• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strand

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut a suitable year-round shoe?

I can get one for $184 shipped which seems to be a good price ... but only if I can get plenty of use.

I was planning on saving up for some PTB shells in #8, but the Strands seem like a classic buy

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You mean these?

195657_366_45.jpg

I'm not sure why you'd be worried about wearing them year-round. Are your concerns aesthetic or practical?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You mean these?

195657_366_45.jpg

I'm not sure why you'd be worried about wearing them year-round. Are your concerns aesthetic or practical?

Concern was color since I haven't seen them in person.

I thought the walnut was much lighter, but that picture makes them look darker than the other pics I've seen, so thanks!

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The walnut color is a solid medium-dark brown with nice dark burnished accents. You could argue whether they are medium brown or dark brown, but they are definitely not light brown or tan.

Smahatma

Reaction score
That stock photo makes the shoe look much sleeker than the blob it actually is (I, unfortunately, impulse bought this shoe last year when it was reintroduced...at full retail
ffffuuuu.gif
).

I would suggest you take a gander at the C&J Westfield version.

stumy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
The walnut color is a solid medium-dark brown with nice dark burnished accents. You could argue whether they are medium brown or dark brown, but they are definitely not light brown or tan.

Unelss they've changed the colors in the last few months, the light brown, or what looks to be described as walnut, is far from dark brown.

Better photographed here (scroll down):

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=141581&page=3

I have the dark brown model and I like it quite a bit. I think the consensus is that the AE 5 last is not a boat.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
That stock photo makes the shoe look much sleeker than the blob it actually is (I, unfortunately, impulse bought this shoe last year when it was reintroduced...at full retail
ffffuuuu.gif
).

You impulse bought from a photo, or in store?

suitntieguy

Reaction score
the strand in walnut is a fantastic shoe. No C and J but it is also not 800 bucks

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
You impulse bought from a photo, or in store?
from the online photo I bought it when they had just reintroduced it as a "classic" and was online-only at the time its not that bad, but very rarely gets any wear over the c&j's in my rotation

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from the online photo

I bought it when they had just reintroduced it as a "classic" and was online-only at the time

its not that bad, but very rarely gets any wear over the c&j's in my rotation

How much was the C&J Westfield?

phillyesq

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
).

I would suggest you take a gander at the C&J Westfield version.

I have the Strand in chestnut (by far my favorite A&E shoe) and I don't think that they are a blob at all. I wear it year round, with no hesitation.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've owned the Strand and have to say it isn't blobby at all. The leather was very supple. It actually fit better than my C&J Westfield (variation).

card_richelieu

Reaction score
Terrific shoe. I just picked this up in Walnut on impulse as well & I couldn't be more pleased. And I had no love for AE beforehand (this is my first AE). I wouldn't consider it blobby - I think the proportions work really well for my size at least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads