ruined it) and paused when they saw no label. Not that that's an example scenario, I just thought it was funny.

 

Either way, it's got to be a semi-easy task to get labels on a product you're having made for you. Plus, if I have to sell this if I gain weight in my chest and can't alter it, the resell value even here is not going to be great with no label. It's possible LuxeSwap won't even take it. And if he does, it won't get much. That's a bummer too.

post #2774 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftiger View Post


The lack of Kent Wang label is not the problem as I don't intend to show anyone the inside of my jacket. I just wish it said "SFTiger March 2013" or something like that. I could have specified this so it's not KW's fault, but I just kind of like a reminder of when I bought the piece of clothing. For example, all of my CEGO shirts say the month and year that they were made.

 

I agree.  I thought it would come with my name on a label and the date.

post #2775 of 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post

Why would you even send a pic of the label to someone who asks who made it as opposed to just telling them the brand name?

The picture was a joke, although maybe a good idea to do it. 

 

Should I say the brand name? Does Kent want it out there? It's not on his jacket anywhere. Maybe a better response is, "I'm not sure he'd want you to know."

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread