or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats - Page 15

post #211 of 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
Second, you just make sure all your dinner plates look like this:



Everything in balance

hey pio, after "constructively criticizing" your brussels sprouts plate, i missed the opportunity to praise this one. great looking presentation of a very homey dish. Everything looks just like what it is; everything looks like it belongs together; and everything looks really delicious.
post #212 of 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
BDC, looks great! Nice bark on that. You just made me put tri-tip on the "to smoke" list. Still think it'll be pork butt next weekend though, as I've yet to smoke a whole butt.

i wouldn't recommend tri-tip for a long smoke ... in fact, there's not much beef that i do recommend for that (brisket being the exception). seems to me teh sweetness of pork is a better complement. but i do like tri-tip with a brief smoke. check out the keller thread for a killer recipe ... basically, you sear the meat over direct, then move it indirect (with wood chips) for 20-25 minutes. you get a really nice smoke tang, but it still tastes like beef.
post #213 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
hey pio, after "constructively criticizing" your brussels sprouts plate, i missed the opportunity to praise this one. great looking presentation of a very homey dish. Everything looks just like what it is; everything looks like it belongs together; and everything looks really delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
i wouldn't recommend tri-tip for a long smoke ... in fact, there's not much beef that i do recommend for that (brisket being the exception). seems to me teh sweetness of pork is a better complement. but i do like tri-tip with a brief smoke. check out the keller thread for a killer recipe ... basically, you sear the meat over direct, then move it indirect (with wood chips) for 20-25 minutes. you get a really nice smoke tang, but it still tastes like beef.

I'm not a tri-tip expert and share your concern about most beef cuts and a long smoke. What's the fat/connective tissue level? I think that's the answer to how long to smoke it. Also, my smoker is not like most others, in that it's designed to retain moisture, so I can be a bit more daring with the Cook Shack one vs. one that has a strong draft, like BDC's Brinkman.

No worries about criticizing my photos. They are very amateur and taken very quickly, on the way from the stove to the dining table They come out as they come out.
post #214 of 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
I'm not a tri-tip expert and share your concern about most beef cuts and a long smoke. What's the fat/connective tissue level? I think that's the answer to how long to smoke it.

fat/connective tissue is relatively light (though it is better to find one with the exterior fat cap intact). i serve it at 125-135, depending on the guests (also, it's a tapered cut, so there will be some medium-well there for the heathens).
post #215 of 1023
had homemade sopressata last night that was about the best thing on earth.
post #216 of 1023
My weekend sausage story (not homemade): went to a bistro Friday night that was serving REAL andouillette -- tripe-stuffed sausage. don't know how they stuff them: it was braised tripe, rolled and cut and stuffed in a skin. very aromatic and perfect with hot mustard and a bottle of beaujolais.
post #217 of 1023
look at this home made sausage......



cheesy beef burrito stuffed inside.
post #218 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Okay, have not smoked a pork butt (shoulder) yet. So, I stopped at our new, local Oriental market and got a beautiful 8.5 pound butt for a mere $1.50 a pound! Put a light coating of Dijon mustard on it, then a rub that included brown sugar, celery seed, black pepper, onion powder, ground juniper berries, and a few other things. Lots of kosher salt.





Tossed into the smoker, set at 225, and we'll see what we have tomorrow morning. Yeah, this smoker is that easy to use.

post #219 of 1023
Pio I swear if you ever decide to sell homemade sausage on B&S I will kop instantly. Shit if I could set paypal to autopay you whenever you decide to ship I fckin would. damn that sausage looks delicious. Can't wait to see how the pork butt turns out
post #220 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertorex View Post
Pio I swear if you ever decide to sell homemade sausage on B&S I will kop instantly. Shit if I could set paypal to autopay you whenever you decide to ship I fckin would. damn that sausage looks delicious. Can't wait to see how the pork butt turns out

Thanks man

Last temp. check it was up to 178 and I'm shooting for 195. Is that low and slow or what? It's been in 12 hours now and not done.

Stay tuned.
post #221 of 1023
Thread Starter 
So, after 14.5 hours of cooking, it hit 195. Here it is showing a nice "bark." Needless to say, the aroma was heavenly.



We sorted through it to toss any egregious fat pockets and then fork shredded or "pulled" it.



Here's all that was left. Just came right off the bone, as you can see. Dinner tonight should be mouth watering



Now to portion it out into vacuum sealer bags and freeze. Will make great weekday meals.
post #222 of 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
So, after 14.5 hours of cooking, it hit 195. Here it is showing a nice "bark." Needless to say, the aroma was heavenly.
...
Now to portion it out into vacuum sealer bags and freeze. Will make great weekday meals.

That looks . Please don't drown it in sauce.
post #223 of 1023
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNW View Post
That looks . Please don't drown it in sauce.

Not a chance that would happen. I made a "pull sauce" from a recipe I got off the Cook Shack forums. Thought I posted it somewhere? Four cups apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, some brown sugar, mustard power, garlic, bay leaves, ground ginger.

So I sliced a jumbo sweet onion, caramelized it. Put some of my dry rub, a pat of butter and a little of the pull sauce, dinner portion of pork in the pan. Had with some no-carb biscuits and Peay Syrah to drink
post #224 of 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
So, after 14.5 hours of cooking, it hit 195. Here it is showing a nice "bark." Needless to say, the aroma was heavenly.



i'm drooling
post #225 of 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post
This inspired me to buy 3lbs of pork butt at the butcher today. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow night I'll be enjoying it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats