or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread - Page 179

post #2671 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

I had a question.. any reason why these jackets and suits can't have a Kent Wang label? They're really nice but it's a little sad there's no label at all.

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning! I definitely think a KW label should be included.
post #2672 of 3940
can anyone here recommend a Carmina last that fits similar to KW's benchgrade line? I have the brown captoe balmorals, and I was looking at some stuff from Carmina. Would the Rain last be pretty similar to these KW oxfords?
post #2673 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocyte View Post

 

Damn it. I have a suit with both and I will never again feel the same about it after reading this. :-/

+1

post #2674 of 3940
Even the most indefensible hacking / ticket pocket configuration is still more practical than a necktie or pocket square.

Let's try to get a grip.
post #2675 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzAzul View Post

Even the most indefensible hacking / ticket pocket configuration is still more practical than a necktie or pocket square.

Let's try to get a grip.

It's funny you say that. I know what you mean but I don't follow your lead here.

 

I like surgeons cuffs but I was never a high ranking official or a surgeon.

I like 3r2 because it's a little more on the historical side of suiting

I don't need a ticket pocket because I don't ride trains

I don't need hacking pocket because I don't ride horses

Neck ties are OK

Pocket squares are OK

 

Some things you have a reason you like or don't like and others you just follow or like for other reasons, without fully making sense. Here, I would avoid both hacking and ticket, and wear a neck tie and pocket square :-D

post #2676 of 3940

How does the Jcrew ludlow compare to a KW suit? I bought several polos and I am extremely happy with the quality. I spent about $500 for Jcrew's signature half-canvassed 2 piece, but I can return it. I know KW suits are full canvassed/ MTM and I would like to hear your opinion on it. At the $800 price point, are there other companies that provide a similar quality? (black lapel, suit supply etc...). Is it worth the jump, from $500 (ludlow) to $800 (KW)?

 

For my measurements

 

Chest = 34

Shoulders = 17.5

Sleeves = 32

 

 


Edited by docka - 6/28/13 at 11:09am
post #2677 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

How does the Jcrew ludlow compare to a KW suit? I bought several polos and I am extremely happy with the quality. I spent about $500 for Jcrew's signature half-canvassed 2 piece, but I can return it. I know KW suits are full canvassed/ MTM and I would like to hear your opinion on it. At the $800 price point, are there other companies that provide a similar quality? (black lapel, suit supply etc...). Is it worth the jump, from $500 (ludlow) to $800 (KW). 

For my measurements

Chest = 34
Shoulders = 17.5

Sleeves = 32


 

The lower end suitsupply suits are half-canvassed. Black lapel i believe is also half canvassed. You can't compare a RTW suit to a MTM suit. Spend the extra money, it's an investment.
post #2678 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

How does the Jcrew ludlow compare to a KW suit? I bought several polos and I am extremely happy with the quality. I spent about $500 for Jcrew's signature half-canvassed 2 piece, but I can return it. I know KW suits are full canvassed/ MTM and I would like to hear your opinion on it. At the $800 price point, are there other companies that provide a similar quality? (black lapel, suit supply etc...). Is it worth the jump, from $500 (ludlow) to $800 (KW)?


My 2 cents, which is free and you get what you pay for...If you find an OTR suit that fits you extremely well and you like the styling and construction, then rock on and buy as many as you need. But I see a few reasons to consider MTM:
1) You can't find suits that properly fit your body type.
2) You want access to more fabrics.
3) You want to adjust options from suit to suit (# of buttons, vents, flat/pleated, cuffed/no, etc).

These days my main rotation consists of KW and Suit Supply, and I'm very happy with both. I only own sport coats from J Crew. While I like the SS fit and price, there are things I would like to change, like lowering the button stance, and giving me a longer pair of pants that I can cuff. I turned to KW at the start to get a fabric that SS (nor J Crew, or a few others) did not offer, and for a price that was reasonable. My 2nd suit from KW was for the same reason. For each one I was also able to make the adjustments that I wish I could make on my SS suits. For me, satisfying reasons #2 and #3 makes KW a good buy for me.
post #2679 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post


My 2 cents, which is free and you get what you pay for...If you find an OTR suit that fits you extremely well and you like the styling and construction, then rock on and buy as many as you need. But I see a few reasons to consider MTM:
1) You can't find suits that properly fit your body type.
2) You want access to more fabrics.
3) You want to adjust options from suit to suit (# of buttons, vents, flat/pleated, cuffed/no, etc).

These days my main rotation consists of KW and Suit Supply, and I'm very happy with both. I only own sport coats from J Crew. While I like the SS fit and price, there are things I would like to change, like lowering the button stance, and giving me a longer pair of pants that I can cuff. I turned to KW at the start to get a fabric that SS (nor J Crew, or a few others) offered for a price that was reasonable. My 2nd suit from KW was for the same reason. For each one I was also able to make the adjustments that I wish I could make on my SS suits. For me, satisfying reasons #2 and #3 makes KW a good buy for me.

Aside from being able to customize the suit, in terms of construction and quality, are Jcrew and SS similar to KW? From your point of view, is it worth the $300-$400 jump? How do you like your Jcrew sport coats (I'm assuming you have the ludlows)?  

post #2680 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by docka View Post

Aside from being able to customize the suit, in terms of construction and quality, are Jcrew and SS similar to KW? From your point of view, is it worth the $300-$400 jump? How do you like your Jcrew sport coats (I'm assuming you have the ludlows)?  

The sport coats are fine. I didn't have to do much tailoring. They are both tweed so being seasonal wear I don't care as much about canvassing because I won't wear it out quickly.

KW was worth the jump to get the fabric I want and the sizing adjustments. I am very picky with details. The MTM just feels great when I put it on. Instantly my favorite suits.

This really is a hard question to project for you because no one else knows what you like, how you like to wear your suits, how picky you are about details, how "custom" you want it to feel, and if there is a brand that provides all of this for you already. Full canvas is worth a lot of money to some people, and is a "meh" to others. Being able to get a 3-roll-2 stance is killer for some, and others don't know what that even means. Some want a particular ankle opening, and others just want it "slim". Some want the coat to be exactly 30.2578" long and others are generally fine with a regular.

So I'll say this, if the J Crew is everything you think you want and fits well, then don't worry about MTM. But if every time you put it on you say "I wish XXX was different" or "I can't seem to get ZZZ to quite fit right no matter what the tailor does" then MTM should be considered. That is ultimately what drove me to consider MTM in the first place. The suits I was buying would each get me 90% of what I want, but never that last 10%.
post #2681 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts View Post


The sport coats are fine. I didn't have to do much tailoring. They are both tweed so being seasonal wear I don't care as much about canvassing because I won't wear it out quickly.

KW was worth the jump to get the fabric I want and the sizing adjustments. I am very picky with details. The MTM just feels great when I put it on. Instantly my favorite suits.

This really is a hard question to project for you because no one else knows what you like, how you like to wear your suits, how picky you are about details, how "custom" you want it to feel, and if there is a brand that provides all of this for you already. Full canvas is worth a lot of money to some people, and is a "meh" to others. Being able to get a 3-roll-2 stance is killer for some, and others don't know what that even means. Some want a particular ankle opening, and others just want it "slim". Some want the coat to be exactly 30.2578" long and others are generally fine with a regular.

So I'll say this, if the J Crew is everything you think you want and fits well, then don't worry about MTM. But if every time you put it on you say "I wish XXX was different" or "I can't seem to get ZZZ to quite fit right no matter what the tailor does" then MTM should be considered. That is ultimately what drove me to consider MTM in the first place. The suits I was buying would each get me 90% of what I want, but never that last 10%.

Awesome. That was very, very helpful. Much thanks. 

post #2682 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by noinimod View Post

Anyone with feedback on the quality of the v1/v2 white sneakers? Cheers

 

Here's a couple quick pictures of the V2 sneakers. I ended up having to size up from my benchgrade balmoral size. Overall quality seems very good. Although I've never handled Common Projects sneakers to really give a good comparison.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2683 of 3940
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitch101 View Post

Here's a couple quick pictures of the V2 sneakers. I ended up having to size up from my benchgrade balmoral size. Overall quality seems very good. Although I've never handled Common Projects sneakers to really give a good comparison.

Thank you for sharing the pictures, they look excellent!
post #2684 of 3940

Anyone have a 38 jacket/suit made from KW with standard lapels to compare mine to? 

 

Wanting to go standard but I think my linen sports coat has slightly bigger.. not wide, but not a measurement for regular width either. Which I actually like.

post #2685 of 3940
Any idea when polos will be back in stock?
I keep checking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread