or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is this Valextra wallet a suitable coat wallet?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this Valextra wallet a suitable coat wallet?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm currently looking for a good coat wallet and I stumbled onto this beauty from Valextra. My girlfriend seems to think it mirrors a female wallet. What do you guys think?

http://www.barneys.com/12%20Credit%2...efault,pd.html
post #2 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshinex View Post
I'm currently looking for a good coat wallet and I stumbled onto this beauty from Valextra. My girlfriend seems to think it mirrors a female wallet. What do you guys think?

http://www.barneys.com/12%20Credit%2...efault,pd.html

That is more or less the same dimensions as the wallet I carry. Mine has seven credit card pockets on one side and full length gusseted pocket on the other.
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
My only fear is that the extra side for CC and 3 other gusset will make it too thick for a coat wallet.
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshinex View Post
My only fear is that the extra side for CC and 3 other gusset will make it too thick for a coat wallet.
I don't think so, but it depends on how much you stuff into the gusset pockets. The full length pockets on your version don't have gussets and probably limit how much you can put in them - they look like flat cash pockets. This is mine: It replaced a similar sized one from the old Coach that I liked better, though this has a better pocket layout.
post #5 of 19
I like it a lot. It should work fine in a breast pocket.
post #6 of 19
Looks fine to me.
post #7 of 19
It looks nice, not "female." However I'd look for something a bit cheaper and use the savings to treat the girlfriend to dinner...

EZ
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME View Post
It looks nice, not "female." However I'd look for something a bit cheaper and use the savings on hookers and blow

EZ

fix'd
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguydude View Post
fix'd

That works too.

EZ
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
It replaced a similar sized one from the old Coach that I liked better, though this has a better pocket layout.
Sorry to threadjack, but could you elaborate on this a bit? Did they go through some major change a few years ago? I've noticed they have been focusing more and more on flashy women's purses and less on men's products and actual luggage. I also think their products have decreased in quality in the last 5 years or so. I had a wallet from about 5 years ago that I thought was great, but lately their stuff is meh.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator View Post
Sorry to threadjack, but could you elaborate on this a bit? Did they go through some major change a few years ago? I've noticed they have been focusing more and more on flashy women's purses and less on men's products and actual luggage. I also think their products have decreased in quality in the last 5 years or so. I had a wallet from about 5 years ago that I thought was great, but lately their stuff is meh.
Once upon a time, they were a leather goods company that had a factory in NY turning out high-quality items using very good bridle leather. Several years ago, I don't recall how long ago but at least five or six years, they switched to being a fashion brand and shut down their manufacturing facility, moving production first to Italy and then to China. That was probably about the time they went public or in advance of that. I don't know if they were first bought by a PE concern, but that would be a good, uninformed guess. They still design stuff, but they don't make it anymore. The old bags were beautifully made - especially the leather. I looked at some of the new bags and I can't see anything that would distinguish them from any other knock-off product.
post #12 of 19
Thanks, that's in line with my suspicions.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
They killed themselves in my opinion by have those stupid canvas logos.
post #14 of 19
I hate to point this out, but I think Barney's has categorized this as a ladies wallet. Click on the orange variation of the wallet and you'll note the header is "Women's / Handbags / Wallets & Accessories".
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Maybe they realized not too many men wants an orange wallet. But what do they know anyways right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Is this Valextra wallet a suitable coat wallet?