• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late Beethoven Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is for all your thoughts re: the late period words of Beethoven, defined as:

Cello Sonatas Op. 102, 1 & 2
Piano sonatas Op. 101, 106 (Hammerklavier), 109, 110 & 111
Bagatelles, Op. 119 & 126
Diabelli Variations, Op. 120
Missa Solemnis, Op. 123
Symphony No. 9, Op. 125*
String Quartet Op. 127, 130, 131, 132, & 135.

*Please keep all comments about the overexposed "Ode to Joy" to an absolute minimum, unless you have something original to say.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Mozart was better.

This is said out of ignorance, and therefore I cannot respond with rancor. Some day, you will understand. And if you don't, oh well.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mozart was better.

Originally Posted by Manton
This is said out of ignorance, and therefore I cannot respond with rancor. Some day, you will understand. And if you don't, oh well.

True words Manton.

I really love the scherzo in the 9th. Dvorak 9 was my favorite for a long time (talk about overplayed 4th movements) and the influence is quite striking.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Mozart's music feels like masturbatory cerebral grandstanding to me, partially felt from the tone of Amadeus, the accuracy of which I'm unaware. The introspective gusto of Beethoven is more enriching and moving in my opinion, but I listen to Mozart more because he provides better noise for a creative work environment. Beethoven > Mozart

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
String Quartet Op. 127, 130, 131, 132, & 135.

For a long time op. 135 (F Maj) was my favorite string quartet, simply because I loved the insanity of the scherzo and the gorgeousness of the slow movement (the first few bars following the return of the parallel major might be the absolute prettiest music he ever penned.) I was a holdout on op. 131 (c# min) because it took me a long time (like, years) to "get" the central variations movement, but it's assumed the role of my favorite quartet. The archetectonic design (three "tentpole" movements with two shorter, more lyrical movements and two more that are essentially interludes) makes it the shortest-seeming long piece of music there is. Op 132 (a min) might be my new second favorite. I love the way it dances between austere abstraction and operaticism (recitatives and overtures) and hyper-expresssiveness. Even the explicit programmaticism of the Heiliger Dankgessang aside, is it possible to hear the section over the A drone in the second movement and not be reminded of some gauzy childhood memory?

I actually don't own any of Beethoven's late piano sonatas on CD. What performances are good?

*Please keep all comments about the overexposed "Ode to Joy" to an absolute minimum, unless you have something original to say.
My absolute favorite piece of music ever, overexposed or otherwise. The assurance of being pulled back to variations of that populist little hummable melody gives Beethoven license to explore the further avant-garde reaches between variations. Unlike something by Mozart, it's not music where you can't change one note without ruining it (I would probably excise the entire fugue in the string section), but it has a slapdash brilliance that captures the text perfectly. Absolutely the most bizarre and inscrutable and transcendant symphonic warhorse there is.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mozart was better.

I thought you were a jazz guy.

Great music is best left to your elders.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mozart was better.

Too bad Kanye West couldn't be there at Beethoven's funeral procession. Right, Conne?

I mean, surely Mozart's was one of the best of all time, right? Oh, wait... he didn't have one!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was trying to rile you up.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like Mozart much more than Beethoven, but I would admit that Beethoven was the better composer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads