or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Where can one buy a double breasted suit anymore??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where can one buy a double breasted suit anymore??

post #1 of 66
Thread Starter 
I'm new here, but have enjoyed the helpful threads here for awhile. I happen to be a big fan of double breasted suits (and they always seem to work for me). The problem is they've gotten increasingly hard to find....to the point that they're absolutely nowhere anymore. I understand things going out of fashion -- but this is a complete extreme! I realize one can find used suites (ebay, etc.), but I've had bad experiences with that and I'd really like a new one. (also, custom made isn't an option for me). If anyone has any suggestions of stores, etc. that I might try looking for a solid black double breasted suit, it would be much appreciated. (of course, I realize it's a gamble whether it will even fit me well -- though it's worth the shot!) Thanks! My only requirement is solid black. (I found a current Armani DB, though it's pinstripe). Mine are starting to get shiny from too much drying cleaning over the years (before I knew better)
post #2 of 66
actually theyre making a comeback,i was in europe in june and they are everywhere and north america is usually a year behind,so just wait till spring.
ps did you see the Tito Ortiz at the weigh in today,guess what hes wearing,yup a double breasted
LL
post #3 of 66
Thread Starter 
ooh, that's really nice to hear!!! So, there's still hope. It seems they keep saying the double breasted is due back, though it never quite happens--- maybe this time it will! True that north america is always behind, so that's great new if they're back in Europe. I may have to hold out until Spring... I didn't see Tito Ortiz's suit today. Thanks for the pic -- cool!
post #4 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack12345 View Post
I realize one can find used suites (ebay, etc.), but I've had bad experiences with that and I'd really like a new one. (also, custom made isn't an option for me).

I have had the opposite experience. I don't think there's much difference between a used suit and a new one. Except the price difference, which is phenomenal.

I think new RTW suits are for suckers, unless bought at a deep DEEP discount.

Stuart
post #5 of 66
Don't know about solid black, but I just bought an Oxxford DB from lance @ virtualclotheshorse.com.
post #6 of 66
There are DB suits all over ebay. Some pretty nice ones, actually.
post #7 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunt View Post
Don't know about solid black, but I just bought an Oxxford DB from lance @ virtualclotheshorse.com.

Thanks for the store recommendation. I just took a look. It seems the only dark DB they have are with pin stripes,unfortunately.
post #8 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
I have had the opposite experience. I don't think there's much difference between a used suit and a new one. Except the price difference, which is phenomenal.

I think new RTW suits are for suckers, unless bought at a deep DEEP discount.

Stuart

Yeah, I realize it's a pretty common thing to do, and most people are happy with it. The one I got was more worn than they claimed and never looked quite right. I suppose it might be worth looking again (maybe to tie me over until the inevitable DB return!)
post #9 of 66
except theres a twist on the new DB in europe,they are tapered/fitted kinda like Ralphie boy here is sporting it
LL
post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject View Post
except theres a twist on the new DB in europe,they are tapered/fitted kinda like Ralphie boy here is sporting it

I wouldn't call it a "twist" exactly. A well-tailored double-breasted jacket is nothing new at all.
post #11 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject View Post
actually theyre making a comeback,i was in europe in june and they are everywhere and north america is usually a year behind,so just wait till spring.
ps did you see the Tito Ortiz at the weigh in today,guess what hes wearing,yup a double breasted

Yeah and he looks GREAT. I can see why someone would want one of these. It's so slimming and timeless.
post #12 of 66
Black? No.

Black suits are not allowed, I am afraid.
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject View Post
actually theyre making a comeback,i was in europe in june and they are everywhere and north america is usually a year behind,so just wait till spring.
ps did you see the Tito Ortiz at the weigh in today,guess what hes wearing,yup a double breasted

In Europe, they never went out of style. Almost all the Italians I know wear DB suits more than SB and always have.
post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject View Post
except theres a twist on the new DB in europe,they are tapered/fitted kinda like Ralphie boy here is sporting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat View Post
I wouldn't call it a "twist" exactly. A well-tailored double-breasted jacket is nothing new at all.

This is NOT what I would call a well-tailored DB!
post #15 of 66
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetofivereject View Post
except theres a twist on the new DB in europe,they are tapered/fitted kinda like Ralphie boy here is sporting it
I kind of like that. It's less boxy but could be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC View Post
In Europe, they never went out of style. Almost all the Italians I know wear DB suits more than SB and always have.
Really, that's news to me. That's kind of discouraging actually, as it means it still may never come here. If they really are still popular there, then why is it almost impossible to find here, even from the major Italian designers?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Where can one buy a double breasted suit anymore??