or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A proposal to the moderators
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A proposal to the moderators - Page 4

post #46 of 60
in line with proposals, i'll throw one out there as well-- some may not like it, but i think it could make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of good pictures/ reading on the forum.

I propose a small quarterly fee, payable via paypal or other means, which would go to support the website-- and maybe, if the funds allowed, approving certain $$ for expenses for elected/ moderator appointed members to collect photos and interviews of personalities and goods in the tailored clothing industry. I would personally consider my money well spent for supporting things like that, to be enjoyed on the forum.
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
in line with proposals, i'll throw one out there as well-- some may not like it, but i think it could make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of good pictures/ reading on the forum.

I propose a small quarterly fee, payable via paypal or other means, which would go to support the website-- and maybe, if the funds allowed, approving certain $$ for expenses for elected/ moderator appointed members to collect photos and interviews of personalities and goods in the tailored clothing industry. I would personally consider my money well spent for supporting things like that, to be enjoyed on the forum.
Any time you want to pay me to go on a photosafari in Northampton, let me know. I can get time off pretty easily.
post #48 of 60
While I am sure that a fee concept will be challenged, I actually think it would be an interesting idea. Reading would always be free. You might give someone 60 days of free posting, and thereafter ask for a $15/yr fee for posting rights etc. It would change things, and I wouldn't want posting restricted to the 'haves'. The other thing that it would not do is acknowledge the mega-contributors, who make the site go - it seems silly for them to pay...
post #49 of 60
remember the uproar this caused last time this came up when someone suggested ernest should chip in....
post #50 of 60
I'd make this proposal to the moderators:

When someone signs up to be a "member",
Have the agreement note that anything written or posted here becomes Public Domain information. It is just the same as writing a letter to the newspaper editor, who then publishes it.

Damn a bunch of pissy prima donnas, throwing their weight around with threats of lawsuits that they know they will not win. Just a way of intimidation.
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley
I'd make this proposal to the moderators:

When someone signs up to be a "member",
Have the agreement note that anything written or posted here becomes Public Domain information. It is just the same as writing a letter to the newspaper editor, who then publishes it.

Damn a bunch of pissy prima donnas, throwing their weight around with threats of lawsuits that they know they will not win. Just a way of intimidation.
yeah and id tack it on retroactively too, suspend everyone, blast an email on to accept the conditions and (re)activate your account. will be a huge pain in the ass for us all, but at least J isnt gonna be sued by one of us who tries to pull this crap. "You go in alive, you come out dead, and it's your best friend that does it." - Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
yeah and id tack it on retroactively too, suspend everyone, blast an email on to accept the conditions and (re)activate your account. will be a huge pain in the ass for us all, but at least J isnt gonna be sued by one of us who tries to pull this crap.

"You go in alive, you come out dead, and it's your best friend that does it." - Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco

Exactly. Except that in this case, Mr. International Publisher well knows that he does not have a case of any kind. Except that he may be squirrely enough to pay some cash to some suck up family attorney to cause someone else a real bunch of aggrivation and expense. I bet he has more sense than to call a real attorney about the deal - he would not want to have to pay someone to tell him he was an idiot. He posted pictures of his shoes, for cripes sake. Perhaps publication rights to pictures of those shoes were copywrited to the designers of the shoes - he only had the right to wear and abuse them - not showcase or alter them for publication in any way. Look at what just happened to the guy in Calif who altered the XBox or Playstation.

I'm involved in one message board that has some real proprietary types of information. Lots of shared individual effort on developing investment ideas. All openly available to anyone who will take the time to read it and understand it. Guess what, the sign up agreement says that the posts become the copywrite property of the message board owner. Also, there is no edit, so that a goomba gone butterflies cannot just come in a wipe everything out.
post #53 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt
Ronnie-

I would tell you that you were a legend in your own mind, but you would need to have one to be one.

Matt

This is not Ronnie - he uses too many words that are unique to the UK - so I would guess a pom trying to be an Aussie. No Aussie would use the spelling "aye". Russell Street, perhaps?

Aus
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
Matt

This is not Ronnie - he uses too many words that are unique to the UK - so I would guess a pom trying to be an Aussie.

Aus,

Why not take a trip around the Commonwealth and guess again. Next try you can label me a rooinek if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
Russell Street, perhaps?

Perhaps I am Bunter mate. I think the level of troll paranoia is paramount to this thread's subject, wouldn't you agree?
post #55 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
Matt

This is not Ronnie - he uses too many words that are unique to the UK - so I would guess a pom trying to be an Aussie. No Aussie would use the spelling "aye". Russell Street, perhaps?

Aus

Right. He sounds artificial...like someone trying too hard. Almost 30 posts in one day? Hmmm....
post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunter
Aus,

Why not take a trip around the Commonwealth and guess again. Next try you can label me a rooinek if you like.



Perhaps I am Bunter mate. I think the level of troll paranoia is paramount to this thread's subject, wouldn't you agree?

I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothers Grimm
"Is your name Conrad?" "No." "Is your name Harry?" "No." "Is your name perhaps, Rumpelstiltskin?" "Some demon has told you that, some demon has told you that!" screamed the little man, and in his rage drove his right foot so far into the ground that it sank in up to his waist; then in a passion he seized the left foot with both hands and tore himself in two.

Bye bye, Bunter
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher
Right. He sounds artificial...like someone trying too hard. Almost 30 posts in one day? Hmmm....
Vacarillo. Will not be missed.
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
in line with proposals, i'll throw one out there as well-- some may not like it, but i think it could make a huge difference in the quality and quantity of good pictures/ reading on the forum.

I propose a small quarterly fee, payable via paypal or other means, which would go to support the website-- and maybe, if the funds allowed, approving certain $$ for expenses for elected/ moderator appointed members to collect photos and interviews of personalities and goods in the tailored clothing industry. I would personally consider my money well spent for supporting things like that, to be enjoyed on the forum.

Just in case anyone wants to fork out, I call dibs on all expenses paid trips to LA, New York, London, Paris, and Milan fashion weeks, as well as to all the major trade shows.

Fok.
post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
Vacarillo. Will not be missed.
This is my guess as well. Good riddance.
post #60 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by horton
I'm an infrequent poster but a frequent reader. I benefit far more from reading posts from all these folks than I contribute (at least at present as I'm still a newbie in this field and really don't have much to add beyond oohs and aahs).

Lately, there seems to have been a rash of bannings or self-imposed exiles. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons sound and unsound behind such. I'm also sure the transgressions cover a spectrum from the "straw that broke the camel's back" to far worse. In some cases, I imagine it's just emotions -- which everyone has though obviosly people express and act on them in different ways.

Perhaps the rules can be modified with something short of banning.

Though my suggestions may seem childlike, how about some moderation along the lines that some households work. For example, perhaps slight transgressions require some form of public service to compensate, e.g., small contribution to the forum fund to help the administrator with costs and better hardware and software? Some households do something like this when people curse. (My kids are going to college on this fund.) Likewise, perhaps flair ups should require some form of apologies (e.g., via PM or the like).

Just a thought. I just hate to see folks like aportnoy and sysdoc land others leave and even some of the goofballs like vaclav (though it sounds like he made a serious mistake). Perhaps a little modification to the moderation is in order.

Keep up the good work. I truly appreciate the forum.

Freedom of speech dude. No fine or penalty necessary IMHO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A proposal to the moderators