or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A&S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A&S - Page 78

post #1156 of 1570
post #1157 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxe View Post
Wait! Did Vox just turn a threak back to the actual topic and away from a tangent?

Is this the End of Days???

He must be unwell ...
post #1158 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
This is inaccurate. The mainstream Right opposes illegal immigration from Latin America (or anywhere else). You can choose to believe conservative Americans specifically hate on latinos for some heinously arbitrary, prejudicial reason, or you can realize they are simply emphasizing that our most obvious illegal immigration problem stems from Latin America.

In Europe, it seems many politically moderate people aren't upset about illegal immigration alone, but immigration as a whole. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

You are correct. It is illegal immigration that most American object to. In an earlier incarnation,
I was a Vice Counsel at US embassy in South America, for a time dealing with potential immigrants.
The majority of applicants were rejected. As for Europe's attitude, Chancellor Angela Merkel's speech
on the "Failure" of Germany's multiculture project is instructive:

http://www.indyposted.com/117754/ger...ism-a-failure/
post #1159 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
You are correct. It is illegal immigration that most American object to. In an earlier incarnation,
I was a Vice Counsel at US embassy in South America, for a time dealing with potential immigrants.
The majority of applicants were rejected. As for Europe's attitude, Chancellor Angela Merkel's speech
on the "Failure" of Germany's multiculture project is instructive:

http://www.indyposted.com/117754/ger...ism-a-failure/

The problem with the mainstream right they like to play the immigration cards to gain votes and Merkel is the prime example..

Most mainsteam voters hate illegal immigration but the line between loathing illegal and legal immigrants is very easy to cross....
post #1160 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post
Thats a lot of suits in a short period of time. I can see why they make so many mistakes.

The problem is that they have only a few cutters, so they probably leave most of the work to the making tailors without further control.
With so many orders to fulfil it's no wonder they hesitate or refuse to do alterations or re-cuts.

The "wear it for a while" is a pretty slick move.
If the owner of such a garment is wearing it long enough he either gets used to the "fit" or has met enough people who "like" it (after they heard the tailor's name, that is ).

I still think that at A&S they have problems to serve those men with "disproportionate figures", which in their case is either one with a full chest or wider hips, especially when those demand a tapered waist.
post #1161 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailorgod View Post
The problem is that they have only a few cutters, so they probably leave most of the work to the making tailors without further control.
With so many orders to fulfil it's no wonder they hesitate or refuse to do alterations or re-cuts.

The "wear it for a while" is a pretty slick move.
If the owner of such a garment is wearing it long enough he either gets used to the "fit" or has met enough people who "like" it (after they heard the tailor's name, that is ).

I still think that at A&S they have problems to serve those men with "disproportionate figures", which in their case is either one with a full chest or wider hips, especially when those demand a tapered waist.

When I went for my fitting, the gentleman from A&S told me I had a great body for tailoring...

I just stared at him waiting for a laugh not being exactly as toned as a model ..

He told some of their customers have incredible body measurements and one of them was making Quasimodo looking like an underwear model.
post #1162 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post
He told some of their customers have incredible body measurements and one of them was making Quasimodo looking like an underwear model.

How classy of them.
post #1163 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post
How classy of them.

Some of their customers are 80 plus.

He didn't give me any names...

Come on...

You're watching too much the religious channels ...
post #1164 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post
Some of their customers are 80 plus.

He didn't give me any names...

Come on...

You're watching too much the religious channels ...

Hahaha - nah, but seriously.

You'd expect a little bit more discretion from such 'esteemed' tailors.
post #1165 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINI View Post
Hahaha - nah, but seriously.

You'd expect a little bit more discretion from such 'esteemed' tailors.

It's my fault...

I hate being formal and I tend to create an environment very far from the Suit you Sir Savile row normal customers...

I love having a good laugh ,telling stories and talking sports with them...
post #1166 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
Hitchcock Sr. notes that A&S takes orders for 300 to 400 suits on a three-city US trip. I thought that was interesting.
I'm going to borrow from iammatt ... JFC!

That is far greater than ever I would have imagined. This fall ... two days in SF ... two in Chicago ... five in New York ... that's between 33 and 44 suits a day. How many people do they see ... my appointments have usually been a hour ... so perhaps 8 to 11 per day. Well ... I guess that would be about right if they average 4+/- suits per person.
post #1167 of 1570
Quote:
He told some of their customers have incredible body measurements and one of them was making Quasimodo looking like an underwear model.

In the first episode of the BBC documentary on SR is a scene at A&S and the narrator is heard saying something like "...even the hunchback of Notre Dame would come out looking like Justin Timberlake"...

And JH is saying in a video: "We are like plastic surgeons, we can make you look good"!

Quote:
When I went for my fitting, the gentleman from A&S told me I had a great body for tailoring... I just stared at him waiting for a laugh not being exactly as toned as a model ..

Not being toned like a model makes you perfect for their tailoring. Please post pictures of the final result. I hope you didn't ask for more open quarters...
post #1168 of 1570
Quote:
That is far greater than ever I would have imagined. This fall ... two days in SF ... two in Chicago ... five in New York ... that's between 33 and 44 suits a day. How many people do they see ... my appointments have usually been a hour ... so perhaps 8 to 11 per day. Well ... I guess that would be about right if they average 4+/- suits per person.
How many tailors are present at such events? Just JH and Colin Heywood or a few others? We use a similar model for our MTM business (travelling to various cities in Germany to sell our suits), and 10 to 11 customers per day is not a problem for one tailor (even though it's hard to stay focussed at the end of such a day), but I would doubt that each customer does order 4 suits. And don't forget the fittings, they use up time, too.
post #1169 of 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailorgod View Post
Not being toned like a model makes you perfect for their tailoring.

Ha ha, that is funny
post #1170 of 1570
Not being toned like a model makes you perfect for their tailoring. Please post pictures of the final result. I hope you didn't ask for more open quarters...[/quote]

No way Jose...

I have learned someone else's lesson...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A&S