• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic, not that bad

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic gets a bad rap here for some valid reasons, but if you give it a chance you might be pleasantly surprised.
Here are the top reasons why BR deserves a second look

1. Slim fit shirts are actually slim. The slim fit shirts are about 2-3' slimmer in the chest than J.Crew.
2. Medium Tall/Extra small/31-34 pants/...: They offer more sizes than any other mall brand in the US.
3. Sales: BR has amazing sales. I have bought socks for a dollar, a %100 cashmere sweaters for $15, Made in the USA belts for $8, Ties for $7, a full suit for $80, leather gloves $15...

Anyone Agree?

stylewithease

Reaction score
I'm a student so I'm usually stuck to the Gap/Uniqlo/H&M s of the world with the occasional RL, J. Crew, or Lacoste. I buy BR stuff when it's on deep discounts. I like their sweaters more than the Gap and Uniqlo ones I own and they can be slimmer on the body but all clothing can be a little slimmer. I haven't really tried anything else. I tried on their pants and the pair I want (tailored fit i think) hasn't gone on as deep a discount as their 'relaxed fit' stuff. I've heard that their socks are decent so I'm looking at buying a couple pairs.

BrooklynHighpost

Reaction score
Don't know about how slim the shirts are since I havn't tried BR stuff in a long time, but regardless, their design and color are ugly as hell. The designs are getting close to Express stuff.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic: your source for the ultimate in metrosexual excitement
sweatermbt.jpg
br690616-00vliv01.jpg
br690645-00vliv01.jpg
br690641-01vliv01.jpg

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynHighpost
Don't know about how slim the shirts are since I havn't tried BR stuff in a long time, but regardless, their design and color are ugly as hell. The designs are getting close to Express stuff.

+1
I used to buy a ton of stuff at BR, but when every season, they seem to just keep selling the same striped shirts and argyle sweaters (that are getting increasingly ugly), I've given up. And while I know we're talking about the stuff on sale, the prices have gone way up over the past few years, they now want $79.95 for their shirts at full price, I can get a BB slimfit dress shirt for the same price and I know it will be something I'll be able to wear for years, unlike what I'd get at BR. There are some good buys there on when the stuff gets deeply discounted, but it seems the nicer stuff tends not to get discounted as much.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's true, the colors have become increasingly garish over the past few years. And some of the sweaters just look girly. Unlike their sister store Gap, they haven't embraced the workwear trend, and so their stuff comes off, to me, as decidedly unrugged and sort of disco dressy.

And yes, I used to shop there too but increasingly found that I hated what I was buying! So I guess my question is, why shop some place that is only "not that bad."

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Banana Republic: your source for the ultimate in metrosexual excitement

Metro... ? Or ...

awxg

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I scored some slim fit cotton dress pants for CDN$20. Can't complain.

I don't like their knitwear fwiw.

m7ia

Reaction score
Just bought their wool trench in light grey. $275 down to 165 after the 40% off thing they had every Wed. in Oct., and I had a $100 gift card to make it $65. Not bad, it's double-breasted, belted, epaulets, fits me pretty well. It only has one inner pocket though, which is somewhat annoying.

Also, I liked a few of the merino argyle sweaters this season; only bought them at discount, of course. Their sale rack is pretty decent usually, when a sport coat gets there it's marked down heavily. The cotton pants almost always go on sale, and you can get them for 30 USD.

Never tried any of their button downs, polos, or t-shirts... how's the fit?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
So I guess my question is, why shop some place that is only "not that bad."

Good point. Banana Republic pieces are never "Fun", but they get the job done.

PattyC

Reaction score
I love Banana Republic, decent quality at good prices. I'm also tall and thin and find their medium sized jackets and knits are the perfect length and have a slim cuts as opposed to being too wide or big.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Banana Republic gets a bad rap here for some valid reasons, but if you give it a chance you might be pleasantly surprised.
Here are the top reasons why BR deserves a second look

1. Slim fit shirts are actually slim. The slim fit shirts are about 2-3' slimmer in the chest than J.Crew.
2. Medium Tall/Extra small/31-34 pants/...: They offer more sizes than any other mall brand in the US.
3. Sales: BR has amazing sales. I have bought socks for a dollar, a %100 cashmere sweaters for $15, Made in the USA belts for $8, Ties for $7, a full suit for $80, leather gloves $15...

Anyone Agree?

If you get these deep discounts, they may have merit. However, their products don't last long.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Exactly what we need, another mall brand threak on the first page.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We only have J.Crew. Just be glad there is no American Eagle thread.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before joining SF, I used to shop almost exclusively at BR. I'll agree that the designs really haven't changed in years, and I have grown to truly despise half-zip sweaters. Yes, the colors have gotten worse, too. A quick look through the website and I can't see anything that sets it apart from JC Penney. The slim fit shirts fit well, but honestly, the materials suck. I can remember several shirts looking horrible after one or two washes.

I still have and wear a couple chunky merino sweaters and a Monogram suit, but that's about it. Oh, and their pima cotton briefs <3.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads