or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › world cup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

world cup - Page 17

post #241 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Very nice Italy US game, although the ref was a little heavyhanded, to say the least. He seemed to have been rattled by the lectures FIFA probably gave all the refs. I lost count of how many yellow cards he issued, and the only the Italian ejection (the elbow was pretty serious) was called for. It used to be that the red was reserved for blatantly dangerous tackles, and even then, often a yellow was enough.
while i agree the referee made many mistakes during the match, all 3 red cards were good calls. if you disagree, you don't know the rules. btw, a soccer player in a world cup would much rather take an elbow to the face than have someone slide full force into his ankles. as a runner, you should understand this.
post #242 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
while i agree the referee made many mistakes during the match, all 3 red cards were good calls. if you disagree, you don't know the rules.

I don't agree with the calls. Actually, I think that even the first call was questionable. I know the rules and understand also that the refs were instructed by FIFA in enforce the rules more forcefully in this tournamnt, but nonetheless feel that the US-Italy game was called a little harshly. BTW, if this is how the refs called some previous tournaments, teams would be playing with six or seven men aside.

Quote:
btw, a soccer player in a world cup would much rather take an elbow to the face than have someone slide full force into his ankles. as a runner, you should understand this.

Sure. However, an late tackle is much harder to call than an elbow to the face; and in previous tournaments, the red was only used when the tackle was cleats first, and the defender was clearly not going for the ball.
post #243 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
unfortunately, the cynics likely missed today's game.

for the cynics in this forum, the u.s. just tied italy 1-1 while playing almost the whole 2nd half with 9 men against italy's 10. and it was anybody's game for most of it.

This cynic actually did watch... quite impressive. But isn't the problem now that our two red cards are also out for the Ghana game - and didn't Ghana just kick the butts of the Czech Republic - who previously kicked our a$$.

I'm still not expecting the US to get out of the first round.
post #244 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford
This cynic actually did watch... quite impressive. But isn't the problem now that our two red cards are also out for the Ghana game - and didn't Ghana just kick the butts of the Czech Republic - who previously kicked our a$$.

I'm still not expecting the US to get out of the first round.

You're correct, they are out.
post #245 of 1044
The three red cards were well deserved. The Us defender was clearly late and not going for the ball but the player. The other red card was in fact a second yellow card well earned after many foul plays (in fact, poppe should have been thrown out at his first yellow, the italian player was running alone to the goal). The italian red card, I don't think it need to be discussed. Very entertaining game btw Italy vs Czech will be interesing to watch, as the loser may go back home if Ghana wins !luc !luc
post #246 of 1044
The italians had some vicious tackles after the second american red and the game official let them go. The inconsistency bothered me more than anything. I would certainly never let him near an international match again.

CZE vs ITA is prior to the USA vs Ghana match. I wonder if either the checks or the italians want to gamble on the outcome of that match.
post #247 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney
The italians had some vicious tackles after the second american red and the game official let them go. The inconsistency bothered me more than anything. I would certainly never let him near an international match again.

CZE vs ITA is prior to the USA vs Ghana match. I wonder if either the checks or the italians want to gamble on the outcome of that match.

Are you sure? Usually the last round of games kick off together to try and stop any funny business.
post #248 of 1044
It is at the same time. The schedule I originally looked at had different times. Edit: And did you see the wonderful suit on Zlatko Krancjar, the croat coach?
post #249 of 1044
Here's an interesting bit from today's NYTime's article about the US-Italy ref:

"Larrionda was barred for six months in 2002 by his country's soccer federation for unspecified "irregularities." Two days before the suspension, he had been chosen to officiate at the 2002 World Cup, which he was then forced to miss."

Hmmmm.

bob
post #250 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney
It is at the same time. The schedule I originally looked at had different times.

Edit: And did you see the wonderful suit on Zlatko Krancjar, the croat coach?

I did see the suit and thought he looked great.I was thinking of posting it myself but usually what I think is a well made,good fitting suit other members think is awful so I dont bother any more.
post #251 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by benecios
All the soccer cynics should watch this and maybe they might see the attraction with the beautiful game.
I'm more of a hater than a cynic, and think this game demonstrates exactly why soccer faces an uphill battle in gaining US fans. Playing strong and tough is the American way--run hard, throw elbows, and if you get spiked then rub some dirt on it and play through it. Pretty, fluid teams may get respect, but never the love and devotion that outright smashmouth teams get, in any sport. So what happens in the "best match this Cup has seen yet?" Between the teams, three guys get tossed and suspended for aggressive play, ref blows calls left and right, and pretty boys get carried off the field on stretchers when they scrape their knees. There was some exciting stuff, but not enough to make up for the overt lack of masculinity. I've always said soccer is a chick's game, didn't see anything that would change that.
post #252 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
I'm more of a hater than a cynic, and think this game demonstrates exactly why soccer faces an uphill battle in gaining US fans. Playing strong and tough is the American way--run hard, throw elbows, and if you get spiked then rub some dirt on it and play through it. Pretty, fluid teams may get respect, but never the love and devotion that outright smashmouth teams get, in any sport. So what happens in the "best match this Cup has seen yet?" Between the teams, three guys get tossed and suspended for aggressive play, ref blows calls left and right, and pretty boys get carried off the field on stretchers when they scrape their knees. There was some exciting stuff, but not enough to make up for the overt lack of masculinity. I've always said soccer is a chick's game, didn't see anything that would change that.

Please tell which sports exist where you "throw an elbow" leave an opponent gushing with blood and get away with it?
Throwing elbows when the opponent is dressed like some kind of Robocop doesnt count.
post #253 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I don't agree with the calls. Actually, I think that even the first call was questionable. I know the rules and understand also that the refs were instructed by FIFA in enforce the rules more forcefully in this tournamnt, but nonetheless feel that the US-Italy game was called a little harshly. BTW, if this is how the refs called some previous tournaments, teams would be playing with six or seven men aside.

no offense, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. forget about past world cups and fifa talking to the refs. those red cards were normal in any tournament or league in any country. what was abnormal was the fact that 3 players in the same game played that way. i chalk it up to nerves.

i posted in this thread at halftime saying that eddie pope already had a yellow card, was continuing to foul, and that he was going to get tossed. he commited a second foul that merited a yellow and he was rightfully tossed. i've never seen eddie pope play the way he did against italy. it's not normal for him, but he must have been very nervous.

if you don't think the italian should have been tossed, you don't know soccer at all. he was not ejected because he hit mcbride, or becuase mcbride started bleeding. the mere act of throwing an elbow, whether he hits the man or not, is cause for a red card. players get red carded for this all the time. not every game, but enough to say it's not an unusual call.

Quote:
Sure. However, an late tackle is much harder to call than an elbow to the face; and in previous tournaments, the red was only used when the tackle was cleats first, and the defender was clearly not going for the ball.
mastroenni went in cleats first, and hit the italian in the ankles, when he had zero chance at the ball. = red. if you can't see that, you need to change your prescription.

it does not matter that the italian was not injured by the play. it's the play itself which merits the card. 2" one way or the other and the italian could have had a broken ankle. that's why you can't go in like that.
post #254 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
I'm more of a hater than a cynic, and think this game demonstrates exactly why soccer faces an uphill battle in gaining US fans. Playing strong and tough is the American way--run hard, throw elbows, and if you get spiked then rub some dirt on it and play through it. Pretty, fluid teams may get respect, but never the love and devotion that outright smashmouth teams get, in any sport. So what happens in the "best match this Cup has seen yet?" Between the teams, three guys get tossed and suspended for aggressive play, ref blows calls left and right, and pretty boys get carried off the field on stretchers when they scrape their knees. There was some exciting stuff, but not enough to make up for the overt lack of masculinity. I've always said soccer is a chick's game, didn't see anything that would change that.

Well, that is what rugby is for, Tom. No body armour. That stuff is for sissies, try having some beast like the centres of the All Blacks charging at you full speed and all you have to stop yourself getting crushed is a cup. On a more serious note, the whole masculinity thing may be a cultural thing. The whole point behind the game is fluidity and skill not brute force. If that were the case you would just get some big slow guys to out muscle each other from teh ball.
I disagree that it was a good game. Eventful yes, good game not under any circumstances.
post #255 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Here's an interesting bit from today's NYTime's article about the US-Italy ref:

"Larrionda was barred for six months in 2002 by his country's soccer federation for unspecified "irregularities." Two days before the suspension, he had been chosen to officiate at the 2002 World Cup, which he was then forced to miss."

Hmmmm.

bob

if you care about u.s. soccer you should stop complaining about the ref. he gave the u.s. a couple of breaks too.

the u.s. lost because they were too nervous. even the coach was nervous. eddie pope should have been replaced at halftime. beasley should not have been put in the game. the coach ahd previously stated that beasley was not playing well and he didn't plant to use him in this match. beasley ended up being the man offside when the u.s. scored their second goal. mastroenni's foul was a bonehead move, and still, they tied them with 9 guys. i really wanted the u.s. to win, but they messed up. it was theirs to win. deal with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › world cup