or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats - Page 52

post #766 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Maybe Foodguy will check in, but yeah, my suggestion would be smoke it and finish in the oven. Will probably make your life easier. Expecting some pics. wink.gif
post #767 of 1013
thanks, will do on the picts. last year was a blast.
post #768 of 1013
had my annual barbeque on the weekend. about 160 guests. pork shoulder, brisket, brats and hot dogs for the kids, lamb kababs, chicken sate, salmon, 2 types of potato salad, about a dozen other salads and sides. white bread. home made raspberry barbeque sauce.


















post #769 of 1013
Thread Starter 
worship.gif
post #770 of 1013
several pics there need to become someone's profile.
post #771 of 1013
Hey sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has) but any recos for an electric smoker... cheap?

I see Piob has recommended the Cook Shack Smokette but I'm not spending $600+ on this.

There are models on like Amazon for like $100-200. What are the drawbacks at this price point?
post #772 of 1013
Thread Starter 
post #773 of 1013
I'm thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse-Controller/dp/B003XJGEGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343791969&sr=8-2&keywords=masterbuilt+smoker

Is smoking with charcoal really much better given how you have to monitor the temp? I've read that with electric, you have less of a smoke ring, but it can be helped by putting some charcoal in with the wood chips.

I grill with charcoal because I dont mind the time difference vs propane because of the taste difference, and I enjoy the ritual of it. It's relaxing to sit outside next to the grill and read a book.

Smoking takes so long. I feel it would go beyond just reading a book outside. I might be on the computer, or watching TV, or talking to people and feel called away to babysit the smoke. On the other hand, automatic smoking with an airtight door seems so removed and charmless.
post #774 of 1013

Globetrotter, What an amazing spread!  Very jealous!  I hope your guests appreciate it.

post #775 of 1013
Also, any recommended rubs, and what they go best on?

This seems useful:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/woods.html
post #776 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Okay, all done. Excellent results for our first try! Btw, I say "our," as this really takes two people to make happen quickly and easily. Okay, so first, grinding the meat I've had seasoning. First time using the grinder, recipe called for fine, works perfectly. All metal items had been in the freezer, and you'll see the bowl I ground into is sitting in ice.














Next, the "primary bind." Added roasted, minced poblano peppers, cilantro, one cup ice cold water. Let mix for one minute or so, until it amalgamates well.





All mixed:





Next, we made a little patty and fried it to check taste. You can always re-mix with more seasoning if needed. It was great, so time to stuff it into the hopper of the sausage stuffer:





Slide several feet of hog casing on, and time to actually make my first sausage:





You can see the hog casings floating in water in the bowl and I think this shot gives a good view of the action. Here's my first full casing. I was packing the meat too tight so the casing burst at one point. No problem, I just filled the rest, squeezed some meat out at the burst, and tied it off and put the meat back into the hopper. You can see the knots. The other two casings filled without incident, as now I have the feel of the thing.





Here's all the sausage, nicely linked. Will sit overnight in the fridge to dry, then will freeze most of it, leaving just enough in the fridge for Monday's dinner



Bump of my original sausage batch.

Reggs, electric is where it's at. I get a fantastic smoke ring and never have to fiddle with it even in a 12-14 hour brisket smoke. I put a big packer cut, 12# plus brisket in before bed and let it smoke unattended all night.
post #777 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

Globetrotter, What an amazing spread!  Very jealous!  I hope your guests appreciate it.

thanks - I got a lot of good feedback. its our big entertaining for the year.
post #778 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post

I'm thinking of getting this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse-Controller/dp/B003XJGEGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343791969&sr=8-2&keywords=masterbuilt+smoker
Is smoking with charcoal really much better given how you have to monitor the temp? I've read that with electric, you have less of a smoke ring, but it can be helped by putting some charcoal in with the wood chips.
I grill with charcoal because I dont mind the time difference vs propane because of the taste difference, and I enjoy the ritual of it. It's relaxing to sit outside next to the grill and read a book.
Smoking takes so long. I feel it would go beyond just reading a book outside. I might be on the computer, or watching TV, or talking to people and feel called away to babysit the smoke. On the other hand, automatic smoking with an airtight door seems so removed and charmless.

I enjoy the smoking, but it really is something I can only do once or twice a year. I end up with burned hands and sore theighs (from all the squatting) but it makes me feel like I did something. I think the electric would be easier to do more often, but there would be less "connection"

also, my boxes were 70 bucks a piece.
post #779 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Bump of my original sausage batch.
Reggs, electric is where it's at. I get a fantastic smoke ring and never have to fiddle with it even in a 12-14 hour brisket smoke. I put a big packer cut, 12# plus brisket in before bed and let it smoke unattended all night.

very cool pio
post #780 of 1013
I ordered this collection of wood:

31cVuWke%2BAL.jpg

It's sawdust. Grains of rice are larger than this. Is this even usable? I should have my smoker within the week. Any recommendations on rubs, or books I should buy? I can't wait to try it out.

I would like to try sausage, but I don't want to buy a grinder, and working with casings seems gross. I think after a few weeks I'll put a craigslist ad up for someone else to make sausage, and I'll smoke it for a cut of the sausage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats