• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Tuczeks

Tabman

Reaction score
Hi there - new to the forum. There seem to be some very knowledgeable people here.

Does anyone know anything about the rise and demise of Nikolaus Tuczek of Clifford Street (apart from what one can glean from the limited amount on Cleverley's website)? I understand that after it folded, the business (such as it was) was bought by Lobb, but many customers found their way to Cleverley who had been their shop manager (and chief "designer" - sorry, realise this is the wrong word) for many years until 1958.

Thanks in anticipation!

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried asking David Saxby of The Chap? I think he actually mentioned the name when I was in his shop last Sunday. (He answers more serious questions as well, I believe.) http://www.thechap.net/sartorial.html [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Mr Saxby, proprietor of London's finest vintage clothing outlet, Old Hat, is The Chap's sartorial agony uncle. Whether you are unsure which button to leave undone on your trousers, how many pairs of spats to take on holiday or whether a double-breasted waistcoat can be manufactured from aluminium, Mr Saxby is bound to know the answer. Should you have an insatiable urge to browse Britain's largest collection of hand-made silk cravats and a first class collection of vintage tweed, worsted and cavalry twill, Mr Saxby's charming assistants await you at number 66, Fulham High Street, London SW6 3LQ Send your questions to David Saxby, The Chap, PO Box 39216, London SE3 0XS or [email protected]
[/FONT]

andrebaron

Reaction score
All I know is that vintage Tuzeks command a premium when they appear on the open resale market.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tabman

Reaction score
Gents - many thanks.

I popped in to see Gorge at Cleverley's and he told me some fascinating anecdotes, along with some more general points about his craft. An amazing place and I'm saving hard for my first pair.

I believe the business of Tuczek was taken over by Lobb, although many customers went to Cleverley.

I shall try The Chap also.

Maya

Reaction score
Hi Tabman,

I am a relative of the Tuczek shoe makers. My great grandfather was Anton Tuczek. Why are you interested in the history and also what else have you found out? I have various bits of info on theTuczeks but mostly related to family tree etc but also on when the family came to the UK.

Please feel free to email me.

Maya

Reaction score
Also, if anybody hears of any Tuczek para for sale. Please let me know! I know there are a pair on German e bay for 2800 euros but sadly can't afford but would love to buy my Mum as a piece of family history!

Tabman

Reaction score
Maya I have responded to your PM, and also emailed your mother. Nice to hear from you.

Gekko Style

Reaction score
Hello People...

Hummm... So the Tuczek's... Well, as everyone knows Tuczek is the nirvana for any high end shoe aficionado. I have several pairs of them, inherited obviously. One of these pairs is a very rare pair of golf shoes that I will soon put on sell on eBay (I do not play golf). The start price will be 5000 Euros (they are original Tuczek on a very rare golf varient and in excellent condition).

About Tuczek history I do not know much and I am VERY admired to observe that even his decedents near nothing know too about this excellent Master shoemaker. From the name Tuczek I bet it came from East Europe (land of great shoemakers now forgot...). Nevertheless maybe all this lack of information is what makes the Tuczek name so mysterious and sought...

To me the Tuczek name stands for:

The King of shoemakers and, the shoemaker of Kings.

Thank you...

Nicolette Greer

Reaction score
Hi, I'm typing on behalf of Nicolette Greer who's father was Anton Tuczek. She is trying to find out any information about her father and would be very grateful of any information you may have on the family.

Tabman & Maya: Please send us a PM so we can exchange an details that the other may have.

My Thanks on behalf of Nicolette

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is this really just an elaborate guerrilla marketing campaign for some ebay shoes?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Is this really just an elaborate guerrilla marketing campaign for some ebay shoes?

Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Seems likely.

You two are either dense or small, not that it makes a difference.
plain.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
You two are either dense or small, not that it makes a difference.
plain.gif

Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Probably both.

No doubt both. But thanks for illuminating the darkness in which we live, Tomasso.

rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads