• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style advice for a Midnight Blue "Cotton" Tuxedo

Woody

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post and I have enjoyed reading for the past month.

I don't feel the cotton tuxedo is traditional so I am fine wearing some brown boots I love plus it's an "upscale formal event". Should I wear the Ken Wang navy grenadine, or navy with white pin dots tie? Right now I'm leaning towards a white shirt but I haven't ruled out a light gray like the model is wearing. Was also thinking about adding the Ken Wang Red agate lace cuff links to compliment the color of the boots- what do you think? Thanks.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Why would you dress-down a tux for an upscale formal event? What is "upscale formal event" supposed to mean exactly in this situation? I'm not sure that just because a tuxedo is made of cotton it's an excuse to wear brown shoes and a tie.

Woody

Reaction score
The host started off asking for black tie but many of her guests complained and she called it "upscale formal" with black tie optional instead. It's the opening night film at a film festival with a gala following. I agree the term upscale formal doesn't make much sense. I love the boots. I went to a gala the other day here in New York and there was just one tuxedo in the building, plenty of brown boots with high end suits though.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly what is this event? The clown college prom?

On the off-chance that you are just thoroughly clueless, I provide the standard link.

http://www.blacktieguide.com/

In a cotton tuxedo, a FIH and brown shoes, you are going to look like a dog's dinner. The precise cufflinks you wear aren't really going to matter.

Woody

Reaction score
You're funny. I like to know the rules I am breaking so I'm quite familiar with the website.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
who the hell makes a cotton tuxedo
confused.gif

OP, either wear a nice dark suit (nice meaning made of wool) or, if you are going to dress ironically, wear the cotton tux but in a non formal manner.

Woody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
who the hell makes a cotton tuxedo
confused.gif

OP, either wear a nice dark suit (nice meaning made of wool) or, if you are going to dress ironically, wear the cotton tux but in a non formal manner.

Meaning without a tie?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Woody
Meaning without a tie?

yes, go "rock and roll" (sounds corny, I know). The cotton tux is not really a tux so don't try and make it one. Wear some cool shirt open collared and nice shoes, maybe some shiny black boots. Maybe a pocket square.

Woody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
yes, go "rock and roll" (sounds corny, I know). The cotton tux is not really a tux so don't try and make it one. Wear some cool shirt open collared and nice shoes, maybe some shiny black boots. Maybe a pocket square.

Not at all, I can see the look you are suggesting.

Montrachet

Reaction score
The host started off asking for black tie but many of her guests complained and she called it "upscale formal" with black tie optional instead.

If this is the case, you should be polite and honor the host's desires by wearing classic black tie.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The host started off asking for black tie but many of her guests complained and she called it "upscale formal" with black tie optional instead.

This attitude is really common and I find it unfathomable. Proper black tie looks very good and you don't have to think about what to wear. I'm surprised that men don't demand black tie dress codes rather than complain about them.

This is particularly true in that the people who most complain about having to wear black tie are typically the people who have no idea how to dress themselves. They typically wear eye-searing, mismatched disasters to these events, much like the one you originally proposed. It doesn't come across as "ironic," it comes across as "I am an orphan who was raised in an institution and never learned proper social skills." The irony is, of course, that those most resistant to proper black tie would most benefit from it.

It's the opening night film at a film festival with a gala following. I agree the term upscale formal doesn't make much sense. I love the boots. I went to a gala the other day here in New York and there was just one tuxedo in the building, plenty of brown boots with high end suits though.
Yes, "upscale formal" is a nonsense phrase. In fact, "upscale" is starting to be like "dressy" and "classy." Anything described that way, isn't.

Since it's a movie premier, I'm sure many people will go for the shudder Oscars look. I remind you, however, that for quite some time now, the coolest looking people on the carpet have been dressed in proper black tie whereas the ironic, trendy people in tuxedo jackets with FIH ties, flip flops, open shirts, etc., mostly looked like whankers.

Woody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
If this is the case, you should be polite and honor the host's desires by wearing classic black tie.

With black shoes my decision becomes clearer- the plain navy tie from Ken Wang over the dotted one.

Eccentric

Reaction score
You want a decent look? Take the outfit in your first picture, now make the jacket a little longer and substitute a bowtie for the FIH. Oh, and make it wool.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
This attitude is really common and I find it unfathomable. Proper black tie looks very good and you don't have to think about what to wear. I'm surprised that men don't demand black tie dress codes rather than complain about them.

This is particularly true in that the people who most complain about having to wear black tie are typically the people who have no idea how to dress themselves. They typically wear eye-searing, mismatched disasters to these events, much like the one you originally proposed. It doesn't come across as "ironic," it comes across as "I am an orphan who was raised in an institution and never learned proper social skills." The irony is, of course, that those most resistant to proper black tie would most benefit from it.

Yes, "upscale formal" is a nonsense phrase. In fact, "upscale" is starting to be like "dressy" and "classy." Anything described that way, isn't.

Since it's a movie premier, I'm sure many people will go for the shudder Oscars look. I remind you, however, that for quite some time now, the coolest looking people on the carpet have been dressed in proper black tie whereas the ironic, trendy people in tuxedo jackets with FIH ties, flip flops, open shirts, etc., mostly looked like whankers.

I can totally understand people's reluctance to wear black tie because it means investing $$$$ in clothing that you may get very little use out of it.

jgeldner

Reaction score
where does one acquire a midnight blue cotton tuxedo? sounds interesting (seriously)...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads