or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brands you won't buy because of counterfeits?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brands you won't buy because of counterfeits? - Page 3

post #31 of 50
Hermes, Vuitton, Montblanc to name a few ...
post #32 of 50
Polo is definitely a nono.
post #33 of 50
Anything made in China.
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsayno View Post

paul smith

Definitely, along with Burberry, Armani, LV, Gucci, Prada, Versace, Abercrombie, Ralph Lauren, Apple, Zegna, Evisu, Rolex, Coach, Hermes, Dunhill, D&G and CK. Although where I am it's a forgone conclusion that they're all counterfeits and knock-offs. But as long as the price is good and the quality seems to be OK, no one really cares.

There's an old peasant who potters about the local neighbourhood on a ancient rusty tricycle, scavenging bins and rubbish. He was wearing a 'Paul Smith, London' shirt during the summer.
Edited by MikeDT - 11/6/11 at 2:48am
post #35 of 50
There isn't much out there that isn't faked.

In terms of buying new clothes, I usually buy from Saks, Nordstrom, and other stores within the mall. I'm sure there are fakes at the Nordstrom, but what can you do?

From EBAY/thrift situations, I figure the more obvious the item (i.e., the more logos it has) the lesser the chances of its being real.
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz View Post

There isn't much out there that isn't faked.
In terms of buying new clothes, I usually buy from Saks, Nordstrom, and other stores within the mall. I'm sure there are fakes at the Nordstrom, but what can you do?

There shouldn't be fakes at Nordstrom, an upscale NYC department store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz View Post

From EBAY/thrift situations, I figure the more obvious the item (i.e., the more logos it has) the lesser the chances of its being real.

I think that's what it's down to, anything that shows an obvious designer lux brand. The distinctive LV logo, Chanel's interlocking Cs, Versace's medusa head, Ralph Lauren's polo pony, Burberry's charging knight, etc.
427
..the charging knight logo seems to be OK, although with this particular garment they seem to have forgotten how to spell 'Burberry'.

There have been fake Brioni suits though, which don't show an obvious logo.
post #37 of 50
@MikeDT: I'm sure there's a cult out there that loves Chinese fakes! XD

Some of the fakes you've shown us are quite humorous (sometimes I wonder if the fakers are parodying each other's work).
post #38 of 50
I'm pretty impressed by the sophistication of the Chinese counterfeiters. In addition to making a very good copy (which does come at a cost), there will be a counterfeit box w/ tissue, a fake ribbon, a knockoff paper bag, and a bogus receipt of the victimized merchant's legit shop in Hong Kong or Singapore. This receipt is spot on with the item ID and price, store address and tel number, and all other particulars.
post #39 of 50
Anything that relies on branding, logos or some unique design (like a Panerai) to convey it's worth. Otherwise, as someone pointed out earlier, the counterfeiters going to have to rely on delivering a quality product to even appear similar to the original. Which is why you don't see Brunello Cucinelli fakes flooding the markets anytime soon. smile.gif
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz View Post

@MikeDT: I'm sure there's a cult out there that loves Chinese fakes! XD

There's a website called www.engrish.com which is all about chinglish, engrish, singlish and other types of often hilarious faulty English grammar and spelling commonly found in Asia.

A Disney/Mickey Mouse toddler's t-shirt(Made in China).
446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawz View Post

Some of the fakes you've shown us are quite humorous (sometimes I wonder if the fakers are parodying each other's work).

I think what happened with the 'Bubeuly' Burberry knock-off, they sort of spelled it the way that the Chinese pronounce 'Burberry'. Thing is most people who actually buy and wear this stuff, don't even realise its wrong, as long as it looks nice and has a logo. English words and phrases are often used in glossy magazines, products and adverts, because apparently they look nicer and are more international than Chinese characters. So often they're meaningless chinglish.

Hey this is what I'm going to be sportin...
373
...turn anyone to stone, only 30 yuan(RMB) as well. HermesMan ain't got nothin' on me. smile.gif
Edited by MikeDT - 11/6/11 at 5:22am
post #41 of 50
not being cheap and just buying from the retailer solves this problem.
post #42 of 50
Here's a couple of Armani gems I spotted during lunchtime at the local mall. I'm sure Giorgio would approve of course.

Anagram.
467

Do I get a discount because of the missing 'G'?
467

EDIT:

BTW I just saw this beauty on HermesMan's 'SoHighFashion' blog.
400
...apparently this one is real though.

"besides from the belt this is my recently acquired polo t from Emporio Armani .Quality isnt that great maybe because it is Made in Turkey , but i really like the design. Great addition to my polo t collection, however I still have many more polo t that i desire." icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

http://sohighfashion.blogspot.com/
Edited by MikeDT - 11/10/11 at 11:01pm
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post

Anagram.
467
crackup[1].gif
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDT View Post
http://sohighfashion.blogspot.com/


This has got to be the best blog i have seen so far. This made my day. 

 

 

 

Quote:
dngtiger.jpg
I look alpha as hell with this tiger t-shirt

 

post #45 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedee View Post



This has got to be the best blog i have seen so far. This made my day. 

This is my all time favourite post..
"The label inside that tells Made in Italy and size . You must be thinking no I did not wear the t-shirt with the label hanging like that when i am outside, i must be hanging the label for the blog shot purposes.."
263
"Nope you are wrong i actually wear it like this all the time!"
263
He's totally priceless!! biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Brands you won't buy because of counterfeits?