or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Top six books for you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Top six books for you - Page 3

post #31 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post
Read these across different points in my life, so my level of maturity and development varied, but these books had the biggest impact in their time and place: Shakespeare - anything he wrote The Autobiography of Malcolm X Probability Theory- the Logic of Science E T Jaynes Anarchy State and Utopia Nozick The Palm at the End of the Mind - The complete poems of Wallace Stevens
#6The Shield of Achilles Phillip Bobbitt
post #32 of 174
Neuromancer All Quiet on the Western Front/ A Farewell to Arms American Psycho Lolita/The Stranger (kind of in the same vein) American Pastoral
post #33 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
In no particular order: Coppleston's History of Phil set
You are a better man than I. I trudged through them all but my poor Greek and lack of German hindered the process. I wouldn't do it again. Edit: Am I the only one who preferred The Three Musketeers over the Count.
post #34 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post
Anarchy State and Utopia Nozick

Does this mean you're not a Rawls fan?
post #35 of 174
I generally do not read books more than once, because there are too many I haven't read, so these are the major landmarks for me. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce My introduction to Joyce was Dubliners, but the way that the text matured with Stephen won me over. The innocence to the melancholy to the the deep conversations bubbling up to the moment of creative inspiration, it just resonated so strongly with me at the time. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Hey, it got me into reading. The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison Racial identity explored into identity in general has never been so well-expressed. Our Posthuman Future by Francis Fukuyama I'm a nerd that loves technology, or rather its possibilities. After reading the garbage that is Kurzweil's The Singularity is Near, I was relieved to find that there is actually a book with rigor on the topic of technological developments and the societal impact that they may have. Prolegomena to any Future Metaphysics by Immanuel Kant This short book literally turned my perspective of the world inside out and plunged me into a world of terribly long and boring passages, just because I want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. The Stranger by Albert Camus My gateway to absurdism, existentialism, and philosophy in general.
post #36 of 174
i honestly think less of people who enjoy portrait of the artist, sorry
post #37 of 174
So, am I the only one who will admit to liking books that ivory-tower lit professors would sniff at? (By the way, I have a master's degree in literature.)
post #38 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
i honestly think less of people who enjoy portrait of the artist, sorry
Is that just Portrait of Joyce in general? Care to elaborate? Also, Dedalus, have you read Joyce beyond portrait? I'd have to go with -Crime and Punishment -Sun Also Rises -Ulysses -Le Petit Prince -To the Lighthouse or Mrs Dalloway, even though I get annoyed with Woolf's style over the length of an entire novel. -CS Lewis' work in general -Does a collected works of Shakespeare count? -TS Eliot - The Wasteland etc.
post #39 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
So, am I the only one who will admit to liking books that ivory-tower lit professors would sniff at? (By the way, I have a master's degree in literature.)

Hey, I tossed up a sci-fi book and an eff'ing cookbook!
post #40 of 174
Siddhartha - Hesse
The Myth of Sisyphus - Camus
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle - Murakami
The Book of Secrets - Osho
American Psycho - Ellis
Crime and Punishment - D-dawg
post #41 of 174
Heinlein is one of my favorite authors, but we are providing the top six.
post #42 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroStyles View Post
Siddhartha - Hesse
The Myth of Sisyphus - Camus
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle - Murakami
The Book of Secrets - Osho
American Psycho - Ellis
Crime and Punishment - D-dawg

Bonus books!

Anything by Bukowski
Tropic of Cancer - Miller
post #43 of 174
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis The Great Gatsby by F.S.F. The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de Saint Exupéry The Odyssey by Homer - gotta love the epic poem genre
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Is that just Portrait of Joyce in general? Care to elaborate? Also, Dedalus, have you read Joyce beyond portrait? I'd have to go with -Crime and Punishment -Sun Also Rises -Ulysses -Le Petit Prince -To the Lighthouse or Mrs Dalloway, even though I get annoyed with Woolf's style over the length of an entire novel. -CS Lewis' work in general -Does a collected works of Shakespeare count? -TS Eliot - The Wasteland etc.
I hate how our lists overlap.
post #44 of 174
Jesus. I wouldn't even know where to start.
post #45 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Hey, I tossed up a sci-fi book and an eff'ing cookbook!

Oops...missed that! Okay, anybody else who thinks the emperor is buck nekkid?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Top six books for you