or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › the most awesome room I have ever seen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

the most awesome room I have ever seen - Page 7

post #91 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
Looks like a Thigh Master mounted on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post

'Carlton' sideboard by Ettore Sottsass, 1981

HA ha -- well, you guys obviously are not familiar with Memphis Milano. it was an international design group in the early '80s based in Milan. They played a big part in transforming the formulaic furniture designs being produced in Italy (and around the world) by the late 1970s. They purposefully subverted the norms of form, function, and "good taste".

The 1980s saw a huge shift in the design world and design market. Memphis Milano was a big deal in the furniture industry at the time ...not so much because of its design style, but by reinvigorating an increasingly banal international furniture market. Many of today's big-name designers owe their success and freedom of creativity to the famous designers who made up Memphis Milano.


Karl Lagerfeld furnished his Monte Carlo apartment with Memphis in 1981

Both rooms are terrible imo.
post #92 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
HA ha -- well, you guys obviously are not familiar with Memphis Milano. it was an international design group in the early '80s based in Milan. They played a big part in transforming the formulaic furniture designs being produced in Italy (and around the world) by the late 1970s. They purposefully subverted the norms of form, function, and "good taste". The 1980s saw a huge shift in the design world and design market. Memphis Milano was a big deal in the furniture industry at the time ...not so much because of its design style, but by reinvigorating an increasingly banal international furniture market. Many of today's big-name designers owe their success and freedom of creativity to the famous designers who made up Memphis Milano.
So, big name designers said, " Wow, we can't make anything this fucking hideous if we tried, so whatever we do create is going to be the fucking bees knees for sure!"
post #93 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbreakable View Post
So, big name designers said, " Wow, we can't make anything this fucking hideous if we tried, so whatever we do create is going to be the fucking bees knees for sure!"

Forgive me, but that is ridiculous!


The leader of the Memphis group was Ettore Sottsass, who was one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. He introduced 'humanism' to industrial design ...through the use of colour and shape.

Designed by Ettore Sottsass.






post #94 of 95
I love some of what Sottsass and others have done with Alessi, but I think too much of it in the same room (a la your first picture) is appalling.
post #95 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
Forgive me, but that is ridiculous! The leader of the Memphis group was Ettore Sottsass, who was one of the most influential designers of the 20th century. He introduced 'humanism' to industrial design ...through the use of colour and shape. Designed by Ettore Sottsass.
Must have been a sale on those paint colors.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › the most awesome room I have ever seen