• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe brush

Cedarville Store

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
What is your fave brand of shoe brush and why? Where to buy?

Thanks!

Cura brand from Cedarville Store.
Same as AE, 100% horsehair, they work great and don't loose hairs like some other cheap brands. The large brush or medium work best, the small is not my favorite size.

http://www.cedarvillestore.com/c-3-s...aspx?pagenum=2

Cura shoe cream work great too.

Use the styleform coupon for 10% off.

Regards,
www.CedarvilleStore.com

Checkerboard 13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Anyone ever used the Cura brand shoe brushes? Any feedback?

I believe the same brushes are sold under a variety of names. I have two of them (under a different name) and while they are well constructed brushes, there are two aspects that I am not entirely happy with.
The first is that the form and finish of the handle are not what they could be. The handle could be both a smoother finish, and designed to fit more comfortably in the hand.

The second issue I have found is that the ends of the handle extend a bit farther beyond the bristles than brushes from some other manufacturers, and on the underside have a sharp edge, rather than being rounded nicely.
I have had this sharp edge cause nicks on the edges of the soles and heels of shoes while brushing. It doesn't happen all of the time, but I have found that when brushing the arch side of a shoe with particularly deep arches, the end of the brush can make inadvertent contact with the side of the sole or heel, and the sharp edge can cause a nick.
I don't have this problem with other brushes. When the handle doesn't extend as far beyond the bristles, it is less likely to accidentally contact the sole or heel and even if it does, a well rounded edge won't cause a nick.

I suppose both of these issues might be resolved to some extent through the judicious use of a little sandpaper, however I have not attempted it.

My favorite brush is an old Fuller, inherited from my father.
I don't believe Fuller sells the same style of brush any longer, but the one I have closely resembles this brush which, though I don't own one, appears to be a rather nice brush. If you look closely at the picture, you can see that the handle appears to have a very smooth finish, there are grooves in the sides to accommodate your fingers, and the ends of the handle end shortly after the bristles and are nicely rounded.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a brush from La Cordonnerie Anglaise, but only to lightly brush my suede shoes. I never use a brush for other leather shoes. I use white cotton gloves (for applying and 'brushing') for those.

http://www.lca-international.com
(The catalogue doesn't seem to work at the moment.)

Edit: picture. I don't have an isolated picture of it, but:

gallo.jpg

JL724

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
http://www.shoecaresupplies.com/Sear...lts.asp?Cat=24

The brushes are awesome and they are excellent folks.

Anyone else use these? I always have my shoes shined after I wear them but need a brush to wipe off the dust that accumulates in between wearings.

Am I better off getting neutral bristles if I am going to use it for brown and black shoes?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use a Kiwi brush that I bought at Duane Reade years ago. I tried the expensive ones, but I went back to the Kiwi. I feel that the bristles are softer and produce a more "buffed" finish much like that of a piece of silk. The others I felt disrupted the finish more than anything.

JL724

Reaction score
Dumb question, but are you supposed to use a horsehair brush or lambswool buffer / shine cloth to remove dust?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got my horsehair brushes from this shop that faces the Viktualienmarkt in Munich. They had all kinds of brushes for all kinds of purposes, but the ones I found were a perfect size and the quality felt and looked great. They've performed very well so far, but I must admit it's kind of an esoteric place to recommend.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four Seasons

AFCO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads