or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Footwear question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Footwear question

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I noticed that I have a lot of plain black clothes. I have some nice tshirts, long sleeve shirts, cardigan, zip mock neck and a crewneck. All of them are plain black. I do like the color black but I think it can be a bit boring. I don't really know how I ended up with so much black.

The other day, I threw on some jeans and one of my long sleeve black tshirts. It was simple but I thought it looked okay (I was just running out quickly) but as soon as I put on shoes, it just looked boring. The shoes I put on were just basic black and white converse chuck taylors.

I was thinking that some new shoes might have made what I was wearing a bit more interesting. What would you guys suggest that I look into?

Also, what else could be worn with the black clothes I own to maybe make them a bit more interesting?

Thanks
post #2 of 17
if you have alot of black, all white shoes imo look very good...depends on the type of look you want though
post #3 of 17
I would look into lace-up deck shoes if I were you. You could get some whites, reds, black-and-white check, or whatever else and ad some color to your outfit for cheap. Styleforum might look down on deck shoes, but I think they can be a good look with jeans + teeshirt.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I would look into lace-up deck shoes if I were you. You could get some whites, reds, black-and-white check, or whatever else and ad some color to your outfit for cheap. Styleforum might look down on deck shoes, but I think they can be a good look with jeans + teeshirt.

The topic of boat shoes has come up in the past, with most of the posters having a favorable opinion of them. They cited the same positive aspects you did, namely color variety and affordability.

Boat shoes are traditionally a prep staple, but I agree with you that they also work well with jeans and tees. It's just too bad they're not nearly as comfortable as sneakers. If not for that, I'd own more than my single pair of Sperrys.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gza
It's just too bad they're not nearly as comfortable as sneakers.
You must have the wrong size, or have broken them in with socks on, because I find mine to be slipper-like in comfort. Sure, the lack of arch support/cushioning means that they suck for walking any considerable distance, but for lounging around they're hard to beat.
post #6 of 17
I picked mine up thrifting, actually, so they were broken in by someone else. That might be the issue, though I don't know if they wore socks or not (in truth, not such a pleasant thing to think about). They're comfortable enough for lounging like you say, but I tend to do a lot walking, and that's where the real pain comes in. Of course, walking any length of distance could be called a misuse of the shoe...you can't walk very far on a boat, can you?
post #7 of 17


Everyone loves these. Comfy. Cheap. I've gotten more compliments and favorable looks from these than any of my other shoes. (Which pisses me off a little, but hey.)
post #8 of 17
I was just gonna say slip-on checkerboard Vans, but I was thinking of black/white. j's idea is much better.
post #9 of 17
It's funny----vans slip-ons really beat up my feet. Of course, they are the only shoes I wear without socks, so maybe I'm just a tenderfoot. I third the suggestion of checkerboard vans to liven up a widowerish wardrobe.
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gza
I picked mine up thrifting, actually, so they were broken in by someone else. That might be the issue, though I don't know if they wore socks or not (in truth, not such a pleasant thing to think about). They're comfortable enough for lounging like you say, but I tend to do a lot walking, and that's where the real pain comes in. Of course, walking any length of distance could be called a misuse of the shoe...you can't walk very far on a boat, can you?
Heh. Yeah, I think the fact that you didn't break them in without socks on your own feet is why they aren't as comfortable as they should be.
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
I like the Vans idea.

I was also thinking about a pair of distressed boots/shoes with a pointed toe. I like brown the best but brown doesn't go that well with black in my opinion.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I noticed that I have a lot of plain black clothes. I have some nice tshirts, long sleeve shirts, cardigan, zip mock neck and a crewneck. All of them are plain black. I do like the color black but I think it can be a bit boring. I don't really know how I ended up with so much black.

The other day, I threw on some jeans and one of my long sleeve black tshirts. It was simple but I thought it looked okay (I was just running out quickly) but as soon as I put on shoes, it just looked boring. The shoes I put on were just basic black and white converse chuck taylors.

I was thinking that some new shoes might have made what I was wearing a bit more interesting. What would you guys suggest that I look into?

Also, what else could be worn with the black clothes I own to maybe make them a bit more interesting?

Thanks

I've always worn black and over the past couple of years have tried to get away from it. Not because I don't like it, but because I really wanted some variety. But I always go back to black.

Anyway, I wear tshirts and jeans quite a bit and monkstraps (IMO) look good for casual or dressing up, chelsea boots also go very well with jeans (casual or dressing up), even lace up black shoes can be casual or dressed up (bluchers preferably).

For variety, throw on a black sport coat (if it's cool enough) or a black leather sport coat. Are you wearing a watch or a bracelet? That would help add interest to a plain outfit.

Unfortunately, I can't find any pics to go with what I am talking about but hopefully you get the idea.
post #13 of 17
yes accessories are a great way to make an outfit more interesting. i never though of myself as a ring person, but i decided to try it out a few months ago and now i wear three- looking for one more and maybe a few to switch it up a bit. i get compliments all the time on my rings, and even when i go to back to some stores saleswomen have said- "oh i remember the ring you wear on your thumb"... but i regress haha. i too wear mostly black and various shades of gray. i'm doing this because its much easier to travel around with clothes that all match each other.. but even when i'm home with all my clothes, i wear mostly dark colors. you can always throw in a little white here and there to make your outfit stand out a little. but yes, accessories can make any boring outfit interesting- watches, rings, necklaces, belts, bracelets, etc.
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys.

I do wear a silver ring on my thumb now most of the time.

I've been looking at getting some more colorful undershirts (from AA) to wear under my sweaters. Only a little bit of the shirt collar shows but it seems to be enough to make a difference.
post #15 of 17
Try some funky necklaces in black or antiqued metal(yes black I know) to give an extra edge to your street-clothes.

e.g:


Add it over a shirt/sweater combo and you'll be punking.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Footwear question