• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
We needed something to contrast the Bourbon thread. Tried this out last night: http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/sea...ducts/3604.jpg Lacked the depth of Zacapa 23. Not very sweet and a bit smoky on the finish. A bit of a vanilla as well but without the sweetness it was overpowered by the smokiness. Not bad but I won't grab another bottle after this one.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
We needed something to contrast the Bourbon thread. Tried this out last night:

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/sea...ducts/3604.jpg

Lacked the depth of Zacapa 23. Not very sweet and a bit smoky on the finish. A bit of a vanilla as well but without the sweetness it was overpowered by the smokiness. Not bad but I won't grab another bottle after this one.

Go for El Dorado 15, it balances the sweet and smoke better.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big rum fan and have an extensive collection, and participate regularly in rum tastings (with friends who are also interested in this spirit).

El Dorado rums are great.

The Aniversario is a good rum but the *prior* releases were much better than the current offering. I did a side by side this past Sunday and the latest bottles are thinner and hotter than the older ones.

Inconsistency is a common problem in the rum industry where many labels are purchased rums from stocks of existing distilleries and where the brands to not distill their own rums.

A surprise stand out at this last tasting was Ron Botran Soleara -- inexpensive, rich, sweet but with some spice. All around, very nice.

The tasting included about 35 rums, among them were many "usual suspects" present for comparison. Rums included:

- The old Zaya (a favorite)
- old versions of the Zacapa 23 and new versions of it
- El Dorado 12, 15 and 21
- Diplomatico Exclusivo (a favorite)
- various Plantation rum offerings back into the 1980s
- Sea Wynde
- Angustora
- Clemant
- Neisson Rhum Agricole 'Reserve Speciale'
- Flor de Cana 'Centenario Gold'
- Several Murray McDavid bottlings
- etc. etc. etc.

For those buyers on the fence about trying a good rum, the Ron Botran Solera may be a good place to start. (Botran makes Zacapa.)

Personally, I'm not sensitive to whether one spirit costs $10 or $20 dollars more than another (on a by the glass average, that's not significant to me), but if you aren't ready to spring for the Zacapa Centenario (the so-called "23" ... no longer, regrettably, 23 years old -- if it ever truly was), which costs about $40, this $25 or so rum is a great option -- harder to find than Zacapa, but a good option.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Girardian
I'm a big rum fan and have an extensive collection, and participate regularly in rum tastings (with friends who are also interested in this spirit).

El Dorado rums are great.

The Aniversario is a good rum but the *prior* releases were much better than the current offering. I did a side by side this past Sunday and the latest bottles are thinner and hotter than the older ones.

Inconsistency is a common problem in the rum industry where many labels are purchased rums from stocks of existing distilleries and where the brands to not distill their own rums.

A surprise stand out at this last tasting was Ron Botran Soleara -- inexpensive, rich, sweet but with some spice. All around, very nice.

The tasting included about 35 rums, among them were many "usual suspects" present for comparison. Rums included:

- The old Zaya (a favorite)
- old versions of the Zacapa 23 and new versions of it
- El Dorado 12, 15 and 21
- Diplomatico Exclusivo (a favorite)
- various Plantation rum offerings back into the 1980s
- Sea Wynde
- Angustora
- Clemant
- Neisson Rhum Agricole 'Reserve Speciale'
- Flor de Cana 'Centenario Gold'
- Several Murray McDavid bottlings
- etc. etc. etc.

For those buyers on the fence about trying a good rum, the Ron Botran Solera may be a good place to start. (Botran makes Zacapa.)

Personally, I'm not sensitive to whether one spirit costs $10 or $20 dollars more than another (on a by the glass average, that's not significant to me), but if you aren't ready to spring for the Zacapa Centenario (the so-called "23" ... no longer, regrettably, 23 years old -- if it ever truly was), which costs about $40, this $25 or so rum is a great option -- harder to find than Zacapa, but a good option.

I love the Plantation series, especially the old Jamaican 8yr (not the current 1998 vintage) and the Nicaragua. The rums I have open now are (there are more in storage):
El Dorado 15
Zacapa 23 (new version)
Zaya (new version)
Sea Wynde (ugh...)
Appleton Estate Rum 12
Mt. Gay Extra Old (found it for $26, bought half a case)
Barbancourt 15
Barbancourt 8 (like more than 15)
Plantation Jamaica 1998
Plantation Jamaica 8yr
Plantation Trinidad
Plantation Nicaragua

My favorites are the El Dorado 15, Zacapa, Jamaica 8yr and Barbancourt 8.

I have not tried the Murray McDavid as their price rivals or tops a good bottle of scotch and I have heard mixed things. I can be swayed though. What are your impressions of them Girardian?

ACDoyle

Reaction score
I miss the old Zaya, down to my last 3 bottles. The new Zaya is good, but the vanilla flavors are a little too strong.
I may get flack for this but a good inexpensive Rum is the Bacardi 8 Anos (around $18/btl) - very smooth

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Go for El Dorado 15, it balances the sweet and smoke better.
El Dorado 15 is one of my favorites. I'm trying to branch out into new bottles and got the recommendation from one of they guys at the store.
I'm a big rum fan and have an extensive collection, and participate regularly in rum tastings (with friends who are also interested in this spirit). El Dorado rums are great. The Aniversario is a good rum but the *prior* releases were much better than the current offering. I did a side by side this past Sunday and the latest bottles are thinner and hotter than the older ones. Inconsistency is a common problem in the rum industry where many labels are purchased rums from stocks of existing distilleries and where the brands to not distill their own rums. A surprise stand out at this last tasting was Ron Botran Soleara -- inexpensive, rich, sweet but with some spice. All around, very nice. The tasting included about 35 rums, among them were many "usual suspects" present for comparison. Rums included: - The old Zaya (a favorite) - old versions of the Zacapa 23 and new versions of it - El Dorado 12, 15 and 21 - Diplomatico Exclusivo (a favorite) - various Plantation rum offerings back into the 1980s - Sea Wynde - Angustora - Clemant - Neisson Rhum Agricole 'Reserve Speciale' - Flor de Cana 'Centenario Gold' - Several Murray McDavid bottlings - etc. etc. etc. For those buyers on the fence about trying a good rum, the Ron Botran Solera may be a good place to start. (Botran makes Zacapa.) Personally, I'm not sensitive to whether one spirit costs $10 or $20 dollars more than another (on a by the glass average, that's not significant to me), but if you aren't ready to spring for the Zacapa Centenario (the so-called "23" ... no longer, regrettably, 23 years old -- if it ever truly was), which costs about $40, this $25 or so rum is a great option -- harder to find than Zacapa, but a good option.
Never seen the Boltran but I'll keep an eye out for it. How were the Flor de Cana Centenario, Clement, El Dorado 12 and 21?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
, but if you aren't ready to spring for the Zacapa Centenario (the so-called "23" ... no longer, regrettably, 23 years old -- if it ever truly was), which costs about $40, this $25 or so rum is a great option -- harder to find than Zacapa, but a good option.
it was never 23 year old, it is mixture of different ages the rsultig average beng 23 years. but looking for agood cheap rum, ocumare is hard to beat.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big rum drinker, but in my limited experience, the best I've had so far is Vizcaya 21.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dumped the Anniversario on a friend and picked up a new bottle of El Dorado 15. Will be cracking into that tonight!

The big store around here just started stocking the Plantation rums. Anything in the new crop worth trying out?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Dumped the Anniversario on a friend and picked up a new bottle of El Dorado 15. Will be cracking into that tonight!

The big store around here just started stocking the Plantation rums. Anything in the new crop worth trying out?

I like Jamaica and Nicaragua. The Jamaica 8yr is better than the 1998 in my opinion, but I wouldn't turn down either of them. If you are going to get only one though, I would suggest a more exotic one (Nicaragua, Guyana, etc.).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I just went to open the El Dorado 15 and the ******* cork broke!
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

chas

Reaction score
I am a fan of Martinique Rums (Rhums) - such as Clement.

Montrachet

Reaction score
So the wife is being sent to that old pirate haven known as The Bahamas for a conference and I get to tag along. I don't know much about rum, so I'd love some suggestions for what to try while I'm down there. I imagine I'd be able to get some of the things that have already been mentioned here pretty easily, do you think?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess you guys are too good for sailor jerry's

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huge Zaya fan myself, old and new. I still have 4 bottles of the Guatemalan that I'll drink about one a a year of, but I enjoy the new one as well.

Also have Zacapa, Diplomatico, and Mount Gay XO open at home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads