or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A&S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A&S - Page 2

post #16 of 1570
Is the allure of A&S solely to their drape style jacket?

Is there anything out of the ordinary about their vests or trousers?

Manton, did you purchase only a jacket, or did you do a 2 or 3 piece suit?
post #17 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
It is not strictly necessary, but they often go together.

So one could request at A&S that the shoulder not be extended past the actual shoulder and still get the same amount of drape?
post #18 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Charles View Post
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but what do you think about this experience with A&S (silhouette #1). Not everyone who goes into A&S knows as much as you, and so what you get may vary.

Silhouette #1 would be perfect if had a slightly more nipped waist.
As far as the fabric, I don't think that it would grow on me.
post #19 of 1570
I approve of this threak.
post #20 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
5) Quality of sewing is excellent. Not Rubinacci (or Solito) but very, very good. Handsewn intercollars, not just chest pieces. Marvellous buttonholes.

Actually, A&S sewing quality, though excellent, is not up to the sewing quality of all of the high end Italian tailors (including the one and only branch of Campagna-which is in Milan and all four branches of Caraceni-three of which are in Milan and only one of which is in Rome) in the world (regardless of whether they are in Italy or in any country in the world other than Italy).

Objectively (meaning that it is fact-in this case, entirely so), all Italian custom tailoring is in a class by itself, when it comes to every conceivable aspect of quality other than appearance, comfort, drape, fit and shape (which, physically, varies tremendously depending on the person and therefore, is entirely subjective).
post #21 of 1570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
Actually, A&S sewing quality, though excellent, is not up to the sewing quality of all of the high end Italian tailors (including the one and only branch of Campagna-which is in Milan and all four branches of Caraceni-three of which are in Milan and only one of which is in Rome) in the world (regardless of whether they are in Italy or in any country in the world other than Italy).

Objectively (meaning that it is fact-in this case, entirely so), all Italian custom tailoring is in a class by itself when it comes to every conceivable aspect of quality other than appearance, comfort, drape, fit and shape (which, physically, varies tremendously depending on the person and therefore, is entirely subjective).

Considering that you base all your posts such as this solely on what you read from people who actually use these tailors (none of whose products you have ever seen with your own eyes, much less worn, as you yourself are first to admit), perhaps you ought to be a bit more circumspect.

Just a thought.
post #22 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Considering that you base all your posts such as this solely on what you read from people who actually use these tailors (none of whose products you have ever seen with your own eyes, much less worn, as you yourself are first to admit), perhaps you ought to be a bit more circumspect.

Just a thought.

There is nothing wrong with trusting other people’s judgment when the sources are reliable (especially if I will never have the means-in too many ways to specify-to see in person or wear such phenomenal clothing myself).
post #23 of 1570
Thks for this threak, Manton.

While I have ordered nothing with them, I spent a few hours there on two trips this summer getting to know them.

I have -nothing- from my own experience to base my impressions on other than examinations of other houses on the row. I like what I saw, the experience while there and came away confident (but without experience perhaps I'd better say naively hopeful?) that they could do what I want.
post #24 of 1570
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
There is nothing wrong with trusting other people's judgment when the sources are reliable (especially if I will never have the means-in too many ways to specify-to see in person or wear such phenomenal clothing myself).

When you say "Objectively (meaning that it is fact-in this case, entirely so), all Italian custom tailoring is in a class by itself when it comes to every conceivable aspect of quality" you are not trusting the judgement of others, because no one says or believes that. It is also incidentally not true.

If you want my opinion, it is that, on average, Italian sewing in high end tailoring is better than English sewing, and the best Italian makers are better than the best Brits, but one cannot universalize that into a rule that applies to all cases. I have seen some sloppy Italian work, and some excellent English work.
post #25 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
There is nothing wrong with trusting other people's judgment when the sources are reliable (especially if I will never have the means-in too many ways to specify-to see in person or wear such phenomenal clothing myself).

This is like saying that a dish at a certain restaurant or the performance and handling of a certain car is the best in the world without having experienced it yourself. It just doesn't wash.
post #26 of 1570
I have never had a problem with A&S. Their product is great and I am always very happy with it.

John Hitchcock is a true professional.
post #27 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY View Post
Actually, A&S sewing quality, though excellent, is not up to the sewing quality of all of the high end Italian tailors (including the one and only branch of Campagna-which is in Milan and all four branches of Caraceni-three of which are in Milan and only one of which is in Rome) in the world (regardless of whether they are in Italy or in any country in the world other than Italy).

Objectively (meaning that it is fact-in this case, entirely so), all Italian custom tailoring is in a class by itself, when it comes to every conceivable aspect of quality other than appearance, comfort, drape, fit and shape (which, physically, varies tremendously depending on the person and therefore, is entirely subjective).
I mean no offence by this, Audi/Oxxford, but your constant posts of inorganic categorising/grading of bespoke houses are really beginning to grate on me.
post #28 of 1570
Can't wait to see pics. Which fabric?
post #29 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JibranK View Post
inorganic

Inorganic?
post #30 of 1570
Every time someone recommends A&S I think of that poor guy from the london lounge who posted the "three tailors mystery thread" or whatever it was called a while back. It was not my favorite to say the least.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A&S