or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats - Page 16

post #226 of 1013
now I am trying to figure out if I can make some reasonable approximation of that with my crock pot...
post #227 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
now I am trying to figure out if I can make some reasonable approximation of that with my crock pot...

You can. Put about a 1/4 cup (or more) of kosher salt on a nice butt. Put in 1/4 cup of liquid smoke and 1/4 cup water. Put on low and check back in eight hours. You want it tender enough to shred with a fork. Take it out, shred it up and sort out any nasty fat pieces. Add some of the cooking liquid back in to make it as salty as you want.

It's won't have the "bark" from a smoker, but should give you tender, tasty pork.
post #228 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
You can. Put about a 1/4 cup (or more) of kosher salt on a nice butt. Put in 1/4 cup of liquid smoke and 1/4 cup water. Put on low and check back in eight hours. You want it tender enough to shred with a fork. Take it out, shred it up and sort out any nasty fat pieces. Add some of the cooking liquid back in to make it as salty as you want.

It's won't have the "bark" from a smoker, but should give you tender, tasty pork.

I'll probably put more than salt on it but it should work...I could probably get by with using a vacation light timer to start the crockpot an hour or two after I leave for work. Would there be any point to seeing how low of a temperature my oven can maintain?
post #229 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
I'll probably put more than salt on it but it should work...I could probably get by with using a vacation light timer to start the crockpot an hour or two after I leave for work. Would there be any point to seeing how low of a temperature my oven can maintain?

Actually, I was wondering if you only had a crock the way you worded it, and not an oven. Oven is better. Here is a Hawaiian recipe for Kaluha Pork:

3# pork butt
2 cup water
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 cup salt.

Place butt fat side up in a roasting pan. Add water and liquid smoke, pouring it over the meat. Rub on the salt, tent tightly with foil (or if it's a covered roasting pan, put cover on tightly). Place in pre-heated 400 degree oven for 3 hours, check for fork tenderness. Remove when fork tender and shred.
post #230 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
loss of kitchenaid blade
make that loss of blade and large hole plate. motherf*cker. replacing both plus shipping is almost the price of a new grinder unit on amazon.
post #231 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
make that loss of blade and large hole plate. motherf*cker.
replacing both plus shipping is almost the price of a new grinder unit on amazon.

Man, that sucks.

Check out www.sausagemaker.com and www.meatprocessingproducts.com for replacement parts and/or a new grinder. I have the dedicated 3/4 horse #8 grinder from the Sausage Maker, but I bought it off the other website for far less. New, not refurbed and works great.
post #232 of 1013
thanks for the links, will check those out
post #233 of 1013
Just downloaded Heston Blumenthal's 'In search of perfection', and in the first episode he makes bangers and mash. I think the end result looks pretty amazing (you can skip the mash potato part if you like Piobaire):



Most of the episode is on youtube, part 1 and part 2.
post #234 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homme View Post
Just downloaded Heston Blumenthal's 'In search of perfection', and in the first episode he makes bangers and mash. I think the end result looks pretty amazing (you can skip the mash potato part if you like Piobaire):



Most of the episode is on youtube, part 1 and part 2.

Thanks for the links; will watch this weekend. I love bangers and have wanted to make my own, but you put a hefty portion of carbs into bangers. Those do look perfectly cooked though

IMO, that's one of the true secrets of unleashing the potential of sausage; proper cooking. Medium heat (just high enough to caramelize the casing) and actually use an insta-read thermometer. Pork to150, poultry to 160. Don't rupture the casing, keep all that juciy fat inside.
post #235 of 1013
what's your preferred sausage cooking method?

I usually start covered with a little liquid for a few minutes and then uncover and let the liquid boil off (or pour out excess if I overdid it) and go until the casings look right.
post #236 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
what's your preferred sausage cooking method?

I usually start covered with a little liquid for a few minutes and then uncover and let the liquid boil off (or pour out excess if I overdid it) and go until the casings look right.

That's pretty much exactly what I do. Starting covered is important so the top half meat starts cooking too.
post #237 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homme View Post
Just downloaded Heston Blumenthal's 'In search of perfection', and in the first episode he makes bangers and mash. I think the end result looks pretty amazing (you can skip the mash potato part if you like Piobaire):



Most of the episode is on youtube, part 1 and part 2.

The youtube vids are blocked due to copyright.
post #238 of 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
That's pretty much exactly what I do. Starting covered is important so the top half meat starts cooking too.

How do you use the thermometer without piercing the casing too badly?

I have a thermometer on a wire, would it make sense to put that in a sausage at the start of cooking instead of jabbing an instant read into the link when it starts to look right?
post #239 of 1013
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post
How do you use the thermometer without piercing the casing too badly?

I have a thermometer on a wire, would it make sense to put that in a sausage at the start of cooking instead of jabbing an instant read into the link when it starts to look right?

When I think it's getting near done, I use a Thermapen on the side part, as that will seal back up after a few seconds. Once the casing in caramelized, it doesn't seal back up as well. The main thing is don't use say, a fork, to flip the sausage around, etc. It seems a lot of people purposely pierce the casing to let the fat out. That just gives the sausage the texture of cardboard.
post #240 of 1013
I finally put the 3 pounds of pork butt I picked up Monday to use. Slow roasted at 250 for 5 hours after a flash broil to get that great fat crust. I rubbed (maybe not the right word--I'm new to pork terminology) it with honey, crushed pistachios, olive oil, minced garlic, cinnamon,cloves, rosemary and fennel seeds.

Out of the oven:


After a 20 minute rest:


Dinner tonight looks like it's going to be 2000 calories of pork.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats