• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to buy used watches?

BBdude

Reaction score
I'll be the first to admit I love a nice watch, but spending over $1K on one - I just can't stomach. I have even searched some of the certified used watches in the jewelery stores near me, but nothing that I recognize for under $1K.

Does everyone here really buy an IWC/Omega for a few $K's? Some of you most have great jobs to do this!

If there aren't secrets to getting a nice new/used IWC/Omega (my favs) - what are some of the best brands under $1K?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those with a passion for watches will spend $2, 3, 5, even 10k+ on a timepiece. However, I understand wanting one of those prestigious labels for less (contrary to WIS belief, it is OK to want a watch just for a nice label. Stainless arm candy, if you ll).

Two things I'd try: first, look at quartz watches. Watch lovers will typically only buy mechanical, but if you just want the nice looking watch, many brands such as Omega offer quartz versions of their most popular pieces. Also, look at certain vintage examples from Omega, possibly IWC online. Some of these may not be fully original (repaired with non-original parts, etc), but some good examples can be had for less than $1k. Talk to someone who knows vintage though, as it's tricky for those who don't to navigate it.

Boston Tweed

Reaction score
I have bought/sold a number of watches on Timezone which is more or less the Styleforum of watches catering to watch lovers. They have two boards similar to Styleforum's B&S which can be great resources:

This is the board for watches < $5,000.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=32

Typically used watches sell on here for ~50% of retail as a rule of thumb, so you can get into some good deals.

BBdude

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice thus far - some of the Omega Quartz watches aren't bad at all.

I really love Panerai's the most (a few in the watch Appreciation thread - WOW), but I suspect they're even tough to obtain used and looking good for &lt;$1K

For timezone I get a Forbidden error?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can find Pastek Philip on eBay

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
Thanks for all the advice thus far - some of the Omega Quartz watches aren't bad at all.

I really love Panerai's the most (a few in the watch Appreciation thread - WOW), but I suspect they're even tough to obtain used and looking good for <$1K

For timezone I get a Forbidden error?

If memory serves me correctly, you need a certain number of days registered/posts posted in order to access the sales corner.

Especially if buying pre-owned, I don't think quartz watches hold value as well, which is good for you.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You can find Pastek Philip on eBay

hey thats razist agaisnt ashins maufactureres...

then again the really good fake (or fake/frankenstein vintages) come out of south america sellers on ebayz....

Corniche

Reaction score

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for tz salescorner. I've purchased 10 or so watches from there. Also check out the watchnet and WUS sales forums

dl

sfo423

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boston Tweed

Typically used watches sell on here for ~50% of retail as a rule of thumb, so you can get into some good deals.

If only sellers had your rationale. I need a Transatlantique XXI Flyback at 50% off.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
some of the Omega Quartz watches aren't bad at all.
I'm very happy with my x-33.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads