• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longwings or Wingtips

jmoody15

Reaction score
Why the obsession over longwings on this forum? What do people have against wingtips?

Everyone likes something that's sleek, but longwings seem clunky to me. What is the purpose for avoiding the sleeker wingtip for its ugly-duckling-cousin, the longwing?

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmoody15
Why the obsession over longwings on this forum? What do people have against wingtips?

Everyone likes something that's sleek, but longwings seem clunky to me. What is the purpose for avoiding the sleeker wingtip for its ugly-duckling-cousin, the longwing?

Aren't longwings a species of wingtips (as opposed to low wings)?

jmoody15

Reaction score
I'm talking wingtips vs. longwings

At least that's my understanding of the difference. And people here tend to prefer the latter, from what I have seen

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that longwings are klind of clunky looking. I think people like them because they are fairly rare these days

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm talking wingtips vs. longwings

At least that's my understanding of the difference. And people here tend to prefer the latter, from what I have seen

I guess that I was just focusing on sematics - I call both shoes "wingtips" but distinguish between the sweep of the wings ("long" versus "low"). I actually prefer "wingtips"/"low wings" because they look a tad sleeker IMHO.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes a sleeker shoe is incongruent with the rest of your clothes, that's why.

mrmax

Reaction score
I dislike longwings.

Longwings bisect the foot horizontally, and visually cut the foot in half. The effect is as if one is wearing platforms, or shoes artificially made to increase height. Not a good look IMO.

distinct

Reaction score

Yeah I'd have to go with wingtips. Something about most longwings, especially in brown, just doesn't look right to me.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both. I wear the wingtips with dressier clothes. I wear the longwings (Florsheim) with jeans, tweeds and moleskins. Longwings are a great jeans shoe as long as you not wearing skinny jeans. I like the clunkiness of the longwings. It reminds me of the shoes men wore when I was growing up. Consider them a Gran Torino for your feet.

phillyesq

Reaction score
I prefer wingtips to longwings. If I were to wear longwings, it would be with either jeans or cords, but I just don't find the longwings that appealing.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I guess that I was just focusing on sematics - I call both shoes "wingtips" but distinguish between the sweep of the wings ("long" versus "low"). I actually prefer "wingtips"/"low wings" because they look a tad sleeker IMHO.

It seems that short wings are always oxford style and longwings are always derby style.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to like longwings, as they tend to be a bit more casual. However, I do think they can be worn with slimmer pants or denim. Though not terribly thin, mind you. I think it gives off more of a subcultural aesthetic--something the mods or skins might have worn.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's really more of a lw bent on AAAC - here, there's about 6 guys who like them, including me.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I have both. I wear the wingtips with dressier clothes. I wear the longwings (Florsheim) with jeans, tweeds and moleskins. Longwings are a great jeans shoe as long as you not wearing skinny jeans. I like the clunkiness of the longwings. It reminds me of the shoes men wore when I was growing up. Consider them a Gran Torino for your feet.

+1 This.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads