• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Food Hells

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I end up eating a lot of fast food because, well, I'm hungry and it's fast.

Aside from the atrocious condition of their dining area and the general downtroddenness of the (other) patrons, I like Wendy's. They seem to have forgotten the chopped anchovy, and the dressing is undoubtedly made earlier that day if not the night before (shock! horror!) but for $0.99, their Caesar salad is pretty good and reasonably big. Their chili is also quite passable.

The range of the menu at Jack in the Box is impressive (though undoubtedly confusing for an unsophisto hick). I have never been introduced to the waitstaff, but their DYMO labeler printed nametags are relatively unobtrusive and can be ignored if one tries.

Anyone else forced to deign/stoop/descend as I am? Where are your favorite places?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Wendy's as well. Back when I had one near my apartment, I used to make a meal out of a small salad (with blue cheese dressing), chili, and chicken strips.

I love Popeye's fried chicken. I would sooner give up hamburgers and hot dogs than fried chicken. I have been able to resist the urge to go there for several months.

Jerry's Sub Shops (regional franchise?) is awfully good for cheesesteaks.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Agree with Wendy's. You guys eat salads, I eat fries dipped in Frosty. I call that a win
biggrin.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am/was a fast food nut in general prior to cutting out beef but

waiting in the streets on a rainy or muggy day for the stench of stinky tofu
burning in the sun for a good street-side burrito or dog
having no place to hold one's pint in a packed pub

can be just as good.

tangerine

Reaction score
Jamba Juice! You can pretend it is health food, and it is full of sugar.

Otherwise, there's nothing faster than the hot dog cart.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can get some wheatgrass juice with your five hundred calorie razzmatazz.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wendy's is indeed decent.

Major shout out to Los Betos though! Damn good mexican fast food, carne asada burritos the size of artillery shells with decadent guacamole. Quiznos and Subway are decent, too.

Must also mention all these little "roach coaches" around Tucson, especially the Mexican hotdogs. Almost as good as the hotdogs I had in Guaymas. Guacamole, beans, sour cream, onions. Woah. Heart attack central
biggrin.gif

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Thanks for using an old term. I really only go back to the late 1950's memory-wise, but the early fast food places were White Castle (NY area), Royal Castle (we had some in NO) and Krystal. The last still exists; do the others? Were there any other places back then?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennethpollock
Thanks for using an old term. I really only go back to the late 1950's memory-wise, but the early fast food places were White Castle (NY area), Royal Castle (we had some in NO) and Krystal. The last still exists; do the others? Were there any other places back then?
I'm pretty sure White Castle is still around. At least it was when Harold and Kumar went there in that movie a couple years back.

BTW, Dairy Queen is another great one around here. Don't know how far those go. A lot of the ones you guys mention aren't around here. And we keep getting ads for Sonic on our TV even though there are no Sonics out here at all that I know of.

jay allen

Reaction score
Wendy's is the death burger of choice for me. At least it isn't microwaved to the point that it sets the take out bag on fire.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't touched fast food other than In-n-Out isnce '96. One day I just could not go in to a McDonald's and never tried again. I never ate it much, but two cheeseburgers and fries was something I would go in for three or four times a year.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jay allen
Wendy's is the death burger of choice for me. At least it isn't microwaved to the point that it sets the take out bag on fire.

Jay - does McDonald's still do the lobster roll up in Maine from time to time? This always cracked me up when I lived there. As far as I can tell, Maine is the only place where McDonald's did this. Did they think Mainers were sitting around thinking, "Thank goodness for McDonald's - now I can finally get a good lobster roll." I can't even imagine that the tourists would go to McDonald's in search of authentic Maine lobster.

I've got to say that I've always been a fan of the BK Whopper. Wendy's burgers are good, too. For some reason, McDonald's always makes me feel horrible about 1/2 hour after I eat it.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JBZ said:
Jay - does McDonald's still do the lobster roll up in Maine from time to time? This always cracked me up when I lived there. As far as I can tell, Maine is the only place where McDonald's did this. Did they think Mainers were sitting around thinking, "Thank goodness for McDonald's - now I can finally get a good lobster roll." I can't even imagine that the tourists would go to McDonald's in search of authentic Maine lobster.

QUOTE]

I have this vague recollection of seeing lobster sandwiches advertised at McDonald's in the province of Quebec.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
+1 on Wendys. I only go to fast food that has a somewhat extensive $1 menu because I feel that that is the price range fast food is meant to be experienced in. **** paying $3-5 for a fast food burger when it's the same **** as a $1 burger with more unnecessaries like extra lettuce, tomatoes, rancid bacon etc.

I also like Weinershnitzel. They used to have a $3 'combo' with a chili cheese dog, chili burger, and chili fries. Then I get a couple corn dogs on top of that. Excellent gourmet experience.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For burgers, its BK's Whoppers all the way (in fact, I am about to go get one for lunch; WHOPPER WEDNESDAYS!).

Wendy's i like the Spicy Chicken sandwich, and their salads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads