or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › what makes a good shoe and why they cost so much
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what makes a good shoe and why they cost so much - Page 16

post #226 of 232
DWFII, what is the purpose of heels that look like this? To account for pronation/supination?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P1030804.jpg

(these are the soles of the stock alden 405 - aka the indy boots)
post #227 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivats View Post
DWFII, what is the purpose of heels that look like this? To account for pronation/supination? http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...o/P1030804.jpg (these are the soles of the stock alden 405 - aka the indy boots)
Sri, Jeeze, it's been a while since I've seen a pair of those--they're called Thomas heels," if I recall correctly. And yes, they were designed to mitigate pronation. They were originally conceived as a corrective heel but there was a time when it seemed every manufacturer was putting them on their shoes and every customer wanted them.
post #228 of 232
Alden is the only RTW maker today that I am aware of still making a pair of shoes with those heels.

^ Would there be any negative effects if I wear a pair of shoes with those heels, but don't really pronate much?
post #229 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by srivats View Post
Alden is the only RTW maker today that I am aware of still making a pair of shoes with those heels. ^ Would there be any negative effects if I wear a pair of shoes with those heels, but don't really pronate much?
Not that I'm aware of.
post #230 of 232
I recently went on a pilgrimage to one of the most exclusive shoe shop in my area and gathered some insightful information about their resole service.

They do half resoling with Rendenbach "mahogany" finished soles. For full resole service, the shoes are send to their original maker because it can be only done on the original last.

Half resole is more cost-effective, but by doing that I also get denied by the original manufacturer for full resole. Shocker note: full refurbishment by EG @$315

Dear DWFII any advice?
post #231 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrero View Post
I recently went on a pilgrimage to one of the most exclusive shoe shop in my area and gathered some insightful information about their resole service. They do half resoling with Rendenbach "mahogany" finished soles. For full resole service, the shoes are send to their original maker because it can be only done on the original last. Half resole is more cost-effective, but by doing that I also get denied by the original manufacturer for full resole. Shocker note: full refurbishment by EG @$315 Dear DWFII any advice?
If you are like most of the people here and wear your shoes infrequently and (wry humour alert!) only on paths strewn with rose petals you can probably get an adequate...even excellent...resole job locally. Almost any competent shoe repairman can replace the sole, refill the forepart and shine your shoes. I would ask to see examples of the cobbler's work, however, and compare it to the original...and your expectations. If you wear one pair daily, most of the week, and wear them hard, if you put off getting them repaired until the hole in the bottom is mirrored by the hole in your socks, you probably ought to have them "recrafted." Once upon a time half soles were a reasonable solution, and they still are provided the repairman has the skill and knowledge to not inadvertently incorporate a metatarsal bar into the repair job. This can happen when not enough care is taken splicing the half sole to the waist of the old sole. I can't count the number of times I've seen that telltale thickening just behind the treadline...sometimes the splice will be half again thicker than the original sole in that one area. Beyond that, Rendenbach soles are good leather, if a little brittle. They are tanned with acorn caps and are left in the tanning pits for the better part of a year. Hope that helps... Yr. Hmb. Svt.,
post #232 of 232

This is a great thread. Tons of info...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › what makes a good shoe and why they cost so much