or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › what makes a good shoe and why they cost so much
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

what makes a good shoe and why they cost so much - Page 11

post #151 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post
Jerk! That girl was a former model. I may never have a more beautiful girlfriend. Of course, I've said that before... She also had a few post grad degrees and had set up an ngo that founded and ran grade schools in the poorest, rural areas. Oh well..

Sorry. That's the kind of woman who ends up with guys like me.

I know that this is not fair, but presumably, I will pay for it by slow roasting in Hell.


- B
post #152 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi View Post
About the channeling of the stitching in the outsole: when you are in the situation of having these open channels, would it not be an effective idea to fill that channel up with some pieces of leather? I'm thinking snares of leather that you push in and which would then expand when you walk. That way, the stitching is protected from debris. ?
I'm not saying it couldn't be done..nor that it hasn't been done...but considering the conditions that the outsole is exposed to, I doubt that it would be effective. The first time you got into any gravel or grit, those pieces would be scoured out...in a trice. Beyond that, if the maker or manufactory simply takes the time...mere seconds in most cases...to cut the channel with the machine and close it back up when done, it is probably as effective at preventing untimely wear as any other solution. I'm not sure that a hand cut horizontal channel is all that much more effective than the vertical channel, although the horizontal channel certainly looks cleaner and more professional. But I am sure that the vertical channel shown above is much much more effective at prolonging the life of the outsole stitching than either exposed stitching or stitching aloft. And if the horizontal channel looks more professional than the vertical channel, the vertical channel looks more professional than exposed stitching--it's a sign that somebody cares, IOW.
post #153 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Sorry. That's the kind of woman who ends up with guys like me.

I know that this is not fair, but presumably, I will pay for it by slow roasting in Hell.
Why would getting the leftovers of guys like me condemn guys like you to hell?

Btw, have I told you my image of hell, or heaven? Neither is of a place. Both are of states, states of perfect knowledge, such that one sees ones whole live clearly, with its good choices and bad choices and their good consequences and bad consequences. It'd be kind of like the visions in A Christmas Carol -- must-see holiday viewing imo. At least once.
post #154 of 232
Thread Starter 
Sorry..but the really beautiful women all end up with guys like me--landed gentry:
post #155 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post
Why would getting the leftovers of guys like me condemn guys like you to hell?

Better you than Tiger Woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptym View Post
Btw, have I told you my image of hell, or heaven? Neither is of a place. Both are of states, states of perfect knowledge, such that one sees ones whole live clearly, with its good choices and bad choices and their good consequences and bad consequences. It'd be kind of like the visions in A Christmas Carol -- must-see holiday viewing imo. At least once.

I've actually seen Hell, and it involves low grade gin at a party.


- B
post #156 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
They have a little shop in Harvard Square. Their hot chocolate is a great comfort to unattractive women throughout the Boston area.

- B

"You Lie!"

They cannot possibly produce so much chocolate.
post #157 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
OP, thanks for your insight. Since you've been making points about durability, what is your opinion on adding a rubber topy to the sole of a leather shoe? And how about rubber soles in general?
Several years ago (15) I had apair of Ballys resoled, they did not fit the same as before. I asked the shoe repair guy about it and he suggested to use Topy on the next pair before they wear out. Well not only have I used Topy on the next pair but every pair of dress shoes I've bought since, if it wasn't there already, about a dozen pair. Brand new shoes get Topy!! I have a 12 year old pair of Ferragamo Walters that have been re-topied twice and look great and feel better having the same original fit. I never wear the same shoes 2 days in a row which having many pair helps So I am a firm believer in Topy or Vibram BEFORE wearing them.
post #158 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrider View Post
... I hope we will be seeing more of your non-western pieces in the future, as I do like those very much indeed...

DW has been kind enough to agree to create a pair of brown wingtip oxford shoes for me. I am aware this process takes some time, so I am waiting patiently. Once I have the completed shoes in hand I plan to take detailed pictures of them and share them on this forum (if that is ok with DW).
post #159 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra View Post
"You Lie!"

They cannot possibly produce so much chocolate.

vox is overstating the case. really it's just unattractive women from cambridge, allston and watertown.
post #160 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post
DW has been kind enough to agree to create a pair of brown wingtip oxford shoes for me. I am aware this process takes some time, so I am waiting patiently. Once I have the completed shoes in hand I plan to take detailed pictures of them and share them on this forum (if that is ok with DW).

measuring by mail? 1 year wait?
post #161 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Brand new shoes get Topy!!

So I am a firm believer in Topy or Vibram BEFORE wearing them.

rule of thumb - this is plain wrong.

glad it worked for you.
post #162 of 232
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post
DW has been kind enough to agree to create a pair of brown wingtip oxford shoes for me. I am aware this process takes some time, so I am waiting patiently. Once I have the completed shoes in hand I plan to take detailed pictures of them and share them on this forum (if that is ok with DW).
Glen, Thank you for your patronage. I am looking forward to doing this pair. You are perfectly welcome to post photos of them.
post #163 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdena
Brand new shoes get Topy!!

So I am a firm believer in Topy or Vibram BEFORE wearing them.

rule of thumb - this is plain wrong.

glad it worked for you.

So why is it "plain wrong?"
post #164 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenjay View Post
DW has been kind enough to agree to create a pair of brown wingtip oxford shoes for me. I am aware this process takes some time, so I am waiting patiently. Once I have the completed shoes in hand I plan to take detailed pictures of them and share them on this forum (if that is ok with DW).

Very noble of you to commission a pair to take them apart to show us what true craftsmanship is all about.
post #165 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfnapolifan View Post
measuring by mail? 1 year wait?

Actually I live about 20 miles from DW, so I was able to get my feet measured in person. DW gave me an estimate of around 6 months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
Very noble of you to commission a pair to take them apart to show us what true craftsmanship is all about.

Sorry, I'm just not quite that noble. The deconstruction of the shoe will have to be done verbally, not literally. However if DW wants to take pictures during construction that would be fantastic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › what makes a good shoe and why they cost so much