or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread - Page 5

post #61 of 355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
I'm thinking Mayweather just because Roach said it clear and out loud after the fight that he wanted Mayweather. If not, maybe Mosley and then Mayweather.

Your thoughts?
I see pac fighting two more times tops, and then retiring. He stated after his victory that welterweight is his limit, and that super welterweight is too big for him. There's really no one left at 147, but Floyd and Mosley. I'm skeptical about Williams saying that he can still make the welterweight limit. If he was reluctant to fight Floyd, the vacation comment, then he'll have reservations about Williams. No one's going to hold him against Williams either. I don't think Mosley will happen if fanny pac fights Floyd first. Win or lose against Floyd, what's there left to prove after that?
post #62 of 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCooN View Post
Not to be funny, but I find you to be uninteresting and lame.

Too easy. But nice try.
post #63 of 355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley View Post
Too easy. But nice try.
I'm just answering your question. No need to act like a woman about it.
post #64 of 355
Thread Starter 
MIKE TYSON can't ever get a break.
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, who was arrested in a scuffle with a photographer, could be sent to jail if he’s found to have violated probation from a 2007 drug case, officials said Thursday. The 43-year-old former heavyweight champion and a photographer, Tony Echeverria, made citizens’ arrests of each other following a confrontation at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at Los Angeles International Airport. Each man claimed the other struck him, police said. Airport police were called, and the men were taken away for booking on suspicion of misdemeanor battery. They were fingerprinted and photographed, then released without bail, Sgt. Jim Holcomb said. The city attorney will decide whether to file criminal charges. Tyson is on probation after pleading guilty in Arizona to cocaine possession and driving under the influence. He spent 24 hours in jail there. Zach Dal Pra, deputy chief of the Maricopa County Adult Probation Department, said his office is still trying to get in touch with Los Angeles authorities to figure out exactly what transpired during the airport incident. “Did Mr. Tyson’s actions constitute a violation of probation here? If so, we’ll start court proceedings,” he said. “Right now, we’re still in that investigative mode.” Tyson could face jail time if a court finds that he violated his probation, Dal Pra said. Tyson had stopped at LAX while traveling from Europe to Las Vegas when several photographers began snapping pictures of him near a ticket counter, Holcomb said. Echeverria, 50, who described himself as a freelance photographer, told police that Tyson struck him once. The photographer fell to the ground and was treated for a cut to his forehead at a hospital. Tyson’s attorney, Shawn Chapman Holley, said the boxer was traveling with his wife and 10-month-old child when he was attacked by an overly aggressive paparazzo. He said Echeverria repeatedly refused to comply with orders from airport personnel to leave the family alone and at one point collided with the baby’s stroller. “Mike acted in self defense as a father protecting his child,” Holcomb said. Echeverria’s camera was booked as evidence, and police were checking if there was any surveillance video of the incident. Tyson was cooperative as he waited in a holding cell at the airport police station, Holcomb said. Echeverria was treated at a hospital while Tyson continued his trip, Holcomb said. Holcomb said both men were released without any restrictions and were free to go wherever they wanted. Paparazzi often camp out at Los Angeles’ largest airport to get shots of celebrities in transit. Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion ever in 1986 when he won his title as a 20-year-old. But his life since then has been marred by accusations of domestic violence, rape and cocaine use. Tyson was convicted of rape in Indiana in 1992 and served three years in prison. He was disqualified from a 1997 heavyweight title fight when he bit off part of Evander Holyfield’s right ear, and in 1999 he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor assault charges in Maryland. In 2003, Tyson filed for Chapter 11 protection in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
post #65 of 355
OP is an idiot. I support moving this to Dumb Threads.
post #66 of 355
post #67 of 355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by erzu View Post
OP is an idiot. I support moving this to Dumb Threads.
Why? Because I call things out the way they are? You're the fucking dumbass who can't accept the truth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post
Good news.
post #68 of 355
I don't want to denigrate Pacquiao's accomplishment, but the fight with Cotto was at a catchweight. How can it be considered a welterweight title fight? Is there a possibility that Cotto was significantly weakened by having to fight at two lbs. lighter than his normal fighting weight?
post #69 of 355
The thing I found interesting was that they didn't show what weight Cotto or Pacquiao was right before the fight. I know they weighed 144 and 145 respectively but I am sure that is not what they weighed during the next day. I mean in one of the under-card fights, one of the boxers gained 16-21 lbs from the weigh-in to the fight night. So we really do not know how heavy either fighter way and I wouldn't be surprised if Cotto was 160-165 lbs during the fight, same with Pacquiao though, he could have been at 135-140.

And even though it was a catch weight, you have to consider that Pacquiao was a 112 lb champion and moved up to 144 lbs and has excelled. Plus with the total domination, it probably wouldn't have mattered much, it was a clear win for Pacman and there really isn't anymore excuses for Cotto.

Even though he lost, I think Cotto has gained plenty of respect because he did fight with a lot of heart and never gave up. He is also very respectable and humble, he gave me a new prospective on his career. He'll fight again, he is still young, and once he gets to beat on a few small dogs he'll be back on top and go after the title again.
post #70 of 355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post
I don't want to denigrate Pacquiao's accomplishment, but the fight with Cotto was at a catchweight. How can it be considered a welterweight title fight? Is there a possibility that Cotto was significantly weakened by having to fight at two lbs. lighter than his normal fighting weight?
You bring up a good point. Cotto and Pac are promoted by the same guy, and Cotto essentially got fucked over into putting the belt on the line. Arum knows that having fanny pac as a titleholder will make it easier to negotiate with Floyd. If you want the belt for an entire division than the guy you're fighting should be able to pick any weight within the range. That wasn't how it worked for this fight. Anyways, pac has shown that he can take some of the most powerful punches in the welterweight division by Cotto. He now has the belt. A reasonable person will know that he should drop that catchweight shit for any future fights. If not he might as well as call it the 145 belt instead of the welterweight. Cotto usually weighed in around there for his previous fights. The weight wasn't the reason for why he fought so bad. He still had the pop in his punches, fanny pac admits to being hurt in the fight yet he hid it during the post fight talk. Cotto's corner was the biggest reason for him doing so bad. Remember how bad Hatton did against Pac? He couldn't work together with Floyd Sr, and that made him completely abandon the game plan. Cotto was his own boss, so he had no one to correct his mistakes for him.
post #71 of 355
Agreed, Cotto's side were all amateurs, hell his trainer was Roaches assistant and this was hist first fight as a head trainer. They did not have a strategy at all and I think Cotto looked for a "yes" man and he got it. Cotto would have had a better chance if he had a real trainer on his corner. As for the Welterweight, I though welterweight was for 140-147 lbs? I wouldn't say Cotto got f'd though, the man got paid $7 million in a loss, that is a lot of money for the losing side. I beleive JMM only got like $2-$3 mil against Money. Not to add to the Pacman/Money debate but Pacman did have to move up in weight to fight DLH/Hatton/Cotto while JMM had to move up in weight against Money so the catch weight argument can't really be used against either one, I'm just putting it out there.
post #72 of 355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
Agreed, Cotto's side were all amateurs, hell his trainer was Roaches assistant and this was hist first fight as a head trainer. They did not have a strategy at all and I think Cotto looked for a "yes" man and he got it. Cotto would have had a better chance if he had a real trainer on his corner.

As for the Welterweight, I though welterweight was for 140-147 lbs? I wouldn't say Cotto got f'd though, the man got paid $7 million in a loss, that is a lot of money for the losing side. I beleive JMM only got like $2-$3 mil against Money.

Not to add to the Pacman/Money debate but Pacman did have to move up in weight to fight DLH/Hatton/Cotto while JMM had to move up in weight against Money so the catch weight argument can't really be used against either one, I'm just putting it out there.
Yea, 140-147 is welterweight. I'm saying Cotto was conned for his belt. They made the fight happen at a catchweight of 145 instead of letting both fighters choose to come in at any number within the welter range. Cotto didn't want to put his belt on the line at first, but Arum had him do it.

I'm saying that since Pac is now the official titleholder for the WELTERWEIGHT division he should let challengers fight within any number of that range. If not let's just call it the 145 belt.
post #73 of 355
I really don't see the big deal though, like I said, Cotto made the 145 lbs weigh-in on Friday but he was probably a lot heavier in the fight so either way, I doubt it affected his abilities. It was all good though, $7 mil to put the title on the line isn't bad at all. He probably would have gotten the same amount as JMM if he didn't put it on the line.

Seriously though, the only drawback of the whole night was the crappy undercards. When they said Chavez Jr. wanted to challenge Pacman I thought to myself, dude must have firepower or at least decent and then I see this dude fight and I had to change back to NBA TV just to stay awake. Dude was weak, the same with the Santos/Foreman fight, no excitement at all, made me appreciate the Pac/Cotto fight much more.
post #74 of 355
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFX45 View Post
I really don't see the big deal though, like I said, Cotto made the 145 lbs weigh-in on Friday but he was probably a lot heavier in the fight so either way, I doubt it affected his abilities. It was all good though, $7 mil to put the title on the line isn't bad at all. He probably would have gotten the same amount as JMM if he didn't put it on the line.

Seriously though, the only drawback of the whole night was the crappy undercards. When they said Chavez Jr. wanted to challenge Pacman I thought to myself, dude must have firepower or at least decent and then I see this dude fight and I had to change back to NBA TV just to stay awake. Dude was weak, the same with the Santos/Foreman fight, no excitement at all, made me appreciate the Pac/Cotto fight much more.
Not for Cotto, but for future fights the catchweight biz should be over. Pac proved on Saturday that he's good enough to bang with true welterweights despite his smaller size.

Who was the guy ran away near the end of round 9 into his corner? His fight came before the Chavez fight.
post #75 of 355
The guy that ran was Yuri Foreman, I was laughing. Then Chavez Jr. got bitch slapped a few times with a backhand, the ref just let it go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › TyCooN's Official Boxing Thread