or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Wine Glasses
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wine Glasses - Page 5

post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Those who are engineers do. I also prefer the feel to a bulbous rolled edge.

~ H

Add me to the list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer View Post
If you don't require four reds and four whites (such as with the Reidel Target set), you can buy glasses individually at World Market for ~$10 each. Completely adequate.

This is SF. When is anything ever adequate?
post #62 of 73
I'm planning on purchasing a set of four each of the Vinum sauvignon blanc and burgundy glasses, because the most common white and red wines I drink are sauvignon blanc and pinot noir, respectively. Am I correct to assume that I would do no great offense to a cabernet sauvignon to consume it from a burgundy glass, or to a chardonnay from a sauvignon blanc glass? Thanks, H_S.
post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins_student View Post
I'm planning on purchasing a set of four each of the Vinum sauvignon blanc and burgundy glasses, because the most common white and red wines I drink are sauvignon blanc and pinot noir, respectively. Am I correct to assume that I would do no great offense to a cabernet sauvignon to consume it from a burgundy glass, or to a chardonnay from a sauvignon blanc glass? Thanks, H_S.

No great offense. I've consumed out of the more specialized ones before, and have even sat at the same table with someone not drinking out of the "correct" glass, and traded them glasses and then we each tried each other's. While the difference is certainly there, and you can tell, it is not hugely noticeable. A good wine will still taste good. And a good cab sauv is going to taste good in a burgundy glass. You just might not be able to taste every little nuance in the wine. But it shouldn't make any drastic changes in your enjoyment.
post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins_student View Post
I'm planning on purchasing a set of four each of the Vinum sauvignon blanc and burgundy glasses, because the most common white and red wines I drink are sauvignon blanc and pinot noir, respectively. Am I correct to assume that I would do no great offense to a cabernet sauvignon to consume it from a burgundy glass, or to a chardonnay from a sauvignon blanc glass? Thanks, H_S.

We do the same for groups any larger than four. Different glasses, because we drink different wines, but same concept. FWIW, somebody, I think Matt Kramer, did some tests on the glasses, and I believe the Syrah glass was the one which was most compatible with all reds. Don't remember for whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
No great offense. I've consumed out of the more specialized ones before, and have even sat at the same table with someone not drinking out of the "correct" glass, and traded them glasses and then we each tried each other's. While the difference is certainly there, and you can tell, it is not hugely noticeable. A good wine will still taste good. And a good cab sauv is going to taste good in a burgundy glass. You just might not be able to taste every little nuance in the wine. But it shouldn't make any drastic changes in your enjoyment.

I agree. Also, most of the time when we drink, we are not seriously tasting, so it ends up mattering even less than it seems like it would when we test these things out. Clean glasses without soap deposits and in vaguely the right shape is as much as you have any right to expect IMO.
post #65 of 73
I bought Spiegelau Authentis 6 white and 6 Cab glasses, and haven't had to buy any more. I could foresee wanting some big bordeauxs but I'm not there yet. If you are a really avid drinker who enjoys expensive wines, I can see where starting with Riedel would be worth the expense, especially in comparison to the cost of the wine. Otherwise, just enjoy.

Also, the more you enjoy wine with friends at your home, the more you should be prepared that the glasses will be broken. If you can't stand that your buddy drops a $150 glass into the sink, buy something cheaper. Because it will happen
post #66 of 73
A while back I picked up a 24 pack of Spieglau Vino Grande. It has 6 each of the Bordeaux, Burgundy, white wine and champagne flutes. At Beverage Factory, they have this pack for $180, which gets it down to $7.50 per stem.

They are machine washable and cover about every need I have for wine glasses. Really like them and how durable they are. If I break one (I haven't yet) I won't feel too bad about it. I recommend.
post #67 of 73
That's a great deal, Mark. If I had room for more stems, I'd grab it.
post #68 of 73
Pretty good basics-- at the price, very good.

I'm stocking a summer house and thinking about getting a set of basic reds and whites from one of the Tritan lines. Something rather appeals about having a less breakable (and less scuff-able) glass, and there are several of that brand that aren't too expensive.
post #69 of 73
Hi Gents,
Didn't think this warrented a new thread. Saw this on the WSJ house of the day and it gave me an idea for my folks' new house - to have some glasses, mugs, tissue boxes, & towels made with the house number embellished as a housewarming gift.
Any recommendations on where to kop on the webz? Not a big fan of those plastic cups as we mainly use glass.
Thanks!
post #70 of 73
^kinda kitschy imo

just get them nice wine glasses


dude that article you posted is about the house of a lady from real houswives of nyc
post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

dude that article you posted is about the house of a lady from real houswives of nyc

don't judge brah, thought they'd be a neat personlized touch. Dad is a total wine-o & already has a pretty extensive selection of wine glasses.
post #72 of 73
I buy only antique or depression era, etched stemware. I consider modern stemware of poor quality and form. I highly recommend to anyone looking for good stemware to look into 19 century wine or champagne glasses and train your taste a little.
post #73 of 73

We'd love some photos.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Wine Glasses