• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ed Hardy hate explained

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well written

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Here is one theory of why Ed Hardy clothes are hated so much more than seemingly anything else.

http://www.corrupt.org/news/thats_one_strong_signal

It doesn't really explain why Ed Hardy is hated so much more than, say, Affliction shirts, so I don't really buy it.

I don't entirely understand the point this article is trying to make, but understand it enough to know this guy really doesn't hit the nail on the head. Also, the style of writing on this blog is annoying, and undisguised elitism from self-proclaimed progressives is disgusting.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Ed Hardy actually expensive?

It never struck me as such. Adhering to his logic, old Versace would be a better fit since it's unabashedly Baroque in a tacky way.

superfans124

Reaction score
Just read an GQ article on the guy who brought Ed Hardy brand to surface, Christian Audigier and his brand, mildly interesting. Then the article reveals he's the same person who brought the marsupialedly-expensive marsupialedly-looking trucker hat to fame, INTRIGUING. The most shocking part though, is that the guy is actually a Franch guy, real Franch guy. I didn't know Franch were capable of such horrendities, now I know.

celticgent

Reaction score
My issue isn't so much about the clothing itself (albeit it's quite gaudy and ugly) it's about Ed Hardy.

I have been into tattoos since I was a boy and I have been a fan of Don Ed Hardy's tattoos since I first started reading about him in tattoo magazines in the late 80s.

I can't be angry with him for selling out, simply because I'm sure I'd take the money and run too,
but...

I just hate seeing his name attached to the glitzty, gaudy crap.

The whoring of the Von Dutch name was much more disgusting to me, simply because he is long dead and didn't have the choice to have his name plastered on dipshits who have NO idea who he was.

At least Ed Hardy can laugh knowing that 99% of the douchebags wearing his name wouldn't recognize him if they tripped over him.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The man is trying to explain the existence of graphic tattoo designs on clothes by drawing a parallel with the architecture of gypsies. It is an apt comparison, as both have absolutely no concept of taste and are widely regarded as douchebags who in the former case, promote seedy night 'events' and in the latter, hordes of child thieves.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Is Ed Hardy actually expensive?

It never struck me as such. Adhering to his logic, old Versace would be a better fit since it's unabashedly Baroque in a tacky way.

I think Ed Hardy is relatively expensive for those who buy it. The author is claiming that it's a working class phenomenon, so while a $140 hoodie might not be that expensive for an upper middle class SF poster, it's fairly expensive for a lot of groups out there.

I think his logic would explain a decent chunk about old Versace. I think it was worn in a similar way by some groups, though it might have been a bit too expensive for anyone who would deign to consider themselves working class.

Personally, I think the blog author is a bit off with his class groupings, but as he's not from the US (where I am), I can't say that his observations don't hold true for where he is.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celticgent
My issue isn't so much about the clothing itself (albeit it's quite gaudy and ugly) it's about Ed Hardy.

I have been into tattoos since I was a boy and I have been a fan of Don Ed Hardy's tattoos since I first started reading about him in tattoo magazines in the late 80s.

I can't be angry with him for selling out, simply because I'm sure I'd take the money and run too,
but...

I just hate seeing his name attached to the glitzty, gaudy crap.

The whoring of the Von Dutch name was much more disgusting to me, simply because he is long dead and didn't have the choice to have his name plastered on dipshits who have NO idea who he was.

At least Ed Hardy can laugh knowing that 99% of the douchebags wearing his name wouldn't recognize him if they tripped over him.

^ Don't forget the incredible Sailor Jerry and the silly garbage his antecedents spawned in his name after his death. Sadly, that barbarity originated in my home town, of all places.

Oh, and being highly respectful of the history of, and having many 'old-school' tattoos, don't even get me started on this 'tat' ressurection for those too trendy and chickenshit to actually get inked. Or know their history of maritime tradition.

It reeks of the same deperate need to associate with a group without any risk that the whole Harley/chopper motorcycle weekend warrior club set created a few years back.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My issue isn't so much about the clothing itself (albeit it's quite gaudy and ugly) it's about Ed Hardy. I have been into tattoos since I was a boy and I have been a fan of Don Ed Hardy's tattoos since I first started reading about him in tattoo magazines in the late 80s. I can't be angry with him for selling out, simply because I'm sure I'd take the money and run too, but... I just hate seeing his name attached to the glitzty, gaudy crap. The whoring of the Von Dutch name was much more disgusting to me, simply because he is long dead and didn't have the choice to have his name plastered on dipshits who have NO idea who he was. At least Ed Hardy can laugh knowing that 99% of the douchebags wearing his name wouldn't recognize him if they tripped over him.
+1 I had the pleasure to meet and talk with Ed Hardy in the mid 90s when I started tattooing and he was such a great guy (and still is I'm sure) that it's irksome to see his name on the penultimate douchebag brand of clothes. But he's laughing to the bank so can't fault him for wanting financial security at his age. Von Dutch actually used to be a legit brand for guys into kustom kulture and even made a seriously good pair of Japanese selvedge jeans a long time ago. What's ironic is that his brand became popular with the people that Kenny Howard did not like and you know he is trying to dig his way out of the ground. I remember when Paris Hilton (?) was asked about Von Dutch when it was uber popular and she said he was a "Dutch designer"
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

celticgent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
^ Don't forget the incredible Sailor Jerry and the silly garbage his antecedents spawned in his name after his death. Sadly, that barbarity originated in my home town, of all places.

Oh, and being highly respectful of the history of, and having many 'old-school' tattoos, don't even get me started on this 'tat' ressurection for those too trendy and chickenshit to actually get inked. Or know their history of maritime tradition.

It reeks of the same deperate need to associate with a group without any risk that the whole Harley/chopper motorcycle weekend warrior club set created a few years back.

In my opinion, at least the Sailor Jerry products are something that look almost authentic. I don't know a whole lot about the products, but the few that I've seen were basic t-shirts etc. that had his artwork screenprinted on it...whereas the Ed Hardy stuff looked like somebody ate his studio book, some dayglo paint, glitter and rhinestones and **** out whiteboy gangsta gear. The Sailor Jerry seemed more retro workwear with Jerry's tattoos printed on them, although I'm no expert.

celticgent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
+1

I had the pleasure to meet and talk with Ed Hardy in the mid 90s when I started tattooing and he was such a great guy (and still is I'm sure) that it's irksome to see his name on the penultimate douchebag brand of clothes. But he's laughing to the bank so can't fault him for wanting financial security at his age.

Von Dutch actually used to be a legit brand for guys into kustom kulture and even made a seriously good pair of Japanese selvedge jeans a long time ago. What's ironic is that his brand became popular with the people that Kenny Howard did not like and you know he is trying to dig his way out of the ground. I remember when Paris Hilton (?) was asked about Von Dutch when it was uber popular and she said he was a "Dutch designer"
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I remember quite a few years ago when I saw a Von Dutch logo on someone and I tried to talk to them about Hot Rods...they looked at me like I had 3 heads. I first became aware of him from old hot rod magazines from the 60s that my uncle gave me when I was a kid. I used to love seeing his pinstripe stuff and the Big Daddy Roth stuff always blew me away!

Anywho, fast forward a couple decades and I then found out that Von Dutch was now something entirely different...
facepalm.gif

Although, to be fair,

I'm sure my grandfather would have scoffed at me wearing his old flannel shirts in the late 80s whilst skateboarding...the same way I scoff at the kids now thinking chucks are high fashion when we skaters used to be picked on for wearing those "poorboy" sneakers instead of Air Jordans.
lol8[1].gif

Little did I know that my non-fashion would BECOME fashion with the grunge movement and now the retro -grunge movement....

circles, baby.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, at least the Sailor Jerry products are something that look almost authentic. I don't know a whole lot about the products, but the few that I've seen were basic t-shirts etc. that had his artwork screenprinted on it...whereas the Ed Hardy stuff looked like somebody ate his studio book, some dayglo paint, glitter and rhinestones and **** out whiteboy gangsta gear. The Sailor Jerry seemed more retro workwear with Jerry's tattoos printed on them, although I'm no expert.

Good point. 'Tis true, especially when I take the time to get past my knee-jerk reaction.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see this for, say, Affliction, which is very attached to MMA, a sport a lot of people equate with the working class. That would be your typical Nascar hate. However, Ed Hardy is primarily worn by middle class college kids, so I don't think that the explanation holds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads