or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kent Wang - Affiliate thread - Page 157

post #2341 of 3916

Someone else will answer more completely. And I have no experience owning any of those suits. 

 

I do have 3 KW suits with a 4th on the way. The fabric is good quality, better than what I see at Brooks Brothers or any department store. Also, you can order high end fabric from him or send him your own fancy fabric and have a suit made for $750 + fabric cost.

post #2342 of 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGuy13 View Post

For anyone who has one of the Kent Wang suits... How would you rank it compared to more traditional makers in terms of craftsmanship, fabric, etc? I'm most familiar with BB and PRL's stuff. Is it like an 1818/Blue Label, but full-canvas? Is it comparable to Golden Fleece? To Purple Label?

A prominent DC tailor (not Will Field) thought it was a $2000 suit when I brought it in. He was shocked when I told him it was $750.
post #2343 of 3916

KW suits are the best value going right now.

post #2344 of 3916
Quality is easily above BB. Also, I have a RLPL navy blazer and the quality and construction of my KW suit jacket is on par with that.
post #2345 of 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

Quality is easily above BB. Also, I have a RLPL navy blazer and the quality and construction of my KW suit jacket is on par with that.

Kent Wang is not on par with purple label. A great value sure, but RLPL?  Come on man.

post #2346 of 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

Kent Wang is not on par with purple label. A great value sure, but RLPL?  Come on man.

I'm assuming you have extensive experience with both brands to back up your claim? I'm not going to rip the garments apart and compare the construction, and if you want to nit-pick I'm sure RLPL has more slightly more handwork. But my KW jacket fits better (which is expected since its MTM) and the fabric and details are just as nice. If I could buy a Purple Label suit for $800 (which happens on B&S here regularly, I've actually seen several sell for less than that), or an MTM from Kent Wang, I'm picking the KW every single time.
Edited by Beatlegeuse - 5/14/13 at 5:53pm
post #2347 of 3916
As somebody preparing to leave tweedy academia for the real world, I've decided to take the plunge and invest in a real suit, if only for interviews. Browsing through this thread, I've been very impressed by the fit of Kent's jackets, but I'm concerned about the trousers. My trouser preferences probably diverge somewhat from the SF norm: I like a high rise (at the true waist) and a fuller cut, with a moderate taper. The trousers I've seen in this thread seem to trend towards the opposite aesthetic. Vox's famous fit pic below is a good approximation of what I'm after.



I understand that such Voxian perfection is impossible without going bespoke, but can Kent's pattern be adjusted to similar proportions, and has anybody gone this route? And are forward pleats an option, or only reverse?
post #2348 of 3916
Will the trench coat be restocked in 38R sometime soon?
post #2349 of 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12387 View Post

I'll track down a better picture, but KW midnight blue shawl collar. Fantastically well made, Kent. I got a ton of compliments.

Uncanny! I just had almost exactly the same thing made. Did you use the 7004 fabric?

post #2350 of 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post


Don't do the narrow lapels; it will look stupid.

 

This. Those lapels look great on you. Perhaps worth lowering the buttoning point though...?

post #2351 of 3916
Still can't get over the really high gorge on the jackets. To my eyes it really messes with the overall balance. I hope in the future you decide to lower the buttoning point on the trial jackets (as most people seem to ask for that) and make the gorge a more classic height.
post #2352 of 3916
I like the gorge where it is, although certainly it would be nice if it were adjustable. I believe Kent has said this is not an option currently offered by his maker.
post #2353 of 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post


I'm assuming you have extensive experience with both brands to back up your claim? I'm not going to rip the garments apart and compare the construction, and if you want to nit-pick I'm sure RLPL has more slightly more handwork. But my KW jacket fits better (which is expected since its MTM) and the fabric and details are just as nice. If I could buy a Purple Label suit for $800 (which happens on B&S here regularly, I've actually seen several sell for less than that), or an MTM from Kent Wang, I'm picking the KW every single time.

Your assumption would be correct. Don't take my word for it, look at the evidence. JefferyD deconstructed a RLPL garment, and the quality is of the highest. Further, the definitive quality thread showcases a consensus of purple label being among the finest suiting on can buy. This forum is made up of many experts and that is the consensus. Lastly, RLPL is constructed to the highest standards @ one of the finest Italian tailoring houses. 

 

Fit is irrelevant (as we are discussing construction and quality). There are endless folks who achieve a superior fit with RTW suits, including RLPL. 

 

Wang offers a tremendous value for the $. The construction of his garments is very good. Love his stuff. That said, it is not on par with RLPL, it's just not man. You're comparing a Mercedes S class to a Bentley. Nothing wrong with a benz!

post #2354 of 3916
^ you're probably right, and I'm most likely getting hung up on the fit of my KW suit. I've had other lower-end MTM before (cough...Indochino...cough), and the KW completely blows that out of the water. That's more like comparing a Hyundai to a Benz! Come to think of it, comparing Indochino to Hyundai is actually disrespectful to Hyundai.

In my experience with my garments, I like my KW better and wear it more than my RLPL pieces, but I'm sure if I had the funds to get RLPL MTM, I would be supremely satisfied with that as well.
post #2355 of 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse View Post

^ you're probably right, and I'm most likely getting hung up on the fit of my KW suit. I've had other lower-end MTM before (cough...Indochino...cough), and the KW completely blows that out of the water. That's more like comparing a Hyundai to a Benz! Come to think of it, comparing Indochino to Hyundai is actually disrespectful to Hyundai.

In my experience with my garments, I like my KW better and wear it more than my RLPL pieces, but I'm sure if I had the funds to get RLPL MTM, I would be supremely satisfied with that as well.

Absolutely. Value wise, Wang is right up there with Samuelson. Best bang for the buck by a country mile.

At the end of the day, your happiness and the fit is key. Construction is important, but, as you said, it's really about the fit.

My point was RLPL makes some really really nice sheeyt, so if their cuts work for you, it's a crazy value NWT for under a grand/suit. Construction/fabric wise they are among the tops (only bested by Oxxford, Kiton, Rubanacci, etc).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread