or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › world cup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

world cup - Page 2

post #16 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Less important than who wins, to me is the fact that this will be the first world cup I will watch on HD on my 60" screen. Even Argentina losing will look fantastically clear and sharp.

Jon.

LOL!
post #17 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Certainly not routing for Italy...

Germany, perhaps. I'll be watching France, of course. So tired of Brazil.

Why so down on Italy? While missing the genius of Antonio Cassano (spoiled brat, has no one but himself to blame ), I think they will (hopefully) surprise people with a more offensive and exciting approach. Luca Toni is on fire noew...Forza Azzuri!
post #18 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Mexico, MP? Sorry, but I have always found Mexico to be highly overrated. And this is in full knowledge of the US being rated 4th in the FIFA ratings--what a joke.

Sadly, I'm not fancying the US's chances this time around given our group.

But I see Argentina, the Netherlands, and Brasil (yawn) going far.

Will there be any surprises do you think? Some no-name making it to the semi-finals?

bob

who overrates mexico? if anything, we are underrated by everyone, including mexicans (though the fifa computer does tend to overrate us.)

we consistently beat the second tier european and south american teams. we tie against teams like holland and italy (we've outplayed italy in the last two world cups we've faced them) and have a history of losing to germany in the latter stages of the world cup. we basically will beat anyone except the very top tier teams. and, we're something like 4-1 against brazil the last 5 times we've played them.
post #19 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Étienne
So far, the cup looks set to be rather boring, with Brazil a very predictable favorite.

Ronaldinho is fantastic.
post #20 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Ronaldinho is fantastic.
He was only about the fifth best player on the pitch today. Samuel Eto'o and Thierry Henry were the best players in this match. I was dissapointed with all the flopping around and ref-baiting today on both sides of the ball. But it makes me happy that Ronaldinho was shut down pretty much the whole game, he looked like a fish ... out of water. Nothing personal, but That guy sucks. Unless fumbling uselessly around with the ball, getting stuffed, falling over, and then crying about it like a baby are considered "good" nowadays.
post #21 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
He was only about the fifth best player on the pitch today. Samuel Eto'o and Thierry Henry are the best players on FC Barcelona.

I was dissapointed with all the flopping around and ref-baiting today on both sides of the ball.
But it makes me happy that Ronaldinho was shut down pretty much the whole game, he looked like a fish ... out of water.

Nothing personal, but That guy sucks.

Unless fumbling uselessly around with the ball, getting stuffed, falling over, and then crying about it like a baby are considered "good" nowadays.

T. Henry plays for Arsenal Did not see game, but Gooner & Barca fans I spoke w/ had positive reports. I hold Barcelona in extra high regard b/c of their renegade/rebel (viva Catalonia! - no commercial sponsorship! ) status, so am pleaased w/ outcome....
post #22 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan
T. Henry plays for Arsenal Did not see game, but Gooner & Barca fans I spoke w/ had positive reports. I hold Barcelona in extra high regard b/c of their renegade/rebel (viva Catalonia! - no commercial sponsorship! ) status, so am pleaased w/ outcome....
Yes he does... I think my multiple edits caught up with me on that one. I edited it again just for posterity. It really pains me to see two of the better teams in the world running around for 90 minutes, falling down and clutching a body part every time there was a whisper of contact. Pathethic. There were a couple of times during the game when players went down, clutched at their knee, writhed around in pain, were helped off the field, and were back playing less than 30 seconds later. Personally I just find Ronaldinho lame. He reminds me of the one kid in peewee soccer who is a halfway decent ball-handler, so the other kids always give it to him, and he dances around trying to get by everyone and score himself. I saw him get the ball poked away from him probably five times today while he was doing some sort of half-ass Fred Astaire maneuver. Seeing as how he's on Barcelona, I usually root for them to lose. I'll be doing the same in the world cup.
post #23 of 1044
Thread Starter 
don't blame the players. it's the referees fault. if the players don't flop like clowns, the refs won't call the fouls. if the refs don't enforce the rules, the game is meaningless. almost all the refs in soccer are terrible.
post #24 of 1044
re: Ronaldinho

He is amazing. I think you do not give him enough credit TS.
However, he is also the UGLIEST footballer in the world, bar none.


I'm afraid I missed the CL final because of work-related activities (why can't they schedule the retirement reception and seniors lunch some other day?). I admit to cheering for Arsenal. I like their squad as individuals. I have been enamored with the Dutch players since the mid 90s when they were all with Ajax, so I still cheer on Bergkamp. And I particularly like Ljunberg.

MP, take this with the grain of salt that I am not a football expert and don't see every game by far: I find Mexico to be overrated not in a specific sense of anyone saying they are sure to win it all (or even anything) but in a more general sense that I'm virtually never impressed with their playing and there was much whining when Borghetti was signed by Bolton (?) about how Mexican players get no respect in England (or maybe at all outside of the CONCACAF) etc etc. Generally one doesn't see Mexican players outside of Mexico. Some claim that is out of discrimination, others claim it is because the Mexican players are simply more comfortable in Mexico (kind of how that loser Donavon likes SoCal). So Borghetti moves to Bolton and does what? Nada from the reports I have read. Great showing in the Confed Cup and WC, but what about now? I have a real problem with players who cannot move out of their comfort zone (like Donovan). Finally, there is Blanco and that dumb-ass little hop he does with the ball between his ankles. Sorry, it might get him out of a jam, but he looks like a little kid and it is kind of embarrassing as a football fan to see it. Yeah, it's illogical on my part, but that's that. Oh, the final "finally", I am an American and cheer for the US, so of course I don't like Mexico!

bob
post #25 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
don't blame the players. it's the referees fault. if the players don't flop like clowns, the refs won't call the fouls. if the refs don't enforce the rules, the game is meaningless. almost all the refs in soccer are terrible.

I think things are getting better in this regard though. I have seen more cards handed out for diving this last year than I ever remember seeing before. I think it's the players' fault--making that split-second call is tough, so when you have a player purposefully trying to deceive you...well, you get some wrong.

bob
post #26 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawson808
MP, take this with the grain of salt that I am not a football expert and don't see every game by far: I find Mexico to be overrated not in a specific sense of anyone saying they are sure to win it all (or even anything) but in a more general sense that I'm virtually never impressed with their playing and there was much whining when Borghetti was signed by Bolton (?) about how Mexican players get no respect in England (or maybe at all outside of the CONCACAF) etc etc. Generally one doesn't see Mexican players outside of Mexico. Some claim that is out of discrimination, others claim it is because the Mexican players are simply more comfortable in Mexico (kind of how that loser Donavon likes SoCal). So Borghetti moves to Bolton and does what? Nada from the reports I have read. Great showing in the Confed Cup and WC, but what about now? I have a real problem with players who cannot move out of their comfort zone (like Donovan). Finally, there is Blanco and that dumb-ass little hop he does with the ball between his ankles. Sorry, it might get him out of a jam, but he looks like a little kid and it is kind of embarrassing as a football fan to see it. Yeah, it's illogical on my part, but that's that. Oh, the final "finally", I am an American and cheer for the US, so of course I don't like Mexico!

bob
i'm curious who said all these things about mexico. the fact is that although we have an excellent national team, our players, as individuals, are mostly short and slow. that's why the european teams don't buy mexican players, and i don't blame them. we have a unique style that enables us to compete with the best teams even though we're always smaller and slower than them. i think that deserves props.

borghetti has been too old for a while now, and before he went to bolton, none of the mexican teams wanted him. he's a good national team player though, because of his "heart" when he wears the green jersey.

blanco's move did look silly, and it's also illegal. you're not allowed to trap the ball and then advance it. (again, bad refs.)
post #27 of 1044
England.
post #28 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbowles
England.

without wayne rooney or a healthy michael owen, who's going to score?

i would have picked them to make the semis if they were healthy.
post #29 of 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
we have a unique style that enables us to compete with the best teams even though we're always smaller and slower than them. i think that deserves props.

That unique style wouldn't by any chance happen to be known elsewhere in the world as "playing dirty," would it?
post #30 of 1044
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
That unique style wouldn't by any chance happen to be known elsewhere in the world as "playing dirty," would it?

no. and i resent the accusation. our special style is called "passing too much" by my european friends. it's also called "too much passing" by my south american friends.

if you want to see playing dirty, watch what the big teams do when one of the smaller teams outplays them. watch how england or italy will play if paraguay or australia plays better than them. the ref will let them play dirty and england or italy will win the match. yes. i hate the refs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › world cup