• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What color shirt and tie would go with gray suit?

slacker4life

Reaction score
can people give me some ideas on what would be a good color to wear with a gray suit, and what color shoes?

Corniche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slacker4life
can people give me some ideas on what would be a good color to wear with a gray suit, and what color shoes?

Pink is what better matches a grey suit for me, never blue!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Virtually anything. But for the best way(s) to wear grey just google "Gianni Agnelli".

Also, colour is important, but texture, brightness, and weight are equally if not more important when combining garments.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, anything, and anything. I love blue with grey especially.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Just about any shirt and tie as long as they work with each other. I suppose you probably would want to avoid shirts that are darker than the suit.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I have a lot of grey suits. Colors I wear with them include:

Lavender
Pink
Blue
Yellow

And combinations thereof, depending on the tie.

Grey goes with anything. I do like blue/purple/lavender/pink with it particularly.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need darker color ties with light-medium gray suits if you want to have the same sharpness-factor of those around you wearing darker suits. I suggest black or black-striped ties. if you go with pink, red, yellow, etc like other posters recommended, you will look too casual compared to the guy in a darker suit next to you.
b5a1d6c7.jpg

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
never blue!

Originally Posted by Svenn
You need darker color ties with light-medium gray suits if you want to have the same sharpness-factor of those around you wearing darker suits. I suggest black or black-striped ties. if you go with pink, red, yellow, etc like other posters recommended, you will look too casual compared to the guy in a darker suit next to you.
2zefqyt.jpg

gsugsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Corniche
Pink is what better matches a grey suit for me, never blue!

Never blue? Since when?

MrNick

Reaction score
What would be a good shirt/tie combo for this gray suit? Most my dress shirts are blue, and I don't have a tie yet. I'm just now building up my professional wardrobe, I need to buy some more shirts and ties.

DSC00912-1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads