or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › world cup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

world cup - Page 11

post #151 of 1044
Czech has a solid squad, but seriously, that was just pathetic. The US will never be a serious contender until they make youth clubs more democratic and it's less of a circle jerk for America's sport for the "privileged". Honestly, it's just infuriating (read: disgusting).

*EDIT*: I decided to elaborate. Let me lay out what is wrong with American soccer:

1) Again, somehow the world's sport has turned into a sport for America's privileged. Club fees are enormous unless you're playing at the top tier, and most schools will not have you unless you're playing for a premier club. This is a shame as a lot of the lower-income immigrant kids have some great talent. The tournaments are also expensive and there is absolutely no funding within the system. Unless mommy and daddy front the fee you're not playing for a prestigous youth club.

2) It's a huge circle-jerk. The MLS teams are extremely lazy with scouting so unless you are an astounding prodigy, someone's pet project or a school player you're screwed. I played for VA's u-19 team in the Olympic Development program my freshman and sophomore years of highschool. We had an awesome team and I was probably the best set kicker in the state. However a highschool coach made me choose between ODP and highschool ball. I played school ball my freshman year, then chose ODP because I didn't like the politics behind school ball. Then I realized I didn't have a chance in hell of getting looked at exclusively through the program, thus I chose to go back to school ball my junior year of highschool. The coach convinced me all was well but had a chip on his shoulder and benched me. I quit and that ended my career. Not a pity party, just an example of how the system works. Unless you're a superstar, nobody is going to look at you unless you play school. And then, a college won't look at you unless your school is making headlines. A mediocre player from my area is a reserve for D.C. United now because he came up from a successful school and got a scholarship to WVU. Just an example of how you need to work in this elitist little system.

3)In line with both those topics, race is unfortunately a huge, huge factor. When I played NCSL (the basic regional league most highschool players operate in and college players come from), the best players I played were Mexican and Latin American. These same kids got turned down for the state team because of their background. Same with the area schools. If they're going to give a spot to a white kid with money or a lower income immigrant kid, they'll choose the white kid every single time (I'm white, by the way). It's amazing how you can just wash talent down the drain. And this is not an overstatement. I've been there and seen it all.

I'm just trying to give some method to the madness. It's not that us Americans don't have talent, it's just the system we're operating in. We need more money funneled into the soccer clubs and MLS...um...yeah, it's MLS. No player is going to be prepared for the world stage participating in the MLS. We need a couple FIFA-endorsed club teams stateside. But alas, I can dream...

Sorry for the rant, that game just got the juices 'a flowin'.
post #152 of 1044
Well, I don't think there's any player in the world who can match Reyna's ability to back-tap. The day he hangs up the cleats cannot come too soon.

The US attack was disgusting. Too much standing around and not enough attacking with the ball. I know Arena loves him, but Reyna has no place on the pitch beyond the backline.

And Nedved, what a fine display of skill. All credit to the Checks for taking it to a team afraid of its own shadow. With the 3-0 result, the US is going to need multi-goal victories over ghana and the italians to have a prayer of finishing second.

Realistically, with italy picking up a 2-0 victory, we're coming home after the first round.

And to return to another point, it's very clear that we miss Sanneh in the back organizing the defense and Earnie Stewart sacrificing his body to push the attack on the front end.

America is not this bad, but if you're unwilling to run in attack and defense, you deserve everything you get. Disgusting.
post #153 of 1044
I still say the Dutch will win it all. They have the best kit.

post #154 of 1044
Could someone explain to me why the Trinidad guy got red carded? Did he talk back or something? His "foul" wasn't that egregious and the victim came back a couple minutes later anyway... I thought that call was bunk, unless there was something I didn't see.
post #155 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Well, I don't think there's any player in the world who can match Reyna's ability to back-tap. The day he hangs up the cleats cannot come too soon.

The US attack was disgusting. Too much standing around and not enough attacking with the ball. I know Arena loves him, but Reyna has no place on the pitch beyond the backline.

And Nedved, what a fine display of skill. All credit to the Checks for taking it to a team afraid of its own shadow. With the 3-0 result, the US is going to need multi-goal victories over ghana and the italians to have a prayer of finishing second.

Realistically, with italy picking up a 2-0 victory, we're coming home after the first round.

And to return to another point, it's very clear that we miss Sanneh in the back organizing the defense and Earnie Stewart sacrificing his body to push the attack on the front end.

America is not this bad, but if you're unwilling to run in attack and defense, you deserve everything you get. Disgusting.

Yeah, in his defense Reyna's shot was very well struck. Unlucky.
post #156 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j
Could someone explain to me why the Trinidad guy got red carded? Did he talk back or something? His "foul" wasn't that egregious and the victim came back a couple minutes later anyway... I thought that call was bunk, unless there was something I didn't see.

he dove in for the ball cleats first, which is dangerous play, and warrants a card whether you hit the player or not. quite a few promising careers have been ended by defenders wrecklessly diving in cleats first.
post #157 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
he dove in for the ball cleats first, which is dangerous play, and warrants a card whether you hit the player or not. quite a few promising careers have been ended by defenders wrecklessly diving in cleats first.

Isn't this a mens sport? I could have sworn that it was...





Just kidding.
post #158 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
He actually lifted his back foot. Absolutely tight call and un-needed. Sheesh, let it go ref.

Fussy is a good word for it. There's nothing worse than a ref who won't let the game flow.

b
i disagree with you and waldo on this. the letter of the law needs to be followed. if a certain rule does not need to be enforced, it should be removed from the rule book.

the reason for this, is that when we allow refs to pick and choose which rules they will enforce and when, it opens up the door to cheating, or the perception of it.

look at what's happening in the italian league.
post #159 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Isn't this a mens sport? I could have sworn that it was...





Just kidding.

there's a misconception that the refs call fouls for "hard" tackles. it's quite the contrary. you're supposed to go in hard, but with proper technique.
post #160 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i disagree with you and waldo on this. the letter of the law needs to be followed. if a certain rule does not need to be enforced, it should be removed from the rule book.

the reason for this, is that when we allow refs to pick and choose which rules they will enforce and when, it opens up the door to cheating, or the perception of it.

look at what's happening in the italian league.

I agree with you on this. However, in this case, it was simply very very close; a case of did the ball leave his hands first or did the foot lift first.

I agree that all rules should be followed and if one is broken it should be called. But there is a point of being pedantic.

b
post #161 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Well, I don't think there's any player in the world who can match Reyna's ability to back-tap. The day he hangs up the cleats cannot come too soon.

The US attack was disgusting. Too much standing around and not enough attacking with the ball. I know Arena loves him, but Reyna has no place on the pitch beyond the backline.

If you reverse these paragraphs I think one explains the other. No one in the front was making enough of an effort to get clear. So Reyna gets trapped in the middle with no one to distribut to and all he can do is pass back in the hopes of trying it again.



Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney
And to return to another point, it's very clear that we miss Sanneh in the back organizing the defense and Earnie Stewart sacrificing his body to push the attack on the front end.

I expected Pope to play the role of experienced leader back there but I guess he didn't. Gooch showed his inexperience. I bet John O'Brien starts the next match.


Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney
America is not this bad, but if you're unwilling to run in attack and defense, you deserve everything you get. Disgusting.

Agreed.

b
post #162 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I agree with you on this. However, in this case, it was simply very very close; a case of did the ball leave his hands first or did the foot lift first.

I agree that all rules should be followed and if one is broken it should be called. But there is a point of being pedantic.

b

i didn't see the england match, but you know what i'm saying.

i didn't see the u.s. match either, so no comment.
post #163 of 1044
Back on referees again I'm afraid.I currently watching France-Switzerland,not the best performance by France,and the refs top pocket is like a toaster.Cards popping out everywhere.
Its no surprise to learn his day job is a schoolmaster.
post #164 of 1044
I wasn't all that impressed by Brazil today. I think Croatia had the better team today except in one very important way--they kept leaving Brazil's strikers alone at the top of the box which led to Kaka's goal. Other than that, Croatia looked good.

I don't see Ronaldinho play often but he looked a little like a primadona today. It's what I think of as a Michael Jordan syndrome. You may truly be the best, but the whole world acts like you are untouchable in the sense that if you go down it must have been a foul, if you complain about being fouled then everyone starts to ask "oh, are we not protecting our strikers enough with our referring?" etc. I'm the best so if I'm not performing it must be because someone else is hurting me. Ehh, maybe you just had a bad game. Others that see him play more often than I know more I'm sure.

bob
post #165 of 1044
Ronaldinho has always been a prissy little showoff ball hog. I literally HATE his style of play. If he spent half as much time looking for an opening to pass as he does playing footsie with the ball trying to get it by someone, IMO, his team would be unstoppable. He doesn't get free in open space all that much, and when he's marked by a good defender he tries to juke them, gets stuffed, and falls down looking for a penalty every time he gets the ball. Fortunately for the other teams in the world, he is a selfish, flamboyant, flopping, primadonna. If Brazil wins because of him, it would be an accident. He's also ugly and looks like a fish with downs syndrome. Later I might even tell you how I REALLY feel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › world cup